Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tax Question from non - UK citizen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neverheardofem

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Tax Question from non - UK citizen Reply with quote

I applied for a position in Poland and received a reply from the DOS saying that she was interested in my application, but that, as an Irish citizen, I was not exempt from the no tax law enjoyed by UK citizens for the first 2 years. Therefore, paying 18% tax on a salary of 2500pln, I would be getting considerable less that my counterparts. I'm not sure if this would be a liveable salary (would it? Katowice is the city)

It was nice of her to point this out to me in advance, as I didn't know this. So, I was wondering if there are any Irish or indeed any other nationalities working of Poland at all if this is the case! Is there anyway around this?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

You can't live on that salary even if it's net and your accommodation is provided. You're Irish right? Enjoy a good drink? Smile ...the craic? Forget it on that....it's 500 quid. Could you live on that in Ireland? The prices aren't that different for many, many things. Of course you can find the Polish equivalent of Weatherspoons I spose.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Tax Question from non - UK citizen Reply with quote

neverheardofem wrote:
I applied for a position in Poland and received a reply from the DOS saying that she was interested in my application, but that, as an Irish citizen, I was not exempt from the no tax law enjoyed by UK citizens for the first 2 years. Therefore, paying 18% tax on a salary of 2500pln, I would be getting considerable less that my counterparts. I'm not sure if this would be a liveable salary (would it? Katowice is the city)

It was nice of her to point this out to me in advance, as I didn't know this. So, I was wondering if there are any Irish or indeed any other nationalities working of Poland at all if this is the case! Is there anyway around this?

There's no such law at all! In fact, it's a pretty good sign that the school is dodgy.

I think there was such a law many many years ago, but it no longer exists.
dynow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tax Question from non - UK citizen Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:

There's no such law at all! In fact, it's a pretty good sign that the school is dodgy.

go figure, a dodgy business in Poland.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

There was a law like that when I first worked in Poland in the mid 90's. Another dodge was to pay you through a UK bogus firm, so they paid you an amount just below the minimum taxable threshold and therefore avoided paying tax. IH Bydgoszcz did this through Glenrex. Anyhow..it's a mute point...you can't live on that dosh anyway.
ecocks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As they are telling you, living on 2500 net, even single would be pretty rough.

Get your CV out and about to other schools. Tell this one that unless they are including an apartment w utiltities, this won't cut it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Moot point sorry...brain stopped working....too much sun methinks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: