Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Abroad without TESL/TESOL/CELTA Yes or No?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tharealness

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Teaching Abroad without TESL/TESOL/CELTA Yes or No? Reply with quote

I am planning to go overseas(probably Japan or Korea) later on this year or the beginning of next year. I was planning on going without getting my certification until my first or second year so I can save money to get certified in the first place. I do have a bachelor's degree and all of the qualifications that they do mention. Many of the companies and schools that I have used to look for jobs say they will offer training from anywhere between 1-4 weeks before I am put in a classroom setting. I wanted to get some opinions about going without getting TESL/TESOL/CELTA certified first. Is it a good idea...or will I get in over my head. I do not have any experience teaching but I am confident and enthusiastic about pursuing these opportunities.

Thanks

Sorry for the repost...I messed up with the title on the first one Admins
tttompatz

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching Abroad without TESL/TESOL/CELTA Yes or No? Reply with quote

tharealness wrote:
I am planning to go overseas(probably Japan or Korea) later on this year or the beginning of next year. I was planning on going without getting my certification until my first or second year so I can save money to get certified in the first place. I do have a bachelor's degree and all of the qualifications that they do mention. Many of the companies and schools that I have used to look for jobs say they will offer training from anywhere between 1-4 weeks before I am put in a classroom setting. I wanted to get some opinions about going without getting TESL/TESOL/CELTA certified first. Is it a good idea...or will I get in over my head. I do not have any experience teaching but I am confident and enthusiastic about pursuing these opportunities.

Thanks

Sorry for the repost...I messed up with the title on the first one Admins

Is it a good idea = yes. It beats getting dumped into a classroom and being told "teach" while having no idea what you are doing.

IF you want to work at a government job in Korea (assistant language teacher in a public school) then it is needed. http://www.epik.go.kr .

If you are going to work in a language center in either country then it is not needed.

IF you are going to be working with little kids they are largely useless beyond learning how to create a lesson plan.

IF you want further discussion about Korea you will need to take this to the Korean forums (separate registration required). Korean centered discussion are not permitted on the international forums. http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/index.php .

coledavis

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diametrically opposed view to be found on your other thread!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: