Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer Camps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shroob

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Summer Camps Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know about working in a summer camp in Italy. Specifically are there any reputable organisations or schools you could recommend?

Where/when will jobs be advertised? I've looked on Dave's job board but there was nothing there. I fear it may be a 'feet on the ground' situation, is this true?

I'm 24, male, 3 years' teaching experience (China), CELTA and U.K. citizen.

Thank you for your time,
Shroob
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shroob

I can't recommend specific schools etc, but the only place I've seen any summer camps advertised is on tefl dot com.
Shroob

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
Hi Shroob

I can't recommend specific schools etc, but the only place I've seen any summer camps advertised is on tefl dot com.

Thanks, I'll keep on eye on the website. There's a ton of jobs offered for summer work in the U.K., but I want to escape!
Caporetto

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

tefl.com, eslbase, totalesl
Sublime

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:
Teacher in Rome wrote:
Hi Shroob

Thanks, I'll keep on eye on the website. There's a ton of jobs offered for summer work in the U.K., but I want to escape!

Yeah. I'm also looking for the Holy Grail - a Tefl.com type site but for other European Countries.

Too easy to find a summer job in the UK....but......... Crying or Very sad
Caporetto

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tefl.com is overwhelmingly for other European countries. Are you having trouble with it?

Italy is the next biggest market for TEFL summer camps after the UK, I'm confident that a well turned-out border collie could get a job on one. Shocked
Shroob

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caporetto wrote:
tefl.com is overwhelmingly for other European countries. Are you having trouble with it?

Italy is the next biggest market for TEFL summer camps after the UK, I'm confident that a well turned-out border collie could get a job on one. Shocked

I'm not having trouble with it, just that there are only 2 jobs listed for Italian summer camps and I haven't heard back from either of them. Is it still too early? I wouldn't have thought so.
Caporetto

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Over the last few weeks there have been many more than two similar jobs posted, so hang on in there. Also eslbase and totalesl, just in case.
dackinator

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google "english experience", they do summer camps all over Italy. You may be too late for this year, but it is worth a try if you are quick.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see any summer camps advertised on tefl dot com this week. Most of the times I've heard about summer camps it's been more a question of kids being sent to the UK for two weeks, rather than them go somewhere else in Italy. You could try EF - they have summer schools all over the place but I don't know how well they pay.

It may well still be too early for camps in July / August. Expect a rash of vacancies the first week of July "to start immediately"! (Welcome to the world of Italian forward planning...)
Caporetto

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often the vacancies don't look ostensibly like summer camp vacancies. They advertise for English Teachers and it isn't until you start to dig that you see it's for summer courses.

English camps in Italy is enormous business, I'm amazed it's escaped your attention.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
English camps in Italy is enormous business, I'm amazed it's escaped your attention.

What can I say? Escaped my attention it most definitely has! I teach a lot of school age kids, and in the two provinces where I've lived and worked, I've never heard of any of them going to a summer camp in Italy to learn English. To the beach with their families, yes. To the mountains with their families, yes. To the UK for two weeks to study English, yes...

I think your point about digging a bit further into the vacancies posted is a good one. Most of the institutions I've ever been involved with tend to close down over summer, so this might be a good way for teachers on the ground here to supplement their income over the summer months. Unless they're sick of the sight of Italian school age kids, that is.
Shroob

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
I didn't see any summer camps advertised on tefl dot com this week. Most of the times I've heard about summer camps it's been more a question of kids being sent to the UK for two weeks, rather than them go somewhere else in Italy. You could try EF - they have summer schools all over the place but I don't know how well they pay.

It may well still be too early for camps in July / August. Expect a rash of vacancies the first week of July "to start immediately"! (Welcome to the world of Italian forward planning...)

I'm living in China... these guys could give anyone a run for their money when it comes to logic/forethought!

Same experience with tefl.com, hardly any summer camp jobs. I also look at 'non-summer' job adverts to see if they've been put in the wrong category, but to no avail.

To be honest, I'm not that interested in the wage, it's more of the experience/something to do. Of course, the money is a factor but not the main one. I'd rather go somewhere professional with a decent employer than some money-grabbing operation. Though at the moment beggars can't be choosers!
ash1008

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed a few summer camp jobs on tefl.com this week.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedicated posted this on the Summer Camps thread in the General Europe Forum:

Quote:

If you fancy Italy, check out summer camps through

http://www.aliceincitta.org

They offer about 300 euros a week + room and board.

This was recommended by a former student of mine who was studying Italian.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: