Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK - No Go area for teachers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was me.

Not matter how it was worded, the post about the cash looked too much like bragging, and the post about the double was not creative enough to hide the stink of intellectual bragging.

Neither deserved to be read, so I deleted them.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Comrade Parrot! Thanks for coming back to clarify the disappearing post mystery. However, I do not think it was necessary to delete them. There was neither financial nor intellectual bragging. I thought they did deserve to be read, and replied to them. They made a good point or two.

The Party requests that you refrain from this type of action in future.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK is a good place if you are a banker, or a member of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (Now re-named Windsor)
sprightly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't mind being surrounded by kids or teenagers, there are decent jobs in ESL at a lot of international schools. most offer teh possibility of staying in school accommodation; varying degrees of niceness, but easy on the savings. they seem to start at 27K/yr which is well above teh national average. i would recommend working at a traditional school (trust-owned) over one that is run as a business with shareholders. if i'm going to have my soul sucked out of me, i'd rather a better climate.

there's also the PGCE route, allowing you to deliver EAL etc in state schools, but i haven't heard anything great about that so haven't bothered investing in it.

finally further ed, but those departments are being slashed and everyone i've met working is further ed is stressed.
teacher X

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To comment on Comrade Sasha's posts; I have been in Moscow for 2 months and have somehow saved £1400 without even trying. Need I say more? Those extra classes on the side seem to have paid off better than I had expected.
Plus I still get plenty of opportunity to drink myself unconscious and wake up naked on the outskirts of the city.

A colleague of mine has worked hard for the past 2 years and now has enough to buy a house in Spain. Yeah, sure, Spain is pretty cheap, but that's still not money to be laughed at.

But I think I agree with what the Parrot says. Knuckle down for a few years in the Gulf and you'll easily have enough cash to return to England and surround yourself with all the hookers and blow you could possible need.

As for the UK. I love Britain, but I just find myself unable to live there. If I ever stay there for more than a month I get itchy feet and need to run away again.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russia is the perfect TEFL venue, if you want to hit all the spots. Firstly, you can earn really good money - perhaps the highest rates in Europe. Secondly, the students are quite sharp, so you'll need to be up to snuff in the classroom too. Thirdly, you can do almost anything you want to here. There are precious few social restrictions. You are into booze and women? Opera or torrenting flicks? The only limit is your imagination...

True, you will earn more cash in the Gulf region - but at what price to your freedom? How many of the best years of your life are you prepared to exchange? True again that some countries in the Far East may offer more hedonistic opportunities for the sybarites amongst us. But how much can you earn?

Few places on earth will satisfy all one's needs. But Russia comes closest, in my opinion. True, you won't earn the most money possible in the world. Nor will you have the most raucous adventures known to mankind. But, you will be able to reach a compromise and engage in both pursuits simultaneously, to a degree much more satisfying than in most other TEFL hotspots.

Russia - land of compromise : )
drew67

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the UK and have done for 46 years, almost desperate to leave. I love my roots, as any one would, you know, I had a liability order, for the full amount of council tax, just before Christmas. It`s tight as is, but the full amount from April. 1200GBP a year, for the guys who don't know, and that is for one street light, and two rubbish bags a week for the dustmen. I won`t even mention income tax. Had to pay it, it was a crap Xmas.

I work part time for the NHS, money is tight, drive a crap old car, can`t save for rainy day, not had a holiday for years and live in a rented flat. That did it for me, when a government robs you via a tax system squeezing every little they can out of you.

Been looking for a ESL job in Asia or who ever will pay a fair amount teaching . Handed out a few CV`s, and got two job offers. To date now have the work permits for the application of the visa, jumped through all the hoops. Now looking at selling up and making some money abroad. I hate the UK but looking back thinking , will I be doing the right thing.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What qualifications do you have?
drew67

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding teaching, Have a BA in English, a ITTT Tefl, And a Celta, Also Safeguarding children cert, along with Adult social care cert`s. Plus all the Health and safety cert`s that's needed. I teach adults at the moment with learning disabilities in class settings along with out-reach. life skills, therapy, things like craft etc., all running from a resource centre.

My previous job was with local council, in the housing sector, front line community development. Still active in this sector, as a area liaison panel member for a social landlord, albeit on a arms length contract, which is quarterly. This is where my ESL came into effect working with eastern European migrants.

In the last decade been doing this, previously have had a technical background in electronics. My location is very rural in the SW of the UK, and the jobs here in that sector is very limited. Pretty much multi skilled, but I do like the people type of work, pretty suited to it.`
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you've got the blues, for which I sympathise. I would definitely give a spell abroad a go, but I'd take a few months to prepare.

Depends where in Asia, but some places such as Thailand can pay very poorly. A lot of teachers there live desperate lives but think all is OK. Much of this is down to Asian politeness and being the white face. I got bored of that and would rather be judged on my abilities than my colour. Saying that, I pity those who never lived and worked in Asia as it was a brilliant few years for me. I'd look around at other countries too, especially Europe as it’s easy to work and a second language from there is a valuable thing. I also reckon you could do other work there, apart from TEFL.

Believe it or not, I now live in the UK and like it a lot. I find it a lot easier to get things done and do business here than in any other country. My mates and family are close by, and this is why I'm not planning to work in Asia again, even though my wife is Asian.

Ten years ago, though, I would have also said the UK was not for me. Living overseas teaches you that all countries have very good and very bad points.

All I’d say is don’t burn UK bridges. Keep bank accounts, credit cards and your mates, and don’t forget about the UK state pension, which will always be worth paying (the minimum required) in to.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Russia for TEFLrs? Reply with quote

Sasha, I enjoy wearing a coloured dress, tights and a balaclava, and have a penchant for singing protest songs in cathedrals. Is Russia the place for me?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is your thing, you'll LOVE or state-sponsored Re-education Centres. Enrollment is basically free, as is room and board, and courses last anything from 3 to 30 years. You'll have a nice little certificate upon completion, which will make a serious impression on any future employers. There is stiff competition amongst applicants, but we always do our utmost to find one more place for somebody really in need.

So, come to Russia! Find your place!
drew67

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hod for your insight, appreciated. I think I would need to spread my mature wings, its just the way of life here in the UK that is like treading treacle , economics are driving my crazy. Sure I have all the ties, family, banks etc... and would have them for when I get back. Pension wise quite lucky as I opted out of SERPS in my 20`s. That will mature when I get to 55. As I am in my 40`s a good few years away, then decide to either come back to good ole`"blighty" or not.

Looking at the past posts, and where most seek a better life and prosperity, I suppose it`s all about networking people and contacts alike, Mind you Moscow looks nice, but then again, warm climates are much more enticing. As to politics, never been my scene, I just walk the other way, probably into a kayaking adventure. Smile
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Riotous times! Reply with quote

Sign me up, Sasha! Any chance of sharing a room with Nadia Tolokonnikova? Wink
CANDLES

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: ESL UK Reply with quote

I have just come back from the Middle East due to family reasons and cannot get an ESL job. There are plenty of summer jobs, but what about the rest of the year. I have sent off my cv to several employers in London, but no reply.

I managed to get a job at a tutorial college, but I am not a trained Primary, or Secondary school teacher, have no idea about the English curriculum, so feel a little anxious.

Any suggestions please on how to cope and what to do.

Thanks...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: