Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do some young Saudi men use perfume?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guttrah in a GMC Suburban

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Why do some young Saudi men use perfume? Reply with quote

Why do some young Saudi men use perfume that is designed for women? I�m not insinuating anything negative about it; I�m curious and would like to see if there are different ways to better understand a possible subset of the culture here. Confused Oh, I live in Jeddah and teach at a large university. I have seen it happen more than a few times, so I'm thinking that it seems like a popular thing to do. I asked a young Saudi man whom I worked with and he said that is smells better than men�s cologne. Maybe that's all the answer that I should expect. Confused I recommended a nice, clean, citrus fragrance like Hugo Boss Cologne, as he reached into his desk to doused himself with Liz Claiborne.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is... why not?

VS
ultraman111

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from what I undrstand or inferred, its because they dont put on any deoderant and use perfume instead to mask their (phew) scent.
posh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They bowl round the wicket.
Guttrah in a GMC Suburban

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, that would also be an OK answer VS. I'm just interested in how that thinking process came into play and why it didn't stick in other cultures. OK, maybe in Thailand. It's a lot like what Jerry Seinfeld said on his TV show: "Not that there's anything wrong with that". Wink
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... Since they live in a strict, gender-segregated environment, perhaps dousing themselves with perfume simply enhances their thoughts about women and all things forbidden. In other words, the scent of women's perfume has a pleasant affect on their senses and becomes a placebo for the real thing. Hmm... Wink
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear nomad soul,

Hmm, that makes scents.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Regards,
John
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear posh,

Thank you for introducing me to a previously unknown British idiom:

�Britains "most-gay-friendly employer", where 10% of the staff bowl round the wicket, is Staffordshire Police.�

http://www.wordnik.com/words/wicket

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually known straight Western males that wear a women's perfume just because they like it.

Personally I found that after about 10 minutes, you don't smell the perfume that you put on... though everyone else does. I don't know anywhere in the world where they over apply perfume like the Middle East. One can be practically asphyxiated in an elevator or a small classroom. Laughing

VS
gelynch52ph

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Not much of a comment Reply with quote

They are either gay or frustrated sexually. They have nothing to do but drink coffee, eat more rice at a sitting than most families eat in a week or drive fast enough to kill more people than any other country, so they wear perfume and try to seduce the Filipinos.
freesoul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Male Saudis mostly wear Bukhour not perfume. Old-timers can't confuse them Smile
gelynch52ph

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Bukhoor, ouhd, perfume etc. Reply with quote

freesoul wrote:
Male Saudis mostly wear Bukhour not perfume. Old-timers can't confuse them Smile

Bakhoor or Bukhoor is a great home fragrance and is brought out on special occasions like wedding , love moments , or for welcoming guests . Women use it to give their clothes an exotic seducing smell (or more likely to cover up the lack of bathing).

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Bukhoor, ouhd, perfume, if it smells like perfume then it must be perfume.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prophet did it so they are merely following his lead.
CamTam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi men sometimes use perfume because they prefer the smell. They also have men's fragrances and switch when they feel like it. Fragrance is a big part of Arab culture, after all. Laughing
battleshipb_b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is part of the historical/religious tradition. Attar - perfumed oils - are acceptable in the religion. Don't forget historically speaking people even in Europe used perfumes and incense to cover up decomposing flesh and bad smells. Think of the middle ages.

The Arabs were the ones who introduced perfume making to the Europeans. The Bible mentions frankincense and myrrh - ancient Egyptians also used these. Men in the west use after shave and after shave balm. The perfume/toilet water industry is booming with men's products. What about all the Hollywood stars who promote such products? Wearing after shave or perfume is seen as very masculine. And the French seem to agree, check out the duty-free - you can now see a lot of men's perfumes for sale. Don't knock it. I respect people for wanting to smell good and not offend others. Haven't you seen scented men's deodorants on sale in the drugstores? Come on, don't knock it.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: