Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Native Speaker vs. Polish Teachers of English
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:

My favourite subject.

Poland is heavy on gender stereotypes in education - women, even from a very young age, are expected to do "female" things like education and languages. There is some shocking sexism shown by allegedly educated people attending the various technical universities - there was one case recently where Politechnika Poznanska were reaching out to female candidates, and the internet was full of the most appalling sexism.

Teaching just isn't seen as "manly" - hence why Poland has similar problems to the UK in regards to the total lack of male teachers in primary schools.
My K-12 experience in Colorado, USA didn't seem quite so gender biased in favor of women.

Sure, teachers of grades K-3 were overwhelmingly female, but the grades above that had a healthy mix of male and female teachers. Still, men mostly taught 'manly' subjects like P.E., math, shop, history, speech and debate, and science. Women taught English lit., art, ceramics, and foreign languages.

But it wouldn't have been uncommon to find a man teaching Spanish or or a woman teaching P.E.

Do you think it's that different in PL?
sparks

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience, I'd have to basically agree with you Shake, although I would say that primary ed. is a bit more female-dominated than in the states. The fouth grade "przyroda" teacher is always a guy, as is the I.T. teacher, not always the PE teacher, but usually. The wychowawca for grades 1-3 is ALWAYS a slightly overweight girl/woman, usually in the second half of her twenties/early thirties.

This is how it is.... Smile
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
Do you think it's that different in PL?

I think it is, especially now that salaries in teaching haven't kept up with the pace of cost of living and thus the profession becomes even more loaded in favour of the "20 hours and looking after children" women. It's for another thread, but this also guarantees that there won't be any significant reform of teaching (which is badly needed in order to bring up salaries) for the time being.

For instance - take a look here - http://marcinek.poznan.pl/pracownicy - this is the best high school in Poznan. Women are - at worst - equal in the "hard" subjects and overwhelmingly dominate in the soft subjects. Even physics has a 3-1 split in favour of women.

I do think that Poland needs to introduce some incentives to get more men into the classroom, especially primary schools. In the UK now, there are more and more jobs that offer guaranteed interviews for men applying - consider that primary school jobs are very hard to get, a guaranteed interview is a massive benefit. I have a friend who teaches (what would be your) 1st grade - he was given the job solely because he was a man and the school needed a male teacher to look after things like the football team.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: