Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HCT--Getting Hired
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DLIguy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shebab wrote:
It seems I've passed their video conference interview and have been "shortlisted for a future position." What on Earth does that even mean? Why can't they just offer you a job, or say no thanks, like normal schools????

You've been pitched head-first into the "talent pool". It's a self-massaging term that they use to make themselves feel important and picky and you, to feel diminished and a dime a dozen.

Quote:
Why can't they just offer you a job, or say no thanks, like normal schools????

It sounds as they've been successful once again.

Just because you've
Quote:
been "shortlisted for a future position."
is no reason to feel anointed. You're just being set up as a portion of their next victims.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shebab wrote:
It seems I've passed their video conference interview and have been "shortlisted for a future position." What on Earth does that even mean? Why can't they just offer you a job, or say no thanks, like normal schools????

Personally I never found many institutions in the Gulf that did well at a quick yes or no on hiring. They used to be very good at a quick no if your credentials were obviously not going to cut it.

It means that you "might" get an offer. Once you've been shortlisted, your CV is sent to the various branches that need teachers. Their committee will peruse your papers and probably view the interview... and see if they are interested.

HCT is a large bureaucratic institution with many branches. Institutions like this couldn't possibly have one department who can give a quick yes or no for 13 different branches spread around the country. It is just now that they can get a handle on how many students they will have (the Ministry is famous for accepting 20 or 30 students at the last minute... per branch... normally those at borderline acceptance scores with parents with wasta). But at this point, it is very late to get any new teachers in for this semester. Visa paperwork isn't known as a process of speed and efficiency anywhere in the Gulf.

Thus, you may very well be looking at an offer for January... if one of the branches chooses you.

VS
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLIguy wrote:

Just because you've
Quote:
is no reason to feel anointed. You're just being set up as a portion of their next victims.

DLIguy,

What kind of music does your neko listen to?
DLIguy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:
DLIguy wrote:

Just because you've
Quote:

DLIguy,

What kind of music does your neko listen to?

Love Psychodelico
shebab

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after jumping through all their recruitment hoops (including video interviews using their cumbersome software program) and sending them the names of references they required (one peer, one direct supervisor), I never heard back from HCT for 5 weeks. I finally emailed them asking for an update, and they said that they had never heard back from one of my referees.

I mentioned that if they had told me this within a week of sending out the reference, I could have taken immediate action to correct the problem-as opposed to this late date in the process. In any case, after the reference finally came through, they informed me it is not sufficient because the referee is not a direct supervisor. After I pointed out that they had already received a reference from my supervisor over a month ago, they sent back a letter telling me that are no longer going to pursue my application.

Everything said about HCT on these boards seems to be true. They love wasting people's time nitpicking over silly hierarchical rules-even for those who haven't even been hired yet to work for them!

Thank goodness I was not hired! Smile
D. Merit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shebab wrote:
Everything said about HCT on these boards seems to be true. They love wasting people's time nitpicking over silly hierarchical rules-even for those who haven't even been hired yet to work for them!

The the love of pointless culs de sac is common throughout the region, but HCT combine this with a level of ineptitude and sloth unusual even for the Arabian gulf countries.

shebab wrote:
Thank goodness I was not hired! Smile

I think the wisdom of that sentiment is going to become more and more clear in the future. HCT used to offer a package that made it worth putting up with relentless belittlement as mentioned in your first comment.

That is changing.
Rena58

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: HCT -- getting hired Reply with quote

Hello,

I've just received an offer to work at Fujairah's men's college. I'm a bit weary about the terms and conditions. Anyone already working there can shed any light about work and living cost, other info?

Much appreciated
Shakhbut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of offer did you receive? We'd love to hear the details...without giving yourself away.
Colleague of mine, oldie but returning after a few years, received offer of 25K inclusive of basic, housing and tickets. Near the mark?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking annual? 25K whats? dollars? sterling? euros?

or

25K Dhs per month?

And wouldn't the ticket costs depend on your home country?

VS
Rena58

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: HTC -- Getting hired Reply with quote

Dear VS, I believe she means Dhs. I'm not so concerned about the money (different figure) but the fact that the monthly salary includes annual ticket (summer holiday) and no relocation. Probation period is way far fetched.

I plan to enquire about it all and a few more points. I spent 4 years in Saudi and even though I would like to spend some time in the UAE I have some other opportunities in the area.

Coming back to my previous question, anyone already there that can comment on working there and living costs?

Thanks very much
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... are offers just a lump monthly payment now and everyone gets the same? (assuming similar CVs) Does this number also include the housing allowance and you are on your own to find a place?

I'm wondering if any consideration is made as to the fact that it is significantly cheaper to fly to London that say... Omaha, Nebraska.

What do you mean by "relocation"? Are you referring to the money that used to be paid on arrival basically to furnish your flat. For many years, it was 30,000 Dhs. So, are you saying that this is no longer paid separately and up front at arrival?

What is the probation period that you find far-fetched? Historically speaking, very few teachers who manage to stay sober and show up for their classes have ever not survived the probation. Actually if it is long, there is benefit to you too... as if you don't like it, you can leave without giving the required long notice.

Hopefully a Fujairah person will show up... or send you a PM with details. It is rather a small place and probably quiet.

VS
(BTW Rena... is your offer for EFL or content courses?)
Rena58

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: HTC -- Getting hired Reply with quote

Dear VS,

Yes to all points that you've mentioned. In addition, we have to buy a car (insurance, maintenance, etc.).

Probation period is now 1 year for a 3 years contract (the Director's can extend it for as long as he deems appropriate afterwards Smile) and a funny comment about "if you continue after the first year..... a month gratuity afterwards.

There is many details with important information missing (I wonder why) and by no means are these documents similar to what I've seen as regular practice/contracts in the Gulf for ESL.

What I am mostly concerned at the moment is the fact that the Mericans are letting the $ drop against the Euro (to increase their exports) and any and all currencies peg to it are suffering since our salaries keep decreasing by the month due to the exchange rates.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exchange rates are always a wild card for non-muricans. Not really much that can be done about that, and it could just as quickly turn the other way for you too. The world economy is pretty unpredictable these days.

I would confirm that you get a gratuity for that first year, even though it is probationary. I could be wrong, but I think it has been a year probation for awhile.

Back in the day when I was there, we never saw the contract until we arrived in the country, and since I was on the road, all I had was the verbal offer when I arrived at the AD airport without even an offer letter. Laughing Ah... the good old days before email when we just dived in without a net.

Hard to know what information is missing when we don't know what they included in your offer letter.

VS
mateacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that returning guy got offered 25000 per month?
is that a a good salary for the UAE or would it be tough?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's $6800 a month or $81.6K a year. What isn't completely clear yet is exactly what it does or doesn't cover. I know that housing is in that number. So that depends on whether one is assigned to Dubai or Fujairah or wherever. I know that they have eliminated the 30K furniture/settling in allowance. Not sure the situation with gratuities or tickets or education allowances.

Right now, ZU, AUS and UAEU are a better deal, but depends on how you define "tough"? That depends on your goals and lifestyle. It would be fine for a single, not as fine for married... and if you have kiddies, it would be approaching "tough" for most. In the past, they always preferred marrieds... and were fine with kids. But it appears that they are going to be making it tough for families.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: