Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa from Chinese Embassy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Visa from Chinese Embassy Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

After a few months negotiation, I let the employer know I will be in the Philippines on July 6, 2013 visiting a friend.

I let them know I will get the Visa from the Chinese Embassy in the Philippines.

I received this reply:

"Unfortunately, the Chinese policy in 2013 only issues a working permit and invitation for you to apply for working visa in USA.

You will get an invitation with information "please apply for working visa in any Chinese Embassy or consulate in U.S.A." That is to say, you have to wait and get a working visa in your country."

Can I not do this in the Philippines? What if one is in China visiting and finds a position to teach, you mean they have to fly back home to get a Visa at the Embassy then fly back to China?

What logic is at work here...

Thank you.
Toast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What province is the job in?
dfra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: @Toast Chinese Visa Reply with quote

Hi Toast,

Thanks for the quick reply.

It is in Wuhan (Hubei?) province.

Just received this:
"You are right.

Chinese new policy will start on July 1st, you have to apply for working visa in USA because you are American.

Please tell Chinese Embassy officer that you will get an invitation with information " please apply for working visa in any Chinese Embassy or consulate in U.S.A." This the point."

Best to you.

Any idea how I can accomplish this without delaying my "vacation" plan or coming back to the USA, or getting it done in some fashion?
kungfuman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact the embassy in the Philippines and ask them directly.
dean_a_jones

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wuhan/Hubei, up to now, has generally been pretty open in terms of getting visas for people who are non-native speakers, applying away from home etc. But no idea if the new regulation means this is not as true as it once was. It may also depend on what kind of pull your school has with the local PSB.

Is there any chance they can rush your paperwork over in the USA and you can apply before you fly out on holiday? I think you have a fair bit of time allowed between your visa being issued and when you need to enter by, so if you apply before you leave, that should be OK, but they would have to be able to send the right paperwork over pretty much ASAP.

Otherwise, you might ask if you can apply in Hong Kong instead, then fly into HK after your holiday and then either fly to or take the train to Wuhan from there. Up to now, paperwork listing HK has always worked for Hubei based people (that I have heard). Again, perhaps this is changing after July 1 though.
dfra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Chinese Visa Reply with quote

@kungFuMan and @dean_a_jones, thanks guys, some helpful tips I will look into.

Have a great day!
wgmarker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this. I went to the Philippines. I fedexed my docs to a passport service (I used http://www.wpvs.com, they were fast and efficient). It was a total of about 9 days from start to finish.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind also relations between the Philippines and China may have an effect on what they will or will not do at the Chinese Embassy in Manila.

I recently got visas for Vietnam in Shanghai for me and the Chinese girlfriend. My visa is in my passport - hers in on a piece of paper not attached to her passport. Some island dispute thing where Vietnam doesn't recognize the new Chinese E series passport. The girl told me I should glue the visa in her passport when I get home
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: