Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Couples teaching in China
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stonethecrow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Couples teaching in China Reply with quote

Hi,

Are there any couples teaching in China that could give me some advice?
First, some background info. I am British, with a CELTA and degree but no experience teaching. My girlfriend has a Masters in English and a degree in French, as well as years of teaching experience. However, she doesn't have a CELTA and isn't a native speaker. So if we were to merge into one being we would be sorted, at least in terms of employment...

I am applying for jobs for September for myself but would really like to find a school that would employ us both. I have an unfounded expectation (maybe a hope) that she could then get some work if I got a job with a flat somewhere.

Is this a reasonable expectation in China or am I going to find it difficult? Does anyone know of a school who is particularly keen on couples? Is there maybe another country in which is easier to find work for a couple such as ourselves?

Thanks
Mr. Leafy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boss balked at the idea of providing shared staff housing to an unmarried couple who both applied to us. One of them turned out to be unemployable for an unrelated reason, but I think he would have rejected the idea anyway.
Kysorb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is she also British? If you are both coming on the right passport you will find work regardless of native speaker.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a married couple here (Hubei), he's from Colombia, she's Canadian. They're both English teachers. It's possible.
Toast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kysorb wrote:
Is she also British? If you are both coming on the right passport you will find work regardless of native speaker.

This.....what passport does your GF have?
snowwhite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've never had any problem getting jobs, the schools we've worked in have been happy to have a couple. Laughing
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Foreign Language U might be a possibility as her French would have as much applicability as your English.
There's a FLU in Dalian and others too.
GreatApe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ stonethecrow ...

If you're at all interested in teaching for an International school, drop me a PM and let me know, especially if you're interested in working in Guangdong province. The I.S. where I work still has two teaching positions open and we need native English speakers. We run an IGCSE based curriculum and a British couple would fit right in here.

--GA
Toast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
A Foreign Language U might be a possibility as her French would have as much applicability as your English.

....assuming she comes from a native speaking French country. Still don't know her passport. For all we know she's from Bangladesh, in which case it would be extremely difficult for her to get a Z visa to teach either language.
Harbin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of non-natives teaching English in my city, but they came on other visas and work on the side. Most of them are Russians who came here to study Chinese, but my city also has many non-native housewives who teach English part time to kill time.
stonethecrow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your replies.

My girlfriend is Polish. Not much demand for Polish in China I would guess... or anywhere for that matter! Does the Polish passport complicate things?
She is however quite keen to try teaching French. In fact, she wants to complete a Masters in French also.

GreatApe, PM sent Smile
choudoufu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

study polish in harbin?

http://www.warsawvoice.pl/WVpage/pages/article.php/21997/article
juanjose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Try Huai an University Reply with quote

Try Huai an Univeristy is Jiangsu. They have both a French and an English program at their campus. I once knew a French man who taught there.
Also Southeast University in Nanjing has these programs. Good luck.
My old middle school in Jiangsu is also looking for a couple to come and teach middle school students. P.M. if you need more information.
Toast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Try Huai an University Reply with quote

juanjose wrote:
Try Huai an Univeristy is Jiangsu. They have both a French and an English program at their campus. I once knew a French man who taught there.
Also Southeast University in Nanjing has these programs. Good luck.
My old middle school in Jiangsu is also looking for a couple to come and teach middle school students. P.M. if you need more information.

Jiangsu is getting a lot stricter, however.

The Russian woman (with granted near impeccable English) at my school was able to have the school sponsor her visa / FEC in the past as they were able to somehow prove her level of English was high enough to classify her as an expert, however this time were supposedly refused as, according to them Jiangsu now only allows native speakers to be granted this illustrious title.

Other more out of the way provinces will still take who they can get, be they Filippinos, Guatemalans or Sierra Leoneans.

As someone else mentioned a good back door into the country would be to apply for a student (x) visa be that through studying Chinese, or possibly she may be allowed to sign on for that French Masters program. Shouldn't be too hard for her to get some part time work on the side (I know Israelis, a Botswanan and even a Thai teaching English in my town this way). If she can get a couple of hours work a day she'll make more than the average uni salary anyway....depends on the school, but most won't care if she stays with you.
juanjose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Other Nationalities working as teachers Reply with quote

That is what is so frustrating about China- it's all run like a medieval monarchy where every dukedom "interprets" the law in the way they see fit.
I am not from the Big Five, but I work as an English teacher in Jiangsu.
Albeit, I work in a small town in Jiangsu. I know for sure that places like Suzhou and Nanjing are now enforcing this law. But I guess not yet in the smaller towns where some teachers do not want to go. One former teacher at my school made a secret retreat back home after only being here two months.
Then again my degree and TEFL are from universities in the United States. I am sure the powers that be don't know what to do with me.
So to add to my message, try the smaller towns in Jiangsu for a job.

I will p.m. you some information about one small town school in Jiangsu.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: