Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many hours a week to progress with language learning?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perilla

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: How many hours a week to progress with language learning? Reply with quote

I guess ths answer might be different depending on the how difficult the language is, but roughly how many hours of effort do you think are required per week to make headway with a language?

I'm trying to improve my Spanish while living in HK, but don't feel I'm making much progress. I do one hour of personal tuition with a Spanish teacher each week, and probably about 1 to 2 hours of study. Also have to confess that while I love communicating in Spanish when I'm there, I find working on it here to be a very tiresome business.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On average it takes about 2000-3000 hours to become conversant / literate to a moderate level in a language.

Might take a long time at 1 hour per week (20-30 years or more).

Won't take too long at 4 hours of study/practice per day (*about 2 years).

kpjf

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How many hours a week to progress with language learning Reply with quote

Perilla wrote:
I guess ths answer might be different depending on the how difficult the language is, but roughly how many hours of effort do you think are required per week to make headway with a language?

I'm trying to improve my Spanish while living in HK, but don't feel I'm making much progress. I do one hour of personal tuition with a Spanish teacher each week, and probably about 1 to 2 hours of study. Also have to confess that while I love communicating in Spanish when I'm there, I find working on it here to be a very tiresome business.

This question is not so straightforward. Some people learn languages quicker than others. But, have a look at this: Language Learning Difficulty for English Speakers

How long have you been learning it for? What is your current level?

Are there any DELE courses available to take in HK? I did the C2 level about 3 years and it's a really good course to improve your Spanish. You can do different levels such as B1, B2 etc.

I am fluent in Spanish and it took me a really long time to become properly fluent. However, now I am studying German and I find, with my basic level (A2), that reading graded novels is really great for learning new vocab and seeing the proper sentence structure, yet in a simple way.

If your level is higher, I would suggest reading real novels, the newspaper and watching the news on http://www.rtve.es/. Do this regularly. I really improved my Spanish by buying 1-2 newspapers a week and reading as many articles as possible and learning all the new words. Furthermore, I tried to consider, whilst reading, how the sentences were structured to learn how things are formulated in Spanish, i.e. how Spaniards say something rather than literally translating and sounding stupid in the other language.

Also, I would watch interviews on Youtube of Spanish/Latin American people I liked so I could combine learning Spanish with things I actually enjoyed doing. So, once you reach a decent level you can actually learn a language and combine it with stuff you actually enjoy!

Do you do any of this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: