Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can my Philippina wife join me if I get work in Kuwait?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
knautica

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Can my Philippina wife join me if I get work in Kuwait? Reply with quote

I'm planning to apply for ESL jobs in the Kuwait.

If I manage to get work there, can my Philippina wife get an entry visa to join me?

Thanks for any information.
3xlucky

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

I'm no expert, but I've been in Kuwait for 5 years and from what I know, if you are legally married than you can sponsor her. A colleague of mine has a Peruvian wife and he sponsors her (I'm a teacher by the way). However, getting all the marriage certificates verified was a bit of an ordeal as they were not married in the US.

So, there are 2 main issues that I can see:

1. getting your marriage certificate certified by the Kuwait embassy of your home country that it is a real marriage certificate (this usually means it has to first go to a foreign affairs office in you home country before the Kuwait embassy)

2. Filipinos are definitely discriminated against here in Kuwait. There is a large Filipino community, but Kuwaitis consider them workers and low in the social hierarchy. So, getting work for a decent wage will be very difficult and if she is ever out on her own, some Arabs might consider that she is prostituting (this is not overly common, but I would be naive to say that Asian women on their own are sometimes harassed...as are North American)

Good luck.
3xlucky

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Sponsoring wife Reply with quote

Greetings,

I'm no expert, but I've been in Kuwait for 5 years and from what I know, if you are legally married than you can sponsor her. A colleague of mine has a Peruvian wife and he sponsors her (I'm a teacher by the way). However, getting all the marriage certificates verified was a bit of an ordeal as they were not married in the US.

So, there are 2 main issues that I can see:

1. getting your marriage certificate certified by the Kuwait embassy of your home country that it is a real marriage certificate (this usually means it has to first go to a foreign affairs office in you home country before the Kuwait embassy)

2. Filipinos are definitely discriminated against here in Kuwait. There is a large Filipino community, but Kuwaitis consider them workers and low in the social hierarchy. So, getting work for a decent wage will be very difficult and if she is ever out on her own, some Arabs might consider that she is prostituting (this is not overly common, but I would be naive to say that Asian women on their own are sometimes harassed...as are North American)

Good luck.
middeastgirl

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She will also have to go through the Kuwaiti Embassy in her home country, and get a complete medical check up.
knautica

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your help Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: