Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KFU - Shabaka
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExpatinTown

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: You'd be Surprised Reply with quote

You'd be surprised to know that some people planning to go to Saudi have no idea that drinking wine is illegal. It is one thing to not be sold but another for it to be illegal to drink. I have teachers asking me about what I know about Saudi because they plan to go and when I tell them, they are surprised. Teachers should always do their research before going but some can't imagine a place where that is illegal entirely.

I see you are all getting hostile with one another. No reason to call someone a cry baby when they are speaking the truth. It is a bit unprofessional that the program can't seem to get tests right. For the final one quarter, the took the tests away and had to reprint it. The problem was fixed by the teachers as a team and then management decided to just take the tests back and make the students start on another section. It really annoyed the students and once again, gave the students a reason to get angry at the teachers. However, at least on our end, most teachers told them who made that decision. They were not happy. They are in a business of pleasing the client but don't realize that they annoy the client when they do stuff like this to the students. If you had to deal with the students when stuff like this happen, you would understand the teacher's frustration.

Most of the people that left all agreed that they had no issues with Saudi itself but with the Western team of management.

In terms of changing bus times, when you have to wake up and catch the bus that early, it is a big deal. If you miss it, it is nearly impossible to get a taxi to school at that time especially if you are a woman. That's all I have to say about that.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinn.n.juice wrote:
[i]Too bad you don't show that kind of dedication while in the classroom.

How would you know? Go away Troll.
rollingk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most of the people that left all agreed that they had no issues with Saudi itself but with the Western team of management.

More often than not, management teams are selected in Saudi with no discernibly relevant criteria for their job. Acquiescence and capitulation are not only necessary traits for them but they often unashamedly vie with each other to demonstrate that these are their alpha skills; bog plants grow in bogs.

Not to say there are no good managers in KSA, but these are understandably low key arbiters of small things who have somehow slipped under the radar. Who could ask for anything more in this environment? Please let's not separate these horrible managers entirely from their environment.
Jinn.n.juice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollingk wrote:

More often than not, management teams are selected in Saudi with no discernibly relevant criteria for their job. Acquiescence and capitulation are not only necessary traits for them but they often unashamedly vie with each other to demonstrate that these are their alpha skills; bog plants grow in bogs.

Not particularly insightful.

If you could just go ahead and explain to me how the traits you mentioned are any different from the traits held by anyone in middle management, in any field, anywhere else in the world? That'd be great. MmmKay?
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big difference is in the magic kingdom the upper and middle management believe a contract is an evolving document and meaningless. This is epidemic in the kingdom but not in most Western nations. I am Muslim, so I even see a difference in how most non-Muslims are treated as well, as compared to Western Muslim expats. This goes to the "pecking" order the Saudis use when dealing with expats: Muslims, American and British expats, and Asians at the bottom all because its what those in power endorse and utilize.
rollingk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think all middle managers are grovelers or ingratiators. Were this the case a considerable number of productive institutions and companies throughout the world would be significantly less so. In the kingdom, practically nothing depends on productivity of any sort. Consequently, often everyone and everything is disposable or negotiable (as rdobbs has mentioned in the case of contracts).

This wacked out dynamic is as different to most places as this forum is to real life, where practically everyone at least pretends civility.
hocus pocus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Changing schedules Reply with quote

Back to my post a while back about constantly changing schedules at Shabaka.

Yes, things DO change in Saudi at a regular and frustrating pace. And, I do expect and accept those changes from Saudi management.

However, changes made by Western admin at the school occur minute-by-minute. Also, this is not a rare occurrence, but something that happens with mind-boggling regularity.

The main problem is unqualified people who are looking to "keep busy" to justify their jobs. And, then they want to be praised for how hard they work. Of course they work hard - "working smart" is not an option for them.
feverpitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owners don't care what goes on at Shabaka, nor does Team Hoyt. Turnover of teachers will always be high because management doesn't listen or care.

Do your research and pick another school.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should any of us care what goes on at Shabaka ? Go work for a legit outfit and leave those cowboys !
YouGotFlawned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is one major benefit of working for Shabaka, and is likely the sole reason many consider coming back: Vacation time!

Despite all the other negative aspects of the place, few recruiters offer nearly as much paid time off as does Shabaka. Week-long holidays every six weeks really do make all the difference in choosing whether or not to stay onboard for another year.

Of course, that is assuming one is even invited back in the first place Rolling Eyes
hocus pocus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: not true for the coming year Reply with quote

YouGotFlawned wrote:

Despite all the other negative aspects of the place, few recruiters offer nearly as much paid time off as does Shabaka. Week-long holidays every six weeks really do make all the difference in choosing whether or not to stay onboard for another year. Rolling Eyes

Next year will be different. Because the program has declined so drastically and the quality of teaching is so poor, there will be NO breaks between quarters. This time will be spent doing teacher training and preparing lesson plans for the different modules. Also, the University is requiring that teachers be "desk warming" during the quarter breaks.

The only breaks that Shabaka teachers will enjoy are those specifically mentioned in the contract. (National/school holidays, etc.) Breaks between quarters are not mandated holidays for Shabaka teachers.
edd_moseley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Desk warming Reply with quote

Hocus Pocus,

This is simply not true, we will be having the breaks. Is this yet more imaginary tales of woe at shabaka from yourself?

Don't worry I'm sure teachers who HAVE been invited back next year will keep you posted on all the happenings.
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody frackin lock this thread!!!
Jinn.n.juice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hocus Pocus has some major issues. Be gone, woman! I can't wait to read Hocus Pocus' post from her next position. I'm sure your next job, bosses, and co-workers will be just as rotten as Shabaka. Everything is truly terrible...

Folks, No doubt there are some problems at Shabaka and in Saudi, but if you listen to Hocus Pocus and the other cry-babies who got fired because they are 1) crappy teachers or 2) intolerable people, you could miss a good opportunity to teach at a very livable place, of course, for Saudi.

Hocus Pocus, do you travel with a cross or do you buy a new one for each new job?
hocus pocus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: reality Reply with quote

I won't respond with insults towards any poster - they are entitled to their opinions, whether it be based on facts, wishful thinking or medication.

In fact, I have been invited back. But I haven't decided where my next locale will be.

I do challenge anyone here to look at any of my posts and show that ANYTHING I've written is not absolutely true.

People can PM me if they want more details.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: