Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How difficult is it to find a job in DF?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharkpunch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: How difficult is it to find a job in DF? Reply with quote

My plan is to arrive in August and to just hit the pavement with my CVs. How easy will it be to find a teaching job?
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know.

What attributes do you have?
a degree?
a CELTA or similar?
a teaching license?
experience?
a visa?
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, keep in mind that if you arrive on a tourist visa, most likely you won't be able to apply for a residence-working visa in Mexico City, but you'll have to return to your home country to apply for one.
sharkpunch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a four year degree and 3 years of experience. Thanks
donato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experiences it seems super easy to get a decent business teaching job ($150 more or less) even without a work visa. Personally I have one, but with the new laws I have witnessed companies who used to require them now flat-out not requiring them anymore. With your experience I would say you'd have no problem. Even without it I've seen people with no experience or visa get decent jobs. Colegios and the like may be more difficult (probably much more I'd think) if you're interested in going down that (stressful but potentially profitable) road.
donato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: double post

Last edited by donato on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle to late August is a good time...any holes in the roster need immediate filling at that time, at colegios. I'm seeing a mad scramble right now as schools poach each other's staff.

However, as mentioned, you'll need to fly home to do the paperwork for a visa. That will be a wait of anywhere from 30-60 days.

And as mentioned, business English classes abound...August is a good time to arrive for that, and working on the tourist visa is really common.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

And as mentioned, business English classes abound...August is a good time to arrive for that, and working on the tourist visa is really common.

And illegal. Not recommended if you plan to stay for any length of time.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:

And illegal. Not recommended if you plan to stay for any length of time.

Very true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

While this is true, it needs to be said that this is illegal. If you are not paid you will have no recourse, and if you get caught you can be deported. If you are OK with breaking the laws in a country where you are a guest, go right on ahead.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:

While this is true, it needs to be said that this is illegal. If you are not paid you will have no recourse, and if you get caught you can be deported. If you are OK with breaking the laws in a country where you are a guest, go right on ahead.

Of course...so it's clear, I'm not condoning it...just acknowledging how common it is.

I've been watching to see how the smaller business English outfits would handle the changes to the immigration laws, doubting very much that they would ever sponsor a teacher. One of the larger organizations teaching in this area this year took on an odd strategy - they outsourced all of their payroll management and reduced contact with their foreign teachers to mere email. Their idea was to build a kind of firewall between themselves and the teachers in case any problems arise. It looks very strange from the outside and certainly can't work for the long term as it doesn't actually address the work visa issue. I'm wondering how other mid-sized schools are dealing with it, or chains like Harmon Hall and Quick Learning.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

One of the larger organizations teaching in this area this year took on an odd strategy - they outsourced all of their payroll management and reduced contact with their foreign teachers to mere email. Their idea was to build a kind of firewall between themselves and the teachers in case any problems arise. It looks very strange from the outside and certainly can't work for the long term as it doesn't actually address the work visa issue. I'm wondering how other mid-sized schools are dealing with it, or chains like Harmon Hall and Quick Learning.

Yeah, I think it is going to be a huge problem at some point. Not sure why the change was made to not allow people to enter on a tourist visa and convert in country. Or maybe foreign workers was such a small part of the population that it wasn´t considered to be a big problem. These laws, while appearing to make it easier for some people, make it much harder for many others, as well as many businesses. I am sure the smaller business institutes are not going to sponsor visas for myriads of teachers, so perhaps those who are legal to work can demand higher wages. It´s a mess, that´s for sure and I think it is going to drive up wages because there just aren´t going to be enough legal teachers to go around.
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From where I'm sitting, I don't think English teachers or the Foreign Language teaching industry was a consideration at all in the immigration reform. Of course it's important to us, but we are not important to them. The reform seems to be Mexico's response to being called out on demanding US immigration reform while maintaining a very bad record on treatment of illegals (mostly Central Americans) in Mexico. The reform puts a priority on allowing families to stay together, which is why I said in the other thread it makes English teachers who are married to Mexicans suddenly more attractive even if they happen to be less qualified than other applicants.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donato wrote:
In my experiences it seems super easy to get a decent business teaching job ($150 more or less) even without a work visa. Personally I have one, but with the new laws I have witnessed companies who used to require them now flat-out not requiring them anymore. With your experience I would say you'd have no problem. Even without it I've seen people with no experience or visa get decent jobs. Colegios and the like may be more difficult (probably much more I'd think) if you're interested in going down that (stressful but potentially profitable) road.

$150 pesos per HOUR of teaching biz classes.

SAME pay as almost TEN years ago!!!

And now the peso is weaker, so it's even worse.

And don't forget your COMMUTE time which is wasted and of course, unpaid, canceled classes are unpaid, unpaid holidays, yep, it's a great gig!

I vote for colegios as being the hands-down winner in terms of having an actual salary, benefits, paid vacation etc.

Never saw a language school that could match a good colegio in Mexico when you consider that the colegio jobs are usually M-F 7am-4pm and you have weekends free. If you want a "normal" life in Mexico, that's the best option.

I mean if you want a social life in the evenings or on weekends. It's kinda hard to socialize when you have to teach late in a language school. A colegio will be the most stable of the easily available job options as well.
donato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
donato wrote:

$150 pesos per HOUR of teaching biz classes.

SAME pay as almost TEN years ago!!!

And now the peso is weaker, so it's even worse.

And don't forget your COMMUTE time which is wasted and of course, unpaid, canceled classes are unpaid, unpaid holidays, yep, it's a great gig!

I vote for colegios as being the hands-down winner in terms of having an actual salary, benefits, paid vacation etc.

Never saw a language school that could match a good colegio in Mexico when you consider that the colegio jobs are usually M-F 7am-4pm and you have weekends free. If you want a "normal" life in Mexico, that's the best option.

I mean if you want a social life in the evenings or on weekends. It's kinda hard to socialize when you have to teach late in a language school. A colegio will be the most stable of the easily available job options as well.

I never said it was good pay! You can supplement that with privates and some places will pay a little more. But no argument from here. If money is your goal then Colegios is definitely the way to go if you have the stomach for that kind of work (of course if money is your goal you probably shouldn't be in Mexico in the first place).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: