Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why does everyone say Kuwait sucks?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait
View previous topic :: View next topic  
middeastgirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
300 KD a month...must be a cruddy apartment.

Doha's so much better.

10 years there? What a waste of life.

And thanks VS, my response was completely valid.

You spent 9 months there and you're an authority on the country? (Didn't even fulfill your contract, huh?)
The apartment is quite nice, and in a very quiet, friendly area.
10 years wasted? You don't have a clue as to what I do, or why I'm there, so how would you have a clue as to whether my time is "wasted"?
Doha probably is a nicer, place, as are many places. I can guarantee you I make more $$ than most places in the region.
Just because VS agrees with you, does not "validate" your response. VS, waits for any and every post about Kuwait (a place she hasn't lived in in many, many years) just to denigrate it. Hardly think that qualifies as a validation.

To the OP, in answer to your question, "Why does everyone say Kuwait Sucks?", the answer, in my opinion, it doesn't. Is it for everyone? Certainly not. It depends on the type of person you are. If you're flexible, easygoing, and self-sufficient, it's great. If not, you won't like it. Kuwait is boring, but comfortable, and a great place to make/save money. If your main goal is to experience Arab culture, and see beautiful sights, obviously Kuwait is not the place for you. But if you want to make/save money, have an easy, comfortable life, with loads of vacation time, Kuwait is great. And the derogatory comment one poster made about Kuwaitis says more about the poster than it does Kuwaitis. People are people. You'll meet some wonderful, friendly, kind, Kuwaitis, and you'll meet some that are quite the opposite. Like I said, I've spent 10 years there, I certainly wouldn't spend 1 year there, raising a family, let alone 10, if Kuwaitis/Kuwait was so terrible. Good luck.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't "agree" with him. I merely pointed out that the mention of Spain was completely justified because the original poster brought it up first... and as the OP, it is his thread.

Lots of people - including other Arabs, BTW - dislike the Kuwaitis... for the same reason that they dislike Saudis. While I met a few that matched the negative stereotype, my students were invariably wonderful and hard-working - a point that I have also mentioned often but which you also apparently missed.

Quote:
VS, waits for any and every post about Kuwait (a place she hasn't lived in in many, many years) just to denigrate it. Hardly think that qualifies as a validation.

You really should do something about your gross generalizations - which are in this case sadly inaccurate. If you go through all the threads on this page, you will find that I have posted on only one or two... maybe three. And this is the only one where I gave my negative experience of the country because that is what the OP asked.

BTW...basically I agree with 90+% of your last paragraph. Why could you not just share information without nitpicking and attacking every other poster on this thread who disagrees based on their experience?

VS
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I work for an oil company on rotation....I went to Kuwait to kill time during my war evacuation....then returned to my 'good' job as soon as we were recalled.
DLIguy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuwait is one of those countries that inspire folk to get up and RUN!Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: