Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US criminal check paid by credit card

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paddyflynn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: US criminal check paid by credit card Reply with quote

I need to do a criminal check from the US to get a teaching visa. My employer says the government will accept a report from any state or local police department in the US.

It has to be "an original" which means it has to come through the mail and not be an electronic copy.

I'd like one that could be done with just name dob and tax id, instead of having to be fingerprinted.

I have found a few states that do this, but they all require payment by check. I don't have any checks and need to pay by credit card. Does anyone know of a US police department that will mail a police record check using name, dob and tax id, and that accepts payment by credit card?

Thanks
TRH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the top (sponsored) result for a Google search for "FBI background check." http://rocadc.com/police-clearance-retrieval-service/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAts-kBRCbgrXc1rnXw7MBEiQAnFqTdnQjCNwT-8hx_2gMmY3CPfgmYVkabXDFan8695WVLWQaAvsi8P8HAQ It looks like they will pull an FBI or a local check from most any US jurisdiction and get it authenticated as well.

Remember don't get an apostille for Vietnam. Get a State Dept. authentication. It's different.

As far as your idea about just going to another state, don't local checks have to be made where you live and require a local address on the application anyway? Otherwise people with convictions could just get clean records from Podunkville.

Actually you can pay for an FBI check by credit card. Two drawbacks are that the FBI will only mail it to a US address and you need fingerprints. You can download the form and do your own but it's difficult to get them right. Too bad but the State Dept website says that consulates and embassies will not do it. It seems to me that assisting citizens in getting FBI documentation would be an appropriate consular service. Also by the time you get done, the mailing costs may be greater than the fees for a service like the above.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd that they insist it has to be the "original" and not electronic because some electronic copies ARE the only and original copies. I had my criminal check done online from my state's local sheriff's department. They sent the result to my email, I sent it to my school, they printed it for me, I got it notarized and authenticated, and boom. Work Permit granted.
Newcomber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
Odd that they insist it has to be the "original" and not electronic because some electronic copies ARE the only and original copies. I had my criminal check done online from my state's local sheriff's department. They sent the result to my email, I sent it to my school, they printed it for me, I got it notarized and authenticated, and boom. Work Permit granted.

That's great everything went so smoothly for you. I'm in Hanoi having to grapple with these new regulations. I have to send off for my background check and have it sent back to me here in VN. A part of the process for requesting the background check is mailing in fingerprints too (for my state). I wonder what that will entail. What a headache! I'd rather not pay courier services to take this document to the appropriate office at state level in the US. I'm wondering where you got your background check authenticated. Do you know if it's possible to have the background check authenticated at the US embassy here in Hanoi? I'm sure one of the many notaries here in Hanoi will suffice for notarisation, right? Many thanks for taking the time to let us know what it's been like for you.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it notarized at the Consulate in HCMC, but the Embassy does it as well. They used to offer authentication services at the Consulate so you could do both in 1 visit, but this latest time they sent me to a Vietnamese office several blocks away.

There, I went in, had to sit down at a computer and fill in a form they have there, go to another office next door to get it printed, then brought it back to the computer room and gave it to the people behind the counter. They said it would be ready the next day or they can mail it directly to your school.

If you're in Hanoi, you have it much easier to get it all done because you have the Embassy right there. Living in Danang, I have to fly to either Hanoi or HCMC whenever I need another piece of paperwork stamped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: