Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

As a new teacher looking for a job in Taiwan...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LemmiWinks

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: As a new teacher looking for a job in Taiwan... Reply with quote

I'm brand new to teaching, and I am beginning to look for an ESL position in Taiwan (BA/Tefl Certified).

I've been going over job boards, and it seems that all of the job posts are from recruitment agencies or organizations who, upon further research, are very poorly reviewed. So, I'm left wondering if there isn't a better way to secure a job...

For people who have taught in Taiwan and had a good working experience, how did you find your job? Do you have any tips or recommendations on how to find a good position?

I'd appreciate any help here. Thanks for reading.
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have come across the same thing and would be interested in the responses. I imagine that applying to individual schools would probably be advantageous.

I'm always skeptical of recruiters/ contracting companies, but I'm sure some are better than others. It could be a good way of getting in the door, as long as you know what you're getting into.
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest coming to Taiwan in late July/early August. Without teaching experience Taipei City might be tough. Parts of New Taipei City should be possible. Taoyuan or Hsinchu would likely be easier though. Once you get there hit the streets with a stack of resumes and drop one off at every cram school you see. I would also recommend applying to ads on Tealit after you arrive. Most schools won't even consider you if you aren't in Taiwan.

For the record I have never hit the streets with a stack of resumes or looked for work in Taoyuan or Hsinchu. I've just heard that those are the two best areas to find work right now and that hitting the streets with a stack of resumes is the easiest way to find those jobs.

Good luck!
mw182006

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything else beyond a copy of your resume, degree and TEFL cert that you'd recommend bringing Ferfichkin?
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's all you need. Just make sure the degree is the original.
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Is cram school basically the only option in Taiwan? I've heard that university work is basically impossible to get. What about teaching adults?

I've got a CELTA, degree in English Lit, basically no experience.
KaiFeng

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also suggest bringing a copy of your college transcript, especially if you have more than just a bachelor's; I did this (had a master's) and it gave a real advantage. Same thing with copies of certificates.

Also, the cram school market tends to start surging after school gets out, very early in the summer. Build in lead time for getting settled and looking for work.
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a university position you will need a master's minimum. The adult market is very small in Taiwan. There are some adult conversation and test prep schools, but not that many and the test prep schools will require experience. The job you are most likely to get as a first time teacher in Taiwan is at a cram school teaching children.
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's unfortunate that a lot of the schools want you to be there in person. That makes the startup costs a bit higher - maybe it's worth using a recruitment place like HESS to get started?
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a question of supply and demand. There are enough qualified people in Taiwan that school owners don't need to hire from overseas.

I worked at HESS my first year in Taiwan and had a positive experience. I learned a lot and made some great friends. I know not everyone has a good experience with HESS, but it worked for me my first year. I think you could do a lot worse.

In my opinion, for new people coming to Taiwan for the first time, start-up money is key. If you don't have enough money saved to sustain yourself for a few months and a possible visa run, I would seriously think twice about coming to Taiwan. I think if you're a nice guy with a positive attitude, whose willing to move to where the work is, you should be able to find a job without too many problems. The issue is how long it will take. You could get offered a job in the first week, but what if it takes a month or more? You need to have enough money saved that you can afford to wait it out until you find the job you want.
sokunen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferfichkin wrote:
No, that's all you need. Just make sure the degree is the original.

Do you (or anyone else with insight) mind sharing some information about this? I'm working in Viet Nam right now, and I'm leaving here in a month when my visa expires. My partner and I want to go to Taiwan, and now we're realizing we need the actual degree copies. I'm agitated at myself for not thinking about bringing my degree when I came to Asia, but the original copy was not necessary here. Transcripts were sufficient.

I can order a duplicate degree for $25 from my university, but it will say "duplicate" on it, though it will be obviously an authentic one printed from my uni. Do you think this would be acceptable? If I can even get it mailed over here, that is..

Also, I'm scheduled to graduate in August for my Master's, and I won't even HAVE a copy of that because it'll be forever before the thing gets printed and shipped. Do you think places will accept it, as long as I have the Bachelor's provided?
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you just get your family or friends to mail the original to you?

Quote:
Also, I'm scheduled to graduate in August for my Master's, and I won't even HAVE a copy of that because it'll be forever before the thing gets printed and shipped. Do you think places will accept it, as long as I have the Bachelor's provided?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Will they accept what? You only need a BA and a passport from an English speaking country to teach legally in Taiwan.
sokunen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferfichkin wrote:
Can't you just get your family or friends to mail the original to you?

I won't have an address for them to mail it to me. If they would mail it to me in VN, it wouldn't here in time before I left for Taiwan. Also, VN postal system is a joke, and I would be lucky if the document would arrive intact.

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Will they accept what? You only need a BA and a passport from an English speaking country to teach legally in Taiwan.

Oh, I must have forgotten a word -- I wondered if they'd accept official in-progress transcripts. Some places look like they'd accept paperwork that shows that the degree is almost obtained. I was wondering if that would be easier than coordinating getting my other degree mailed to me.
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I won't have an address for them to mail it to me. If they would mail it to me in VN, it wouldn't here in time before I left for Taiwan. Also, VN postal system is a joke, and I would be lucky if the document would arrive intact.

Just have it sent to you FedEx when you arrive in Taiwan. If you do the quickest option it should be in Taiwan in less than a week. It would be expensive, but fast.

Quote:
Oh, I must have forgotten a word -- I wondered if they'd accept official in-progress transcripts. Some places look like they'd accept paperwork that shows that the degree is almost obtained. I was wondering if that would be easier than coordinating getting my other degree mailed to me.

To the best of my knowledge they only accept original degree in hand.

Good luck!
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to dig up this thread. I'm pretty much settled on Taiwan, it seems like the work situation may have advantages to other areas, pay is decent, it looks interesting, and I've heard good things about the people there.

Only thing - the prospect of pack up and go there to find a job seems a little strange. There are lots of job postings online, but many people seems to suggest going there and pounding pavement. Why, if there are schools posting jobs online? In that case, wouldn't you have more leverage for them to pay airfare/housing?

I have a degree in English lit, CELTA, I mean whats the advantage to going there and finding a job, while your losing money from not working. Plus, if you're already there, wouldn't schools have leverage over you since you are there forced to find a job? I mean, I have savings, but I'm thinking it may be better to spend it on training or something in the future. Would you be able to find a better or better paying job if you go there in person, so be able to recoup your moving costs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: