Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HCT--Getting Hired
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus Barkley wrote:
What is really scary is time back in the US. My health insurance pays 80% of the rate of what the procedure would be cost in Dubai. A friend had an extensive medical treatment while back in the US and insurance covered only $10,000 of her $50,000 bill. If anyone knows of supplemental catastrophic insurance that could be purchased I would love to buy it for my trips home.

I always purchased travel health insurance through a well-known British company that was sold at almost all the travel agencies up and down the Gulf. The name escapes me and because I am traveling, I don't have access to my files. The coverage was very good actually. A friend of mine had breast cancer discovered while she was home and it covered almost all of her surgery and treatments.

VS
Neutrino Girl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus Barkley wrote:
For reasons I don't know, contact lenses are twice the price here as the US. I buy a year's supply every summer back home.

Gus, I order my contacts through www.discountcontactlenses.com and have them sent to the UAE. You don't need a prescription and they ship for a flat rate of $14.95. I have been ordering mine and my husband's this way for about 5 years now. Just thought I'd let you know in case it works out more cheaply for you (and frees up your luggage for other things on trips home Very Happy ).
Rena58

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: HCT -- getting hired Reply with quote

VS & Gus

I didn't enquire about education allowance because it doesn't apply to me.
Awfully lucky as I'm covered health wise under the socialized European system in different countries - we have a European Health Card by which we can get care in another country different than your own (one of the basic principles of the EU founding countries). My prescriptions are subsidized 90% in my country. In addition if I have a serious illness - hopefully not soon Very Happy it will be paid for the government (out of taxes).

For quite a few years apart from very high income taxes, we pay a VAT (Value added tax) with everything we buy or use (service) of up to 21%.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rena is referring to the EHIC. If you are a EU national - GET ONE, even if you are working outside Europe. It could be a lifesaver. Should be free if you go to the right website. Watch out for dodgy website s that ask for payment.
Rena58

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: HCT -- getting hired Reply with quote

Scot47

Exactly, and it is absolutely free to any European Union member citizen. In some countries you need to be physically there to apply for it first time around, then you can renew it online.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: HCT-Getting Hired Reply with quote

Returning to the original topic, HCT has been downsizing over the past 5 years in terms of salary and perks. I know that of the 5 years I worked there, we had no raise after the 2nd year. As an ex-pat, there is no legal recourse. Each year salaries for newbies decreased considerably, as did housing and furniture (relocation) allowances. The only constant seemed to be private medical care. As VS and other veteran posters have indicated, it all depends on which emirate where you work as to hours, PDs, meetings, etc. In Rak, housing options are limited and quality questionable. I knew many teachers from Rakess in Rak and I would never subject my son to this kind of education. As for housing, you are at the mercy of unscrupulous landlords who refuse to maintain the premises in "good order." As my former colleagues relate, salaries continue to decrease as do benefits. Let's face it - the UAE knows the world economy and the overflooded EFL market. It's not as lucrative or inviting as it was 5 years ago.
Chuma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just my imagination, or has the HCT advert on the TESOL Arabia Conference job fair disappeared?
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
corniche wrote:
A termination of parental rights is really different to a sole custody order. It's not issued by the same court, for example. The original poster certainly has grounds after a decade of no contact and no support.

What is considered "grounds" in a Western court is not considered at all in the Middle East. Children belong to the father... end of story. And you need his permission in writing.... certified... stamped... etc.

VS

This is a rather strange question, but I must ask: What if the child was conceived via artificial insemination by anonymous sperm donor?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlelauren86 wrote:
This is a rather strange question, but I must ask: What if the child was conceived via artificial insemination by anonymous sperm donor?

What do they put on the birth certificate, I wonder. They would consider any person named the father.

In this part of the world, they don't really have a concept of, for instance, a single woman choosing to make a move like this and have an illegitimate child. Perhaps one could fight it out with their system and get approved to bring a child. We won't know until someone reports making such a try and whether they succeeded - or whether it was worth the aggravation. Laughing

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlelauren86 wrote:

As I suggested on your other thread, this is a question best answered by the UAE Embassy in the US.

veiledsentiments wrote:
In this part of the world, they don't really have a concept of, for instance, a single woman choosing to make a move like this and have an illegitimate child.

Agreed. There would be the social stigma in a part of the world that's heavy on family values.
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlelauren86 wrote:

It's a GREAT question! All, that is, other than having a child out of wedlock.

However, if you have the paperwork to back up the conception invitro by a clinic, then the question could drag the Kaleej into the present century...

...I wouldn't press it during R@m@d@n, tho...
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that it's ok if the husband inserts his own sperm himself in which case they would argue that it's still the husband's child. If it's another man's sperm then not ok.

http://www.al-islam.org/philosophy-islamic-laws-ayatullah-al-uzma-shaykh-nasir-makarim-shirazi-ayatullah-jafar-subhani-72

There's loads of sources via a quick search, most seem to be broadly against AI in Islam.
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
Seems that it's ok if the husband inserts his own sperm himself in which case they would argue that it's still the husband's child. If it's another man's sperm then not ok.

http://www.al-islam.org/philosophy-islamic-laws-ayatullah-al-uzma-shaykh-nasir-makarim-shirazi-ayatullah-jafar-subhani-72

There's loads of sources via a quick search, most seem to be broadly against AI in Islam.

Read it. Now, what is the Islamic thinking on barking at the Moon and walking into walls...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: