Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013 Italy hiring regulations allow US citizens now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might get a visa to teach Mandarin, but it's unlikely you'd get one to teach English. Italy already has lots of English teachers (who don't need visas) and as an American citizen, you're at a disadvantage for English teaching. I'm not sure (but I think it's doubtful) that you could get a visa to teach Mandarin and then convert it to teaching English. The whole point about the visa is that you'd be tied to one employer.

A state school in my province offers Mandarin lessons. A private institution also offers Mandarin lessons. I'm not sure the local uni does yet, though.
PeiPei0708

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you teach English in Italy. How did you get a job teaching English in Italy?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIR is an EU citizen with a legal right to work in the country.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal right to work? My good God! What is that all about?!
PeiPei0708

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh~ You're an EU citizen. That's why....

.....if I reeeeeally wanted to teach a college in Italy, should I get a EU citizenship? ....it's not like USA is doing so hot : S (we already dropped the Bill of Rights....what's next? The Constitution?)

Actually, TIR....do you know where I could find out the best language schools in Italy? I mean the top ones. Are private schools in the same situation as public schools?

Thanks so much for all of your answers to me! ^^
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how will you get an EU passport? This happens usually only through ancestry or marriage. Not impossible, but neither is easy, unless your parents really were born in Italy;-) Or you have some marriage prospects.....

Also, more bad news - private language schools can't legally hire non-EU citizens. Universities can if they really need someone specific, but private schools can't really claim that any non-EU teacher has quals that no EU candidate has....

Germany is a legal option for US citizens, as are Central/Eastern European countries. Western Europe basically not, unless you can get the passport somehow, as noted above Cool
PeiPei0708

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaaaahhhhh~~!

yep...just like USA : P Ohh I'm out of luck for marriage...I'm too old. Men want something young and fresh to marry! ^^

Germany? Hm! I don't know much about Germany.
Aww...I really wanted to work and live in Italy.

Plus, non-Western friends of mine that worked and lived in Eastern Europe countries said, it's nice there and lot of work opportunities there, however, you don't make enough to be able to travel around Europe. T T

Originally my dream was to work and live in France or Belgium, but then I found out all the red tape that literally almost blocks anyone but EU to work in those countries, besides the language requirements.

Okay, well then I'm curious about the language schools in Italy. At least which are the best language schools in Italy and where would I find such info?

Thanks again for the info! ^^
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, more bad news - private language schools can't legally hire non-EU citizens
PeiPei0708

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T T .....so any of these language schools or private schools hire a non-EU teacher, it's under illegal terms, right? Meaning I could be thrown in jail or deported immediately, correct?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yip. Possibly tarred and feathered too.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
.....so any of these language schools or private schools hire a non-EU teacher, it's under illegal terms, right? Meaning I could be thrown in jail or deported immediately, correct?

Correct, in theory. Or they could do to you what they do to other "illegals": hold you in a detention camp while they process your deportation order. Tho I think that's treatment reserved for boat refugees rather than US citizens overstaying visas / working illegally. Either way, not a great situation to be in.

The education system in Italy is different from the US one. Just a brief recap about what there is, and what you might find interesting to pursue:

state schools: from elementary up to high school
Very difficult to get work here unless a) you go for something like teaching mandarin, but I have no idea how you'd go about getting a job here. Probably your best bet would be to come over legally, get residency, then put yourself on the regional "teacher list" in order to apply for work as a Mandarin teacher. Few state schools offer it, but I know of one trial school, though I think they're fully staffed.

private schools: very few exist - those that there are tend to be Catholic institutions run by nuns. The vast majority of Italian kids go to state run schools.

language schools: teaching remedial English, exam English etc. Loads of these, but the only Americans working in them tend to be those already married to Italians and living locally. I think it would be very hard to hire a non-EU teacher as they have to jump through visa hoops to get you here to work legally. Most (if not all) wouldn't bother unless they really couldn't find a UK / Irish teacher to work. So your only bet here would be to find a language school offering Mandarin. (Some do exist.)

universities: you do get some offering English language lessons (especially if they run international programmes). Same problem hiring a non-EU as for state schools etc. Most universities, if they offer English as a degree course, will be teaching English literature.

Other opportunities might be in the interpreter schools (a type of uni here). There's one in a place called Forli (province of Emilia-Romagna) but I don't know how they hire.

One huge warning bell about working in Italy. You don't get paid in any state run institution unless you're up to date with your tax payments. This is a new rule the government have just introduced, and it is crucifying me as a freelancer (I pay late, tho this is perfectly legal). In a cash-strapped, economic basketcase like Italy, you do find that the goal posts shift according to who's in power, and which particular group of people is easier to squeeze, who's making policy on the hoof, and so on. Desperate times and all that.
PeiPei0708

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wowow! Sad and depressing as that is to hear what could happen to me if I worked illegally, I'm really grateful and happy to hear so much helpful information. I really appreciate it, everyone! ^^

Have any of you guys heard of this place? It's a language school, too.

Via Lingua Florence
Via Brunelleschi, 1
50123 Florence ITALY
tel +39 055 283161
www.cteflflorence.com
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:
Also, more bad news - private language schools can't legally hire non-EU citizens
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Via Lingua Florence

Uh-oh.

I used to get a ton of CVs from (mainly US) people who'd done a course there and then wanted to work in Rome.

Each and every CV started the same way:

name / contact details / US citizen etc

Profile extolling virtues of teacher such as "team-working", "communicative" or whatever. I'm looking for work in Rome and saw your school listed. I'd love the opportunity to contribute to your team and blah blah blah

Each and every CV ended up in the bin. I just didn't have the time to contact each new teacher and say that we couldn't consider them.
PeiPei0708

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh....okay T T

I'll contact them and see what they say.

Any Eastern Europe countries you guys I should definitely look into?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: