Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long to get work permit and letter of invitation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshbhoy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: How long to get work permit and letter of invitation? Reply with quote

Hi i posted this in the work permit thread but it seems that the stickied threads don't get many replies. Anyway I completed my medical and gave my school a copy of all my documentation like my notarized degree and medical form etc. They advised that they will now apply for my work permit and visa and that it can take 8-10 weeks. This seems rather long so just wondering how long it takes on average?

Also as a side note do I require proof of funds to enter China or is that just for tourist visas? Just I might be going over with only an overdraft but if I do need proof of funds then I can get family to put money in then take it out again.

Last edited by joshbhoy on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be ready when it's ready. At this time of year, 8-10 weeks will get you in at the end the fall semester.
joshbhoy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was sort of wanting to get away before Christmas but seeing as it looks like its going to be a while I'll need to maybe find some temp work just now to keep busy. My contract start date says the 26/11/16 or if later whenever my visa is issued. I get the point about the term coming to an end but the place I applied advertised as needing staff who could start asap. Its more the fact that its out of my control and just seems a long time to wait.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be seeing it in a week or so. Schools have a way of cutting it close because they don't want FTs hanging around until they're needed. You might want to send an email to the boss.

Is this a public school?

If you have sent the school a scan of your passport, a signed contract and the authenticated degrees and your medical paperwork, that's it. You don't need to show any sort of proof of funds (though you should bring at least the cost of a return plane ticket back home in case things go south).
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get your highest degree authenticated at the Chinese consulate that serves the particular school you got the degree from. If they require this from you (and they will) it takes a little less than a month to do. It's best to have it done already. In order to have your degree authenticated, it has to be apostilled by the Secretary of State of the state your school is in. In order for it to be apostilled it has to be notarized by the school registar and certified by the clerk of the county the school is in.
joshbhoy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
You need to get your highest degree authenticated at the Chinese consulate that serves the particular school you got the degree from. If they require this from you (and they will) it takes a little less than a month to do. It's best to have it done already. In order to have your degree authenticated, it has to be apostilled by the Secretary of State of the state your school is in. In order for it to be apostilled it has to be notarized by the school registar and certified by the clerk of the county the school is in.

I was advised they just needed it notarized by a solicitor, which I did. As said sent all my documentation like a passport picture, a scan of my passport, criminal background check, medical form, notarized degree, details of my nearest consulare/visa centre and my address. Anyway I wasn't aware that I had to have it apostilled. Do you reckon the delay could be that the school are completing this step on my behalf or something similar?
Osiry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems odd that you only had to have it notarised. I am going through the same process and had to have it notarised by a solicitor, then sent to two different government departments for authentication and translation, then I had to take it to the Chinese consulate for them to stamp it.
Maybe it's a different process in your country, but I'd imagine you'd at least have to have it authenticated and translated by the Chinese consulate.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the USA, they have to be sent to the Secretary of State in the state the college is in before being sent to the consulate. Also you have to hand deliver and hand pick up the documents or us a courier. They don't except mail ins.
joshbhoy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the UK so as you say may be different but yea I've not been advised any of this so hopefully don't have to do it. I'll update the thread when I hear something back from the employer.
joshbhoy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a slight update from the employer saying that the local government have asked me to take my background check to my local Chinese consulate to be authenticated. Only issue is my local consulate is only open 2 days a week (ridiculous i know) and my visa application centre were no help at all, they just advised all they do is collect applications and send them.

If i hadn't already spent a fortune on documentation and medicals etc I would probably give up as this process is ridiculous and even getting a work permit for the USA wasn't this difficult.

Last edited by joshbhoy on Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
jimpellow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If i hadn't already spent a fortune on documentation and medicals etc I would probably give up as this process is ridiculous and even getting a work permit for the USA wasn't this difficult.

As desperate as the teacher situation is becoming in China, it would be infinitely worse if applicants knew the true extent of expense and suffering they were going to be facing upfront.
joshbhoy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:
Quote:

As desperate as the teacher situation is becoming in China, it would be infinitely worse if applicants knew the true extent of expense and suffering they were going to be facing upfront.

I was being a bit harsh I'm really looking forward to going just a little frustrated in the process and the lack of guidance. Didn't quite anticipate the cost etc but still looking forward to going.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police check authentication raises some questions. In the USA there are different kinds of checks, local, state and FBI. Local checks take one day to get, State checks two weeks, FBI checks on average 2 months. Keep in mind these checks have to be apostilled (if a US citizen). Serious problem because an apostilled check is only good for I think 6 months (it depends on what the Chinese say).

However my police checks didn't need to be authenticated. Applying to China is a mess, insane. Be prepared before with authenticated police checks and highest degree certificates before leaving your current job to obtain a Z visa. Also for a Z visa you will need to show your previous visas to China, hopefully if it's on an old passport, you still have the old passport. The Chinese immigration people are insane. So much demand for native English teachers and they do this! Also the pay and benefits for most coming to China are not that great, although the jobs are more secure. Once you're in they want you to stay.
Firearcher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Insane Government Reply with quote

My recruiter said the Chinese gov't told her that

"I must have my CRC notarized by the Canadian Embassy in Canada"

Is there a Canadian Embassy in Canada???? Not that I know of. This is crazy and i told the recruiter this. But the officer is firm and this is what he says.

Comments? Help? What must I do?
jimpellow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Insane Government Reply with quote

Firearcher wrote:
My recruiter said the Chinese gov't told her that

"I must have my CRC notarized by the Canadian Embassy in Canada"

Is there a Canadian Embassy in Canada???? Not that I know of. This is crazy and i told the recruiter this. But the officer is firm and this is what he says.

Comments? Help? What must I do?

I am thinking that he is thinking what we Yanks would call our State Department.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: