Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work conditions...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unpossible251

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Work conditions... Reply with quote

Hello everyone, first time post here.

I want to ask everyone here, hopefully 'old hands' in Vietnam, about what I should do now.

I took this job in VN, knowing full well that the employer was a "last resort" kind of guy. The school has a reputation, a bad one, and i'm sure that some of the regulars might know about the Ocean of horror stories that are out there.

Anyway, after getting picked up from the airport i got shuttled off to one of the schools' franchises, about a hundred k's from hanoi. The boss said he was going to get my visa converted, and took my passport. That was about four weeks ago.

I spent the first two weeks, teaching in a franchise about 100 k's away from the city, and then the last two weeks about 70 k's from hanoi.

Pay day is today, so thats why i havent immediately bailed. And the thing is, i hate the big city, so i dont mind doing a few months out here in the boondocks, even though its a bit of a backwater.

Oh, by the way, its a 7 day working week... But less than 20 hours a week.

Long story short, is, i know i can get better. But, i'm leaving VN in august anyway, so my question is, just how much less worse are work conditions in hanoi? Could i find work there for 2 months? Exactly how loud should my siren be ringing on account of passport situation - nagging whine or deafening shriek?

Btw, im a 28 year old australian, with a degree, 120 hour tefl cert and about 2 years experience.
skarper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very worrying situation.

Too late for you now but

No1 rule is NEVER LET THEM HAVE YOUR PASSPORT. I can't imaging what you were thinking, but as I say too late now.

In your potentially dire situation I'd wait to get paid - no more than a day or two late then demand immediate return of your passport.

If they refuse or delay call your embassy and report it stolen.

Have bags packed 24/7 and know how to leave town in a hurry.

I can't see a happy ending to this but thanks for posting as it may provide a warning to others.
unpossible251

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarper:

Thanks for your input. And thanks for keeping it about "what to do now", and not dwelling on "what shouldnt I have done".

Any others?
BenE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be proactive when you go out and make contacts. Don't just get wasted with the other foreign teachers. Bad things can happen quickly here but Vietnamese often solve things by the friends and the contacts they have and it normally involves mediation. Knowing the local chief of police or lawyer guy can help you out in a sticky situation. The company certainly can't keep hold of your passport and can't keep you hostage or threaten you here.
spycatcher reincarnated

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Labor law

"The new Labor Code also prohibits employers from keeping employees� original identification cards and qualifications when signing and performing labor contracts. Moreover, an employer may not require an employee to pay cash or provide any assets to guarantee performance under the labor contract."

http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=d414c255-0475-49b7-80d2-92bf8b585350
Dekadan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An option is to try for a part-time gig at one of the language mills. No commitments, but no guarantees either. Likely that would mean moving to one of the big cities. Sadly, that's where most of the jobs would be located and where your best chances will be.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spycatcher reincarnated wrote:
Labor law

"The new Labor Code also prohibits employers from keeping employees� original identification cards and qualifications when signing and performing labor contracts. Moreover, an employer may not require an employee to pay cash or provide any assets to guarantee performance under the labor contract."

http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=d414c255-0475-49b7-80d2-92bf8b585350

Sorry to derail the thread a little bit, but I have a follow-up question in regards to the quoted text.

There's a school here in town that pays teachers around $22 per hour, but they keep $2-3 per hour each month to be paid when the teacher finishes the contract. If the teacher doesn't finish their contract they will not received the accumulated money they've earned over the year... usually amounting to $2000. This isn't the contract ending bonus, it's their pay they've earned each month. There's an additional $1000 bonus for finishing the contract.

Would that fall under the employing requiring the employee to pay cash to guarantee performance?
Riding One

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:

There's a school here in town that pays teachers around $22 per hour, but they keep $2-3 per hour each month to be paid when the teacher finishes the contract. If the teacher doesn't finish their contract they will not received the accumulated money they've earned over the year... usually amounting to $2000. This isn't the contract ending bonus, it's their pay they've earned each month. There's an additional $1000 bonus for finishing the contract.

Would that fall under the employing requiring the employee to pay cash to guarantee performance?

I'd like to know what school this is. Could you PM me?

This school would like teachers to leave so they can pocket the money.

Why would anyone work under such conditions.
deadlift

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't PM him, name and shame that school because that is disgraceful.
spycatcher reincarnated

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are holding back your pay then this sounds illegal. If you are just accumulating a bonus which is payable contingent on you completing your contract then I see no issue with this.

It appears to be all in the wording of the contract.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell the school that the passport belongs to your government and that you are required to report to your embassy (online or in person) if anyone else has it for more than 24 hours.

But first look up your country's policy online and be prepared to follow through. You'll get your passport back.
cb400

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this school was reported in the VN news... I recall a Filipino teacher working under shit conditions and having to fight off advances from the owner.

Anyone remember this? Sounds like the same place.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I lost track of this thread. The school I was referring to is called Fisher's Superkids. I have several friends working there.
cb400

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
Oops, I lost track of this thread. The school I was referring to is called Fisher's Superkids. I have several friends working there.

Not the same place I was referring to. I heard good things about Fishers and almost took a job there. Kind of regret not doing it.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying anything about the school, just saying that's how I've heard the pay is done there. Obviously, it sounds like a system that could be abused, but I've never heard an instance of that happening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: