Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re: Georgia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Georgia Reply with quote

What would be the costs (rent, utilities, Internet and cable) on a 60-70m2 apartment in Tbilisi?

How is the market for privates?

Food prices and quality?

General livability?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mzuri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a year in Georgia, based in Rustavi.

Can't give you exact costs, but Tbilisi can be surprisingly expensive, not just for rent, but also for entertainment. Furthermore, to find something affordable (if things are tight for you), you can end up in an area of the city that is very inconvenient for city-center access, and for which the marshrutkas might stop running as early as 10:00 p.m.

Don't rule out the possibility of getting a place in Rustavi - I found that it was often faster for me to get to Tbilisi city center from there than my colleagues who lived in Tbilisi. Also, I could catch a marshrutka as late as midnight back home. Many people commute to Tbilisi from Rustavi.

You can get privates, certainly - whether enough to be self-sufficient, unsure. Lots of competition. If you can capture a niche, such as doctors or students preparing for IELTS, you might do OK.

Hope this is helpful.
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your comments but saying it is "expensive" doesn't give me any real measure. I've lived in Azerbaijan, Ukraine and Poland paying anywhere from $600 to $1800 in rent and utilities so there's no way for me to apply that to a planning number.

Is there a website that shows typical apartments for short and long-term rentals?

High-speed internet is essential. In most places privates are a function of which area you live in the city.

How is the life there?

How was it on eating reasonably decently?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mzuri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are websites that can show you rentals. Several will come up for you with a brief google search. If you can afford a range up to $1800 per month, then you'll have no difficulties.

Eating: Based on the above, I'll assume you mean quality of food rather than cost of same. Georgia is known for its fresh fruits and vegetables. They are delicious. If you're a locavore, Georgia is the place to be. Georgians swoon over barbecued pork. I've never been anywhere that knew so well how to make chicken livers so delectable. The bread is only so-so. The wine - good. As is its traditional grape-based vodka.

High speed internet is available, but there are power outages. Their frequency will depend on the neighborhood you're in. This is true for water also.

I loved Georgia - having no idea of your interests, however, difficult to describe attractions.

Tbilisi might be your best fit, but take a glimplse at Batumi or Kutaisi, as well.

Tbilisi at night is like being in Paris.

[/url]
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips.

While I paid $1800 a month in Kyiv that was because I was making about $35,000 a year and was renting a room out as well. In Baku 600 Euros got 65 m2 and a 3 room place within 200 meters of the sea. I doubt these situations will be relevant in assessing Tbilisi's market.

Sites for apartments that I find with Google all emphasize short-term rentals but I was hoping to learn a bit about the going rate for teacher income level accommodations. Since I have no clue about the merits of the various districts there I'm forced to look at center and guesstimate.

I guess I have to go there and look around. The RT ticket is cheap so I'll look into it maybe for a long weekend in March. Novruz is coming up so I might be able to rendezvous with friends.
BocaNY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Tbilisi. Apartments have gotten more expensive since I lived there. But you can find a 2 bedroom for about $500. I have seen places listed at $800-$1200 but that in my opinion is ridiculous. Usually people get roommates to help cover costs. Light and heating if I remember was about 20 lari or so a month. Unlimited high speed Internet was 50 lari a month. Had tv for a month then disconnected it since everything was in Georgian expect for one news channel. You can just download shows.

As for work there are a lot of people who have gone back to Georgia and teach privates. The going rate is 20 lari an hour. Now you have to contend with students not showing up, canceling at the last minute, or not paying. Language schools seem to be paying 600 lari or more a month (I think). Local teachers only make 250 a month as do most Georgians.

Food is good and cheap. Though be prepared for it to be drenched in oil. You can get good food for 5 lari,(meal with a beer or two). you can get it for less or more too depending where you go.

Tbilisi is great and so are the people in Georgia. Tbilisi is expensive compared to the rest of the country. Foreigners do get charged more for apts then locals so it's good to have a Georgian help you find a place. getting a roommate definitely helps with cost since your biggest bill will be the rent. Other then rent everything is cheap..cheaper then Poland. Hope this helps.

PS on a side note I see you are located in a city in Poland that I am interested in. Can you give any info about jobs there? PM if you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: