Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Program Bell Poznan
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eihpos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Program Bell Poznan Reply with quote

Hi,

Has anyone any recent info about or experience of Program Bell Poznan?

I would also love to hear about the city, epecially things to do, cost of living and social life
Also, is it easy to find private classes there?

Thanks!
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Program Bell are well respected in Poznan, they're good employers and look after their staff. I know some people working for them and they have good things to say about them in general. However - they are demanding - and from what I've heard, they're not afraid to fire someone who doesn't meet up to their expectations.

Things to do - everything that you'd expect in a fairly large European city.

Cost of living depends on your expectations. If you give us an idea of the salary on offer, we can give you a realistic answer.

Social life - no problem. There's a healthy expat community, as well as plenty and plenty of people to meet if you don't like expats. The city does shut down during the summer, but there are still plenty of professional people around.

Private classes - competition is high. You can certainly find them, but as the economic crisis starts to bite Poland, they are starting to dry up.

Tell us more and we can tell you more.
eihpos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

OK - They're offer 720 PLN per week for 18 - 19 lessons. This is only 40 zloty a lesson, which seems kind of low. My main worry is living on 2800 PLN and this doesn't include accommodation. Can it be done?

I have the impression that there will be more classes as she mentioned the current teachers are overloaded, but I am mainly worried that I will struggle on this salary.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eihpos wrote:
Thanks!

OK - They're offer 720 PLN per week for 18 - 19 lessons. This is only 40 zloty a lesson, which seems kind of low. My main worry is living on 2800 PLN and this doesn't include accommodation. Can it be done?

I have the impression that there will be more classes as she mentioned the current teachers are overloaded, but I am mainly worried that I will struggle on this salary.

It's a poor salary by their standards - I've never worked directly with them, but unless they've followed Empik and Profi-Lingua's lead and slashed salaries (which is possible - more and more teachers are here) - they're offering you less than the going rate.

2800zl isn't terrible and working for Program Bell will open a lot of doors, but I'd be holding out for 50zl/hour in the current environment.

The other question - is it 2800zl net or gross, and are they offering to pay for your health insurance? If they are paying health insurance/pension, then 2800zl net is a good deal - but I doubt they are.

A good way of explaining the salary - if you want to make this your home, it's a great salary to start. You'll have enough cash to learn how Poland works and go on and get the real money on the table, and Program Bell is well respected here.

But if you're just looking for a 9 month "in and out" type arrangement, then 2800zl isn't good at all.

The costs of living - it also depends on your expectations. If you're happy to share a flat (which I would recommend for a newbie - you'll get the chance to actually get to know Poland rather than in an expat bubble) - then 2800zl is more than enough.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
A good way of explaining the salary - if you want to make this your home, it's a great salary to start. You'll have enough cash to learn how Poland works and go on and get the real money on the table, and Program Bell is well respected here.

But if you're just looking for a 9 month "in and out" type arrangement, then 2800zl isn't good at all.

The costs of living - it also depends on your expectations. If you're happy to share a flat (which I would recommend for a newbie - you'll get the chance to actually get to know Poland rather than in an expat bubble) - then 2800zl is more than enough.

Hmmm... This doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

With 'in an out' expectations, you're not going to be able to earn much more than 2,800/mo.

You should know well delph: The opportunities to earn better money over here just don't normally present themselves until you've cut your teeth with a few years of exp. in PL.

Who here amongst us was earning well over 2800zl/mo. their first year teaching in PL? I know I sure wasn't.

eihpos, whether you plan to stay in PL for a semester or a century, you should seriously consider Bell's offer. However, it wouldn't hurt to try and squeeze a few more zl per hour out of them first Wink

BTW, eihpos, I don't know whether your a man or a woman, but a lot of guys come here with 'in and out expectations' particularly with the girls here. But they often find themselves staying much longer than they expected. Just food for thought.

Last edited by Master Shake on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was getting around 2500zl in the first year here, so like you say - it's a good starting point to get much more. Particularly if the poster is female - a girl can make a lot of money quite quickly here, particularly if they're able to teach children properly.

But yes - I'd try and hold out for 45zl an hour - but with the situation in many language schools in Poznan, I'd be inclined to accept 2800zl if it was guaranteed each month.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Except for the bit about girls 'particularly' earning more money. Why can't men earn decent money teaching children? I do. Last time I checked I was paid the same as the female teachers...

And what's this all about then:
delphian-domine wrote:
You're contradicting yourself now.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
Agreed. Except for the bit about girls 'particularly' earning more money. Why can't men earn decent money teaching children? I do. Last time I checked I was paid the same as the female teachers...

And what's this all about then:
delphian-domine wrote:
You're contradicting yourself now.

It's just much easier for women - I'm pretty sure you're the same as me (putting across a good image to parents, not coming across as only being interested in beer and girls) - but most men simply don't come across too well.

(I'm speaking about under 13's here specifically - not teenagers who respond far better to a no-nonsense guy than a sweet girl!)

That quote - what I mean - 2800zl wouldn't be enough, because you would want to make the most of the 9 months in Poland and 2800zl wouldn't be enough to do that. Someone here for the long run can accept that the first year might be a bit crap - but it picks up drastically from then on. They'd also need to save money for the summer/to move on - something that a person looking to make a run at it wouldn't suffer from.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Rent (+czyncz) is likely to be around 1,500Zl...that leaves you less than 2k to live on. It's undoable.

Could you live in the States on less than $600 a month? I mean LIVE, not exist. According to CNN $40 a day is the poverty rate....and the US is cheaper than Poland.

Do the math-Go figure.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Rent (+czyncz) is likely to be around 1,500Zl...that leaves you less than 2k to live on. It's undoable.

Could you live in the States on less than $600 a month? I mean LIVE, not exist. According to CNN $40 a day is the poverty rate....and the US is cheaper than Poland.

Do the math-Go figure.

As has been said above, it's fine for someone starting out here. You can easily double that with a bit of common sense after the first year.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: but Reply with quote

That first year won't be much fun.
oipivo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...and the US is cheaper than Poland."

Did we live in the same country? So far, Poland has been cheaper than any place that I've lived in the US. The only things that are more expensive are name brand electronics and clothes. Although stores like H&M are pretty comparable to US prices. I would say that the cost of living is significantly lower here.
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oipivo wrote:
"...and the US is cheaper than Poland."

Did we live in the same country? So far, Poland has been cheaper than any place that I've lived in the US. The only things that are more expensive are name brand electronics and clothes. Although stores like H&M are pretty comparable to US prices. I would say that the cost of living is significantly lower here.

I agree 100% that life in Poland is cheaper than in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with ecocks and oipivo. Poland is significantly cheaper than the US for most things.

First and foremost, because in most parts of the US a car is a basic necessity, In PL public transportation is reasonably priced and efficient in most cities.

Rent varies greatly around the US, but in big cities you're certainly going to pay more in the US than in Poland.

The OP would do well to take the Bell job and share a flat for the first year. Sharing a flat is a great way to make friends in a new city.

If a one-year stint and travelling is the aim, some money should be brought to finance this.

If the OP wishes to stay longer he/she will probably be able to find a better job and make significantly more next year.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

So...clothes, electronics-what about petrol, phone calls, hotels, holidays and a net/tv packages and real estate outside the big cities? Yes property...look in Florida right now and you can get a house with a pool for less than $200,000. Try that in Poland in a place like Wroclaw, Warsaw or Poznan.

Then there's the quality issue. Are you comparing like with like? I know I'd get better food and service in America just about anywhere than Poland for more or less the same price.

And what's an average salary in the States? A lot more than Poland that's for sure.

Granted veges are cheap in Polish markets as are the processed meats...if that's what you want to stuff in you....but beef for example is extortionate in Poland and very shabby.

Relatively, you're better off in America on an average salary...that's why Poles love moving there. Duh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: