Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mental illness and teaching ESL
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeatherG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Mental illness and teaching ESL Reply with quote

Lately, I've become quite discouraged with my chances of being accepted as an ESL teacher due to my history of depression and anxiety. I was told outright both by people here and a recruiter that Korea would not be an option because I would not be allowed to get a work visa. I'm having second thoughts about JET in Japan as well because they also request a health form if you answer "yes" to any sort of condition. I don't want to lie because I will need to remain on the medication while abroad, but I am concerned about the stigma of mental illness or a program that simply does not want to deal with anyone with any sort of health problems. Are there any countries that either do no request health forms or do not care about my history of depression?

I know there are people on these forums who are taking anti-depressants. Are there any countries where it is easier/harder to obtain them? Any that don't allow you to bring them into the country? How do you cope with depressive episodes or anxiety attacks if you've had them while living and working abroad?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Mental illness and teaching ESL Reply with quote

HeatherG wrote:
Lately, I've become quite discouraged with my chances of being accepted as an ESL teacher due to my history of depression and anxiety. I was told outright both by people here and a recruiter that Korea would not be an option because I would not be allowed to get a work visa. I'm having second thoughts about JET in Japan as well because they also request a health form if you answer "yes" to any sort of condition. I don't want to lie because I will need to remain on the medication while abroad, but I am concerned about the stigma of mental illness or a program that simply does not want to deal with anyone with any sort of health problems. Are there any countries that either do no request health forms or do not care about my history of depression?

I know there are people on these forums who are taking anti-depressants. Are there any countries where it is easier/harder to obtain them? Any that don't allow you to bring them into the country? How do you cope with depressive episodes or anxiety attacks if you've had them while living and working abroad?

Outside of western Europe / North America / Australia / NZ your condition IS an issue and will cause problems if discovered by an employer OR an immigration service.

Most countries that don't need you to pass a medical exam are also countries where treatment is hard to come by and your meds may or may not be easily available.

In Asia, currently, Cambodia, Laos, and Myanmar don't need you to pass a medical or drug screen.
You can get around the medical issue by working illegally (on the wrong visa) in China, Thailand, Indonesia, Taiwan, etc, but do be aware that doing so comes with its own costs and risks.

Do people with histories of mental illness teach EFL = yes.

Do they all have proper visas, permits, etc. = no.

Most of them are flying under the radar or were grandfathered in and managed to keep a low profile so they get around the issue.

Governments abroad are no different than your own government when it comes to discrimination when people apply for work visas or to immigrate.
Reciprocity.... you get from other governments what your government gives to their citizens.

Can you do it flying under the radar for a year or two as a GAP year adventure = yes.

Can you make something longer term out of it = unknown but it will always be there ... skeletons in the closet waiting to pop out at some inopportune time

(and treatment abroad may simply be a matter of tossing you into a jail till they figure out who you are, where you come from, and what to do with you (as recently happened in Thailand) then ship you home as a deportee.

santi84

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think very long and hard about teaching abroad with depression and/or anxiety (or any other mental illness). I had postpartum depression and found it extremely difficult and isolating, despite having a spouse here too. I would recommend anyone with depression or other mental illness to at least make sure you secure a position where there is strong support (lots of expats, larger city where help is available in English, not an isolated position).

Good luck! Smile
HeatherG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering now whether it might be best to wait a bit to see if I can get my condition stabilized to where I'm less likely to have any problems.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeatherG wrote:
I'm wondering now whether it might be best to wait a bit to see if I can get my condition stabilized to where I'm less likely to have any problems.

That sounds like the best bet to me.

I recently had a friend come to China with me ... he had just 3 weeks here, and has no mental health problems that Im aware of, but he freaked out here and was impossible to deal with. His anxiety at being in a place where he was unable to communicate with most people, unable to cope with the rigours of daily life and unable to sleep due to jetlag and constant noise led him to pretty much explode on a daily basis. He just couldnt cope with an alien culture and lifestyle at all.

Most FT's dont enter the cushy expat lifestyle that oil workers and bankers do. Most of us, especially at entry-level, live lives similar to local people. Im used to the mosquitos and cockroaches that occasionally appear in my apartment, and Im even used to the dog that barks pretty much all through the night. (It did wake me up between 3 and 4 am this morning though!). Im also used to the haphazard manner in which my job is regarded and the odd ways in which I have to work here. Of course, all these things may be small things ... but life is not always a bed of roses when TEFL'ing, and some people really dont enjoy the experience at all. If your mental health issues are a serious consideration, then you need to be aware that you could be entering a place and culture that may be no respecter of many issues of your life, let alone mental health ones.
Harbin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeatherG wrote:

That sounds like a great idea. Keep in mind that almost everything about living in a foreign country is a trigger for depression and anxiety. You'll be far from friends and family and have absolutely no safety net if things go wrong. You'll be far more isolated than you are at home and even getting a haircut or going to a restaurant will be difficult and anxiety provoking at first.

Everyday for your first few months, you'll experience some degree of culture shock - I'm sure all TEFELers have a story about a time they almost broke down from culture shock. Mine happened at a bank and was caused by experiencing the lack of lines and excess of pushing, shoving, and cutting in line. Since you already have significant anxiety and depression problems, putting yourself in such situations is playing with fire.
contented

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harbin wrote:
I'm sure all TEFELers have a story about a time they almost broke down from culture shock. Mine happened at a bank.

OMG, that happened to a TEFLer friend of mine in China! My culture shock moment was getting sick from dwelling in bad housing conditions.

@ HeatherG - There are teachers on anti-depressants...I've met them. A girl I worked with would squirrel herself away when she was down. Despite efforts of trying to cheer her up, I realized she needed to block out the craziness and then re-emerge a few days later fresh and ready to take on the chaos.

Maybe you can try living and working abroad for short term doing a volunteer project or a summer camp and see if you can handle the rigors of life in another culture. If it's successful, then it can give you the needed confidence to make a larger leap next time, it's just an idea.
coledavis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak about Russia. I have been told that is illegal to employ teachers suffering from mental illness.
likwid_777

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given how cheap China is to live in, especially in the "smaller" cities, why not just try and save some money and go and live for a while? I know saving money isn't easy, but considering most ESL teachers can live well on approx USD 1k per month, if you could save up a few grand, you could live there for a time. That is, live there without the stress of working and the added stress of working for a (potentially) dodgy Chinese boss. I think, in most cases, you need to rent a place for 6 months minimum. Paid in advance. You could probably get a functional place for about $200 USD per month.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ariadne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so sure it's a good idea to leap into life in China on your own. A school would likely supply housing. A school would have some English speakers.

A vacation, staying at hotels or hostels... OK.
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked with several teachers on anti-depressents in Mexico. However, I would consider your comprehensive care options. How often are you seeing a medical professional? Some medications need to be adjusted as time goes on and one or too of those teachers I worked with slowing came unhinged as time went by. I know if the trials of living in Latin America got to them, or if their medication dosis needed correction or if the mexican version of their prescription just didn't work as well. Whatever it was it turned out to be an unfortunate situation not just for that individual teacher, but it affected many people they knew as well.

As someone mentioned about, almost every teacher has been driven to the edge of a break down at least once while abroad. Banks seem to be particularly difficult...
scepticalbee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with some mental illnesses like depression for example is that it always gets worse when you're alone and jobless... Keeping yourself occupied will make you put your illness aside and that will probably reduce its effect on your every day life as well. If you start a job or a job interview by saying: "Hi folks, I'm _ _ _ _, I'm mentally sick and I'm on medication. I wish we'll do a great work together, though", I think it's the best way to discourage you and your future co-workers before even starting to work together! Positivity is the key...
scepticalbee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with some mental illnesses like depression for example is that it always gets worse when you're alone and jobless... Keeping yourself occupied will make you put your illness aside and that will probably reduce its effect on your every day life as well.
scepticalbee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you start a job interview or a job by saying: "Hi folks, I'm _ _ _ _, I'm mentally sick and I'm on medication. I wish we'll do a great work together, though", I think it's the best way to discourage you and your future co-workers before even starting to work together! Positivity is the key...
scepticalbee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People generally don't know that, but there is a recovery from mental illnesses, especially depression. Maybe someday you won't even need your medication at all if you find the greatest place ever to work in, who knows! So, I'd advice you to hide your depression history because you'd be automatically labeled by people who won't even try to know you (hiding is not lying...).

Last edited by scepticalbee on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: