Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Article on tefl in China - realistic or negative?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doogsville

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of useful information on MKL, though it does seem to need a bit more editorial control. The articles from the two guys who run the site, both of whom have spent time working and teaching in China, are generally quite informative, while some of the contributors stuff is very one sided and negative.

Personally I came to China for a change of scene. Though I didn't have a 'career' as such in the UK, just a succession of jobs over the years, I don't consider myself a failure. I never bought in to the 'career -> marriage ->kids-> retire' path to eternal happiness routine. I don't consider teaching English here as anything other than a job I do to make money. I do however give the job and my students 100% and try to improve and learn as I go. I'm married to a local girl, and if I ever leave China it will likely be to go to another South East Asian country like Thailand or Malaysia. I'm done with the UK. I don't need anything they have to offer, and I want to experience as many new and interesting, and occasionally exciting things, in the time I have left to me.

So I guess I don't fit into the author of that articles very narrow view of what the 'typical' older FT in China is like.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was an older entrant into EFL in China and my motivation was a bucket list situation.
Having been told by a high school careers adviser that I didn't have the brains to be a teacher it had always rankled.
Upshot when I became aware of EFL I did a short course and rate my time in China as among the most significant in my life.
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doogsville wrote:
There is a lot of useful information on MKL, though it does seem to need a bit more editorial control. The articles from the two guys who run the site, both of whom have spent time working and teaching in China, are generally quite informative, while some of the contributors stuff is very one sided and negative.
My knowledge in this field of business is truly minimal. Before this thread appeared, I knew nothing about the MKL. I admit it�s caught my attention in past few days. There appear to be a few EFL/ESL sites that are enlightening as much as misleading and there may be some sites that well benefit from their existence. I imagine that some may have to fight local powers to be accessible in the areas and some may need legal assistance to stay out of trouble. From what I have seen around, the EFL/ESL sites seem to have plenty of hands in their operations. I�d be interested to know what kind of �editorial control� should be exercised on the site in case.

Balancing negative with positive reports has been pretty much a political science to media outlets around the world. Should we believe they serve the public or their own interests? I�ve been to Costa Rica, Panama, Venezuela, Columbia, Chile and I would love to visit Iran and North Korea too. People in all countries aren�t much different but the news is. Don�t get me wrong; this is just an example of how editing in this field may work.

As for the MKL, I see some valuable experience shared with the world. There seems to be little to indicate any bias, except that the dudes may hold a grudge against their former employers or the system. Are others with negative views of a similar nature there? The grudge holders, in any case, sound pretty well educated too. Why shouldn�t we believe them? Why should we believe the more positive sites that have so many sponsors, so much control and that edit so carefully their content gets compromised?
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have known one of them since college and he is straight up a honest guy.
milkweedma

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brutal honesty often has a depressing slant to it depending on individual interpretation at any one time ie. ones own mood, feeling, opinion, experience etc etc.
I honestly thought the information on MKL was a great source of information and one should be armed with as much info as possible before heading to China or one is likely to be too naive to not be taken advantage of in certain situations in a culture where relationships and face take precedence over the law and social morality.
LeopoldBloom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to OP for posting this~!

The article from middlekingdomlife and the quote you put... are spot on and really important for potential teachers to read and consider very carefully.

Bloom
LeopoldBloom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I want to add: notice how many agree with the article.

There was a brief (and ridiculous) egging and generalizing of Americans since the site comes from America. But most people see through that kind of powder-puff.

Everyone is well-warned and that's great to see. TEFL in China can be a good experience. If you're a recent graduate or retiree looking for some adventure, it's worth a brief spell and can be fun-- 6 months or maybe even a year; and for a handful of the retiree bunch, maybe much longer if they can adjust. For mid-career folk TEFL in China is by and large a desperation decision that makes life go from bad to horrible. And then you're stuck half a world away in China of all places, yikes. Look it's out there. I'm happy to see plenty of honest, thorough, and well-written info out there now whereas it wasn't there even a few years ago. TEFL in China is by and large a big trap unless you are very careful and understand it for what it is.

Take it easy and be wise and careful out there! Make good choices. You only get one life.

Bloom.
avigoldberg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And from the looks of it, people are spending WAY too much of it on this board, burning bread on other foreigners
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: