Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL for American in CR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chbern23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: TEFL for American in CR Reply with quote

I'm interested in teaching English in Europe and saw CR get mentioned quite a bit as a destination. I'm an American with a B.S. and no teaching experience, and would be able to come to do my TEFL cert in Nov/Dec of this year. What would my chances look like for landing a job in January? I'd be more interested in working in a city other than Prague, like Brno. Would my prospects be any better in a smaller city like this? And is there enough of a hiring demand in January since it's the beginning of winter semester?
Thanks!
Nikkormat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I arrived in the country in January, with a CELTA, PGDE (British adult ed. teaching qualification) and experience of teaching in Korea and the UK. I love the Czech Republic so far, but I'm struggling to find work. I have a few hours a week, but people tell me that the best work is handed out in September; arrive in January and you get what others have dropped.

This is of course only my experience.

Brno is lovely, by the way. I recommend it (or would do if I had more work!)

Matt
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second what NIkkormat has said: maximize your chances by arriving in August, doing a TEFL cert in Prague in August, and applying for jobs by the end August/first of September.

It's possible to get legal working papers as a non-EU citizen, but it's a hassle, and you've basically got only 90 days from landing in Europe to get it all done (google Schengen zone if you're not familiar).

Timing is really important in this situation.
oipivo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's possible to get legal working papers as a non-EU citizen, but it's a hassle, and you've basically got only 90 days from landing in Europe to get it all done (google Schengen zone if you're not familiar).

This is the biggest thing you need to consider. You will eventually be able to fill up a schedule (it might take some time), but getting legal is extremely difficult. If you decide on Prague, I would HIGHLY suggest paying someone to help you through the process.
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding work and getting legal in Prague is not too hard, but you'll need assistance with both to be successful. Every month I speak with potential TEFL students who contact me, a bit panicked, because they've signed up for a course and haven't heard anything about job assistance or visa help. Without these two things, you won't be able to make it.

If you've signed up with a TEFL course or are planning on signing up with a TEFL course, ask them the following...

1. Do you help with Visas and how?
2. What job assistance do you offer?
3. Please get me in contact with 5-10 recent Non EU graduates to see what the job market is like.

As mentioned above - It Is Not Hard To Find Work in Prague if you have the assistance. We get jobs for our graduates every single month. However, you'll need pre course visa assistance and post course job assistance to make living in Prague a reality these days.

Cheers,
Chris
The Language House TEFL
zcpet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very informative reply Chris, that's some great advice to people looking to get into the TEFL game.

How would you compare the market in CR to one like Poland or even Slovakia/further south/east?
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zcpet,

I think the main difference is in Prague especially there are a lot of trained ESL teachers. There are not as many TEFL cert courses out there as there were 10 years ago, but everyone is trained here. The conditions for teaching are probably better here, but there might be easier work to be found (if you don't have the resources) further East.

Cheers,
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: