Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina, United States
|Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:30 am Post subject: Should I Accept This Job Offer from WinBe?
|Hello everybody! First of all, I want to thank everybody who participates in these forum discussions. As a newbie, I have found them by far more helpful than anything else on the internet. Also, I apologize in advance for the length of this post.
I am turning 24 in a few weeks and am currently working in the production department of a local news station. I've been doing that since graduating college in the summer of 2011 (graduated with BAs in English and Philosophy). I originally intended to go on to graduate school to get an MFA in Creative Writing but became disillusioned with the worth of the degree after thoroughly researching it.
I got the job at the news station just to make some money while I figured out what I really wanted to do with my life...then I got complacent and stopped researching and fell into the mundane routine of full-time work. I enjoy the people I work with very much, but the job is far too redundant, the pay sucks, and quite frankly I feel like I'm wasting my talents doing remedial work that I could have worked my way into with only a high school degree.
So after more research, I decided the thrill of moving to another country was particularly appealing, and I had always planned on teaching at some level. I discovered Dave's, weighed my options, and decided Japan is my number one destination of choice.
I set up an account on a well-known Japanese teaching website (I'm not sure if the rules allow me to say the site specifically), applied to about 10 jobs right off the bat, and waited. A few days later, I got some e-mails asking for interviews, set them up, and commenced with the typical process.
My WinBe interview went very well, and I was incredibly excited because that was the first job I applied for. About two days after the interview, I received another e-mail saying they (the man who interviewed me - and whom I had been in contact with throughout the process - along with his boss) thought I would be "a great fit" for them and they were very pleased to "offer me a position," but I would need to respond within two days.
Everything sounded awesome to me so far. I replied saying I'd love to work for them, yada yada. Then he sent me a sample contract via email and asked if I had any questions.
I asked if I were being hired specifically for the location I had applied for (as this was left out of the email and I found it important). This is where I begin to worry and second-guess myself.
He said that there were three potential locations I could work in: Tochigi, Chiba, or Saitama. I would meet with the owners of their new franchise schools, and depending on how the meetings go, I would be placed at one of those locations. I would then sign the contract after the 5 day training session.
On the one hand, I understand that employers would obviously like to meet potential employees before hiring them. On the other hand, I was sent an e-mail specifically saying I had been offered a position, but I don't see how that's the case if I don't physically sign a contract until after meeting with these owners. Essentially, I'm worried that I quit my current job, use what little savings I have ($5,000) to get to Japan and get set up, meet with these owners and potentially be sent home with nothing to show for it.
Does this seem like a legitimate concern, or am I over-analyzing everything? Again, I apologize for the length of the post. I just wanted to give enough background information to accurately describe my situation and concerns.