Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

weihai

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daikaiju

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: weihai Reply with quote

I should be moving here in September. It seems like a nice place from what I've seen online, though lacking information compared to other areas in China. I've got a few questions about the area if anyone can answer for me:

I was wondering if there are any decent bars for expats to meet up?

What are the gyms like? Will it be possible to find a gym with a squat rack and dumbells that go up to 40kg?

One final general question. Are there any cable packages that I would need to get to watch premiership football regularly?
snelmes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Weihai Reply with quote

Do you know where you will be based/working /living in Weihai?If I have some idea of your location I might be able to give you some help re. enquiries.
daikaiju

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be based around wenhua xilu.
snelmes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you will be working at Shandong Uni.; close to International Beach.Great location in summer.Winter here is quite severe so be prepared for -20 with the wind chill.I spend most time in the New Port area where Jusco supermarket is located, and there is a reasonably equipped gym there but inconveniently located for you.There is a smallexpat. scene here and I see quite a few at Jusco.Yantai-60klm away has a good Irish pub and is very lively-a good mix of locals and expats.Unfortunately, Weihai has nothing to match socially.The air quality is very good though and it does have some wonderful coastline.You should be able to get some kind of satellite package for premier league-I live on campus in the boonies so I never considered it.I am moving but good luck and let me know if I can be of help.
daikaiju

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!

I lived in Korea before so am prepared for winter there! Though definitely one thing I'm not looking forward to.

How much would the gym set you back a month? I'm hoping there maybe something on campus to use, though I don't have high expectations if they do.

How long would it take to reach Jusco from my campus?
snelmes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jusco would be about 20 minutes by taxi depending on traffic.Gym packages vary a great deal. I was quoted 900Y for a 100 visit package at a gym on Xilu Dadoa in Newport there, and they generally compare favourably with membership packages in western countries.
daikaiju

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty good, I pay that for around 2 months in the UK. I should arrive a week before I start teaching so that should give me enough time to have a good look around where I am.
BlueBlood

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkj, How did you get your uni job in advance?

So far, I've online found jobs teaching kids and/or language mill jobs listed online.

Thanks and an update on your life in Weihai would be interesting to read!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: