Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good Schools & Racism in St. Petersburg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RagazzaCaraibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Good Schools & Racism in St. Petersburg Reply with quote

Hello All,

My nickname is Nia and I am an American who is looking to work in Europe, hopefully by this September. I have a B.A. and have previously taught for two years in South Korea. I've always wanted to live & work in Europe. I've been told that it is a much easier process for Americans to legally reside in Eastern Europe, hence my decision to live in Russia.

First and foremost, can someone please tell me what schools, besides the McSchools, that are reputable and will help me to legally reside in Russia. I really would like to find a school with a branch in St. Petersburg, if possible.

Racism is a terrible disease that seems to be everywhere. Although, I live in one of the most ethnically diverse areas in the US (Northern New Jersey), I have experience racism. Sad That being said, I have also never feared for my safety or well-being during those experiences. Will I have to fear for my safety in Russia, as a woman of colour? I'm reaching out to all of you for advise, because you actually live in Russia. I am aware of how the media sensationalize stories, especially those based on race.

I sincerely hope to hear from you all soon and thank you for welcoming me to this forum. Have a great day and an awesome weekend!

Kind Regards,

Nia
Foma87

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, McSchools are your best bet as far as legal employment is concerned.
Getting a work permit for Russia is not any easier for Americans than say Brits, Canadians, Aussies…
I wouldn't be too concerned about safety, being a person of color in SPb, though I'm sure you'll encounter more than a few instances of casual racism. Russia is not the most sensitive of countries in this regard.
RagazzaCaraibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foma87, thanks for the reply. Which one, if any of the McSchools would you recommend? I saw that another member (Eve, I think) is suing BKC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: