Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good schools to apply to teach at in Taiwan?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
young_whippersnapper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Good schools to apply to teach at in Taiwan? Reply with quote

I'm a soon-to-be recent college graduate (A.A., B.S.) and soon-to-be TEFL certification holder who is looking for jobs overseas. As I have some passing knowledge of Chinese language, I am considering teaching jobs in Taiwan, possibly in Taipei or Tainan. I would be looking at teaching at either the higher secondary/high school level or vocational/technical/adult education schools.

What are some decent schools that regularly hire EFL instructors in Taiwan? Additionally, what are some things a person should know about Taiwan before applying for jobs there?
Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply... Reply with quote

OK, young_whippersnapper:

There's not much demand for classes taught by native English speakers in the areas that you mentioned.

Classes like those would have an average of 45 student--and you'd be lucky if 3 of them were paying attention to you.

It wouldn't matter if Justin Beiber, Pink and Tom Cruise all showed up to help teach the lesson--you'd get apathy from 80% of the bunch.

Of course, I'm exaggerating a little. But there is just no system for teaching at that level--simply because there is no demand to speak of.

You'd have students of wildly varying levels of competency, anyway.

Thus, most teachers teach children in the afternoons and evenings. Classes average about 10-12 student, I'd say. You always have air conditioners, too! (That hasn't always been true at public schools, colleges, etc.)

Well, I'll stop here. Best wishes!!!

Taylor
romanworld

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good schools in Taiwan = oxymoron.
braindead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you guys mind sharing your experiences? where did you teach? what kind of school? for how long? i've been doing research as well on what schools are out there (that are, at least, decent and tolerable). i've heard all the HESS stories.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: