Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about teaching in Costa Rica.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaDragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Questions about teaching in Costa Rica. Reply with quote

I'm considering going over to Costa Rica to find work as an ESL teacher. Now there are a few things about Costa Rica that appeal to me. Mainly that its a tropical paradise, but also that its one of the safest Central American countries. Finally, the fact that I can speak Spanish means that communication wont be as big of a hassle as in other places. The problem is I don't know where to begin. So, for anyone here who has previously lived and worked in Costa Rica, can you please tell me about the experience?

First what is the best way to find a job? Can I find work here in the States before leaving, or is it better to just drop everything, go to Costa Rica and search for a job there?

Would I need a work visa? What does the process entail?

Also, what cities or towns would you recommend living in?

Remember, any information or advice would be useful.

Thanks.
tuanis mae

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few schools will hire you unless you are here in Costa Rica. It takes a little bit of guts to drop everything and risk it, but the job market here is pretty good (depending on the time of year). You dont need a work visa, most schools will get you to report to the tax man, and after you sign up and pay taxes ( almost nothing) then the government is happy and you can work "legally." It is a very simple process in fact it is the only simple bureaucratic process in Costa Rica. You just have to leave the country every 90 days, to go sit on the beach for a couple of days in Nicaragua or Panama. For cities you will find 90% of the jobs are in the central valley (San Jose, Heredia, Alajuela, Cartago) Not many jobs on the coast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: