Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
namfrelle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: a Reply with quote

aaa

Last edited by namfrelle on Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:38 am; edited 3 times in total
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice Reply with quote

They will not help you. They are incidentally called "The Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice".

Things vary from place to place within the Kingdom. What is acceptable in Eastern Province might get you in trouble in Riyadh. Jeddah too is more liberal.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Riyadh fashion Reply with quote

Dear namfrelle,
In Riyadh, mingling with the masses, off-compound wear is simple:
ankle-length dresses, long-sleeved blouses, abaya ( kind of a long, black shawl *beep* head-scarf ). I assume you're a female ( though the outfit would, I suppose, work equally well for cross-dressers ).
Regards,
John
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: I've been " beeped " for using Latin Reply with quote

Dear " Monitor " of this page,
Yikes - " beeped " for using Latin. My original message read:
" ( kind of a long, black shawl cyoum - I've cleverly disguised the Latin word for " with " this time - head-scarf ). "
Uh, gee - I didn't know Latin was obscene.
Regards,
John
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beeped for misusing Latin more appropriately.

We use the Latin word '*beep*' in English phrases when we are referring to some object having a dual purpose. A corkscrew-*beep*-bottle-opener for example. An abaya will only double up as a headscarf in a sandstorm : )

Still I do think it is nice of Dave to have chosen forum software that mindlessly mauls your messages. Kind of preparation for the real thing in Saudi!
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Veni, vidi, vici Reply with quote

Ave, Stephen,
Well, all the ladies I know here use their abayas to cover their heads when the matawas are around. So, in my experience, at least, the use of that forbidden word seems appropriate:

forbidden word = ) prep. with abl. , [with, together with; at the same time as].

Vale,
John
Paul G

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I got a laugh out of your cross-dresser remark.

Look, if you guys want to use words like c u m, put spaces between the letters. This site/software has an autocensor. It's a trade-off that comes with having your comments posted immediately. If certain words, and we all know what they are, were allowed on the site then it would become necessary to use some kind of age verification process to prevent access by minors.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

---"certain words, and we all know what they are,"----

Well we don't actually! You're forgetting the Saudi censor doesn't let us access those sites.

And some of us can spell. Still it's nice to know that ee cummings is not an American Poet but a fixtue in a Chineese brothel :)
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Beep, beep Reply with quote

Dear Paul G,
Arrrggghh - don't we get enough beeping censorship over here? But I see your beeping point about beeping age verification. And, at my beeping age, who wants that to be verified? But beep, do I hate motherbeeping censors, auto or notto.
Beep,
John
P.S. @&**%$#)&
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: