Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

School intends to keep my FE booklet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: School intends to keep my FE booklet Reply with quote

School wants to keep my FE booklet - any others have this situation? They have already
had my passport for over a week while they handle the paperwork in getting my
FE booklet. They told the new teachers that when the FE certificate is issued
they intend to keep them. Wont I need it as proof of my status here?
dean_a_jones

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never really needed it for much. Your passport and residency permit are the key ID documents, but they do not list your workplace. I imagine the school wants to keep the FEC as people do have a tendency to lose them or keep them as souveniers when they depart (not sure if there is a charge to the school if this happens). If you really wanted it, just tell them you need it to transfer money at the bank or something, as it lists your workplace (you might in fact need it to do this, I am not so sure as I don't do international transfers). As long as you get your passport back, I would not worry too much.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, foreigners are required to carry their passports with them at all times. I don't and I don't know anybody who does, but you should have easy access to it; i.e., in your residence. (The thread topic says the school is keeping the FEC, but I get the impression from your post that they're keeping the FEC AND the passport.) The residence permit in the passport booklet has the name of your employer, so you don't need the FEC.
wangdaning

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
Technically, foreigners are required to carry their passports with them at all times. I don't and I don't know anybody who does, but you should have easy access to it; i.e., in your residence. (The thread topic says the school is keeping the FEC, but I get the impression from your post that they're keeping the FEC AND the passport.) The residence permit in the passport booklet has the name of your employer, so you don't need the FEC.

My residence permit does not show my employer, you might want to check yours again.

The FEC is a document issued to the FT for identification. Your school should not be holding it.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll double-check with the FAO, but I'm pretty sure that one of the characters on the residence permit is the employer.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't carry your passport around.
Scan or photocopy it (and FEC booklet) and carry those.
Friend had his passport taken from his unattended bag in a classroom.
A couple of days later, he was phoned and after meeting some hoodlum in a nearby mall recovered his passport. It cost 10000RMB ie about 2 months pay.
Odd bit was that after paying the 10K the hood wanted to shake my friend's hand and expressed a kind of no hard feelings statement.
Banner41

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my FEC and/or Workers permit as a way to get home. I showed it to the taxi driver and it was all good......a bit lazy yes....but great on those "late nights" where your Chinese may not be up to par.

In the book it says you are supposed to keep it. If you make a big enough fuss they will probably give it to you.....but that's a small battle that may not be worth fighting.
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:

Friend had his passport taken from his unattended bag in a classroom.
A couple of days later, he was phoned and after meeting some hoodlum in a nearby mall recovered his passport. It cost 10000RMB ie about 2 months pay.
Odd bit was that after paying the 10K the hood wanted to shake my friend's hand and expressed a kind of no hard feelings statement.

Why didn't he just report the passport as stolen and get a new one?

It would have been cheaper.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only consular rep of his country is in BJ - many miles from where this happened and he was a few days out from international travel commitments.
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
The only consular rep of his country is in BJ - many miles from where this happened and he was a few days out from international travel commitments.

There's always ways round these things. Change flight times, get an emergency travel document from your embassy, might involve lots of messing about but better than giving in to a thief.

No wonder he wanted to shake his hand.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of prolonging a side issue I have checked and my friend was exercising the return leg of an air ticket. Like most this had a 12 month max.
He would have had to relinquish the return leg and buy another one-way home.
The point is don't take unnecessary risks with your PP.
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, it's been postponed long enough Smile

My FEC sits in a drawer in the apartment and I've never been asked to produce it for anything. The FAO wanted to keep it at first but I insisted on having it
Although I can't really see how it matters who has it. Unless you really don't trust your employer.
JamesD

Location: "As far as I'm concerned bacon comes from a magical happy place."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you have your passport (an absolute must) don't sweat the FEC. The only time I've ever needed it was traveling in a soft sleeper (many moons ago, may have changed), renewing a visa, and registering residence with local boys in blue. Other than that it's locked up gathering dust.

However, if they want to hold your passport after the paperwork is done (usually no more than a week or so) you should kick and scream. Whoever holds your passport holds the keys to your life. Refuse to leave the office until it's in your pocket.
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Refuse to leave the office until it's in your pocket

Or just report it to your embassy....
dean_a_jones

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wangdaning wrote:
The residence permit in the passport booklet has the name of your employer, so you don't need the FEC.

Quote:
My residence permit does not show my employer, you might want to check yours again.

Quote:
I'll double-check with the FAO, but I'm pretty sure that one of the characters on the residence permit is the employer.

Just to clear this up (unless they just changed this on new permits) the residency permit states your: Full Name, Birth Date, Passport No., Issue Date, Valid Until, Issued at and Purpose of Residence. These are the only spaces I have ever had filled in. There is underneath these a Remarks line as well. I have never had anything printed there, but when they cancel the old to give me a new, the cancellation stamp is put there.

So from this, I don't think your employer is usually listed, just your reason for being here (i.e. work).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: