Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attending CELTA school first (as non-EU)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zcpet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Attending CELTA school first (as non-EU) Reply with quote

This is a bit of a cross post from the General Europe forum, but anyway--

I'm an American student with about 1.5 years left until I graduate with a BA (Liberal Arts). I'm aware that a non-EU passport holder has about zero chance of getting work in Europe by filling out job applications while sitting behind his computer desk.

So my question is, would I have any chance of success if I came over to get my CELTA at a certified school in Germany? And I would assume in the East would be even better?

I speak passable traveler's German and I'm sure I'd be able to get to B level German in a year or so.

Is this is decent idea, or no?

Thanks!
taxman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, there is no way to do your CELTA in Germany. When I did mine (2008) I had to go to Prague.
JN

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To zcpet: Sounds like a decent idea, though I'm not sure how you define success. You should bring savings with you until you can get some work.

To taxman: http://berlin.school-of-english.de/pages/teachertraining They may do a course in Hamburg, too. Maybe there are courses elsewhere, too.
taxman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link JN,

I remember researching that school when looking for a CELTA program. The website says that they've been around since 2003, but I don't remember them offering a CELTA back in 2008. (Though I could be wrong.) Anyway, seems like they do now. Hmm...Berlin or Hamburg? Well, Hamburg was recently voted Germany's most attractive city......

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20130420-49249.html
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Attending CELTA school first (as non-EU) Reply with quote

zcpet wrote:
I'm an American student with about 1.5 years left until I graduate with a BA (Liberal Arts). I'm aware that a non-EU passport holder has about zero chance of getting work in Europe by filling out job applications while sitting behind his computer desk.

So my question is, would I have any chance of success if I came over to get my CELTA at a certified school in Germany? And I would assume in the East would be even better? Is this is decent idea, or no?

Do an Internet search on celta germany; there are CELTA course providers in the country. However, getting a teaching job is another matter. If you scroll down the page on the Germany forum, you'll see this topic recently has been addressed a couple of times.
zcpet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Attending CELTA school first (as non-EU) Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
zcpet wrote:

So my question is, would I have any chance of success if I came over to get my CELTA at a certified school in Germany? And I would assume in the East would be even better? Is this is decent idea, or no?

Do an Internet search on celta germany; there are CELTA course providers in the country. However, getting a teaching job is another matter. If you scroll down the page on the Germany forum, you'll see this topic recently has been addressed a couple of times.

If I were to run into trouble with job placement, would this be when the freelance route opens up?
taxman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zcpet,

Just so you know this about Germany. Nothing just "opens up."
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Attending CELTA school first (as non-EU) Reply with quote

zcpet wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
zcpet wrote:

If I were to run into trouble with job placement, would this be when the freelance route opens up?

As I suggested, read the other related threads.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Job placement' doesn't happen in Europe. They'll (at best) give you a list of schools to contact. There is no 'placement.'
You write up your CV, you send it off, you hope for the best, you go to interviews, you teach demo lessons, you negotiate contract terms....assuming you are lucky enough to land a contract.

It's all real world stuff here. If some course provider is promising you 'job placement' anywhere in Western/Central Europe, run as fast as possible in the other direction. It's a fairy tale.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JN wrote:

To taxman: http://berlin.school-of-english.de/pages/teachertraining They may do a course in Hamburg, too. Maybe there are courses elsewhere, too.

Cambridge ESOL maintains a list of all CELTA courses worldwide. If you check Germany, you will see four courses listed.

http://cambridgeesol-centres.org/centres/teaching/search.do?source=teacheraward&country=ALL&qualification=10&Input=Search

zcpet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for this useful information everybody.

Is it better to look at larger cities like Berlin and Frankfurt, smaller cities, somewhere in the east, or simply try everywhere?
JN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from what I've heard and what I've experienced, don't come to Berlin. There are too many teachers here. Granted you may eventually find work here to get by, but I've been told that elsewhere in Germany there seem to be more opportunities. It's important to decide where you want to be. As mentioned before, you really have to be on the ground to find work here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: