Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to teach Tennis in Ho Chi Minh City

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Can I find a job teaching tennis in Ho Chi Minh City?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

CELTA2013

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Trying to teach Tennis in Ho Chi Minh City Reply with quote

I will be pursuing CELTA training at the Apollo but I would also like to find a job teaching tennis somewhere. I am a very good player and have coached for many years.
Does anyone know about the possibility of getting a tennis teaching position in Vietnam? Thanks for your help!
Anh Dep

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you speak fluent Vietnamese, if not, you wont be able to converse with players you are teaching. Vietnamese love tennis and there are lots of very cheap tennis coaches here.
charlesmarlow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The market for a foreign tennis coach in Vietnam is not the Vietnamese but for other non-native English speakers. There is an English teacher in HCMC who has been teaching tennis for a number of years. I suspect some of the readers know who he is. His main clients are Japanese, Korean housewives
and he teaches them at the tennis courts at their apartments. He also works directly with the 5 star hotels in HCMC who have Asians living in HCMC who use their tennis courts and want a coach. He charges 20-25 USD per hour. He also was a tennis coach in the USA with excellent references. You will need documentation regarding your experience teaching tennis, too many foreign scheisters in HCMC.

Regarding the CELTA in HCMC, Apollo does not even compare to ILA. ILA has better facilities etc etc, Apollo is moving in the direction of Neverlearn-rubbish!
skarper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Charles above - if it's not too late ditch Apollo and go with ILA. ILA is decidedly so-so but better than Apollo.

A problem with CELTAs is it's very much down to the trainers and organisation.

Language Link in Hanoi used to be good - a friend did their CELTA and had no complaints.

As for the tennis thing it's a definite maybe. You will have to be damn good and have all your ducks in a row. And it will take months to build up a client base and be hard work. Also - it will conflict with your TEFL work and preclude any full-time contracts.

I suspect you will drift more and more into teaching English as the money is easier and just do an odd tennis lesson now and then.
jerseyblue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't listen to the naysayers! I happen to know an expat here who was a tennis coach for other foreigners and rich Vietnamese. I will PM you with details of where to start your search.
Anh Dep

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jersey,why the smart remark of naysayers. The OP didnt say they wanted to teach expats, just said teach tennis. So therefore, I suggested if teaching the average VN, they would need to know Vietnamese.Simple as that,maybe you missed the point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: