Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone working for QEHC?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the princess bride

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shine28 wrote:
Plus, since this thread is about QEHC.... there is no gym! Direct hires get to use the uni gym but for us... nada.

I am sorry you are dealing with that!
L├Ącheln

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She told me I would be in a apartment in PNU which has a gym and I can call my family over after I get my iqama, but will have to move out of their accommodation. I'm just hoping she hasn't lied about bring my family over, because I have a 2 yrs old girl, a 4yr old and a 8yr old who would think I have abandoned them.

Has any females had problems bringing family over? I know in Saudi they do not allow females to sponsor family, but their family can come on visit. Oh the drama....

Forget about bringing your family over. The girls last night just got told that no one can bring family over to live with them and there are quite a few who left husbands and kids behind under the promise of being able to bring them over. DO NOT trust a word they say about that. They are lying about many things right now and are not prepared to handle their contracts they have currently. Go with any other company, but do not go with QEHC. Not until they get their act together...which could be never.
Shine28

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sad but true... and there are quite a few women who have young children and were intent on bringing them out here to live. Not that a family could fit in the apartments anyway.
Sugarcubed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: QEHC: Beware Reply with quote

I'd like to quickly add my brief experience with QEHC to this thread in hopes that others do not fall victim to the company's unsavory business practices.

I signed a contract with QEHC in the beginning of July. As many of the other posters noted, the recruiter "rushed" the signing. Since I had just graduated with my MA TESOL a few weeks prior, I was happy to be rushed as I had just spent the last two years on a very modest stipend and was very eager to move the process along and mistakenly took this as a sign of efficiency.

Two weeks later, I was contacted by QEHC's grandly dubbed "International Visa Officer" who had delegated his task to the US-based Travel Visa Pro. Travel Visa Pro demanded a processing fee of 374 USD. I have worked in four countries prior to Saudi Arabia and in each case had procured my own visa without the aid of a company. I acquiesced in this case because:

1. The "International Visa Officer" was clearly clueless about the process and of little true assistance.
2. This was my first time filing for a Saudi work visa.
3. QEHC claimed it would reimburse the costs.

I hurriedly assembled the necessary documents which included a very pricey set of medical exams and lab reports. I sent my documents during the last week of July, well-within QEHC's requested timeframe.

Then I waited and waited, with both QEHC and Travel Visa Pro occasionally sending e-mails urging my patience and informing me that my degrees had been attested but my paperwork had yet to be officially filed.

In mid-September, Travel Visa Pro informed me that they were halting the process so that I could enter through Bahrain in an attempt to expedite the process. My documents were returned in a week and I was asked to choose a flight date within the next few days.

In my prior work experience, I had never been given such short notice in regards to my flight arrangements but as I mentioned before I was very eager to start working and even more so after such a delay that I complied and requested a flight leaving within two days. I only received a preliminary itinerary 24 hours before my requested date of departure. I immediately okayed it and went about my last minute packing and good-byes. I assumed that I would receive a confirmation within an hour. By the time I retired for the evening, I still had not received a flight confirmation despite two attempts to contact QEHC. I woke up the next day and I had still not received any word. I sent another e-mail four hours before I was scheduled to leave the house only to receive a glib reply that the flight had not been booked.

I gave QEHC a list of upcoming dates which I could fly out to Bahrain. The "International Visa Officer" sent me an itinerary for a day I expressly stated I could not make. I suggested he read the prior e-mail. He sent out the same itinerary the next day to which I did not respond. The following day he sent a brief e-mail stating it had been sent mistakenly.

That was the last e-mail I received from QEHC. I have been trying to contact them ever since but they have been ignoring both my e-mails and Skype calls.

They just posted an ad on TEFL.com advertising for teachers. If you are considering using them as recruiter, you are gambling with unfavorable odds. I lost around 800 USD from this venture. If they are willing to short-end employees before arrival in the Kingdom, it is safe to assume they will have no scruples in short-ending them once in the Kingdom.
jaffa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about all your problems. Recruiters ... the never ending study of uselessness. With 2 days notice, I was once sent an air ticket direct from London to Dammam BEFORE I was anywhere near getting a visa! Laughing When I pointed this out to the recruiter he got annoyed with me for ... pointing out his incompetence. When/If you get out here, you'll discover this is a recurring theme. Vaguely amusing at first, highly tedious thereon.
Shine28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked in many places and have never held the belief that serious professionals should be treated as many recruiters seek to treat us. We have studied and worked for our qualifications, just as in any other profession and as such, we should not expect or accept being messed about, lied to, screwed over or otherwise mistreated. Anyone from another profession that required moving your life to a new place for a substantial period of time would not accept the conditions that it seems to me many ESL teachers do. And it will go on, so long as people shrug and decide to make the best of a bad deal.
rollingk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Shine28! This foul treatment comes from not only recruiters but many others connected with the actual mismanagement of practically every aspect associated with workplaces here in the Gulf. And self-braindouching-polyanna-coworkers who make all these "allowances" for "the culture of the region" only make conditions here worse for everyone.

Mistreatment is mistreatment, and just because a people may be accustomed to ladling it out, doesn't excuse us for enabling them.
Shine28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you just hate those random, renegade 'a's? lol ;-p
Sugarcubed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Update QEHC Reply with quote

Hello again. I just wanted to briefly update everyone with my experience thus far with QEHC.

Since my last post, I still have yet to hear from the QEHC staff who were involved in my interview and visa procurement process. I was sent a generic mass e-mail on October 11th for a position at Berlitz Saudi Arabia from the person who originally put me in contact with QEHC.

As I have absolutely no interest in working for Berlitz, I politely declined. I also very briefly (and again politely) informed him of the loss of income and visa expenses which a QEHC contract has cost me thus far.

My e-mail was ignored naturally and an appointment to interview with Berlitz was set up without my permission. Needless to say, I did not honor this appointment.

Again, TEFL instructors come with a range of experience, credentials, tolerance, and expectations. I do not begin to assume that I know what is best for others. But, if I were speaking to myself four months ago, I would strongly advise those offered a QEHC contract to decline. There are already many recruitment agencies out there. You do not need to deal with a new company who has in such a short span of time managed to acquire a poor reputation.
Shine28

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people already here are leaving/planning to leave the company in significant numbers. I think a lot of new people who wanted to know about this company will have found this site too and perhaps read about your experience sugarcubed.
I hope you get a response from them and your losses reimbursed.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Update QEHC Reply with quote

Sugarcubed wrote:
There are already many recruitment agencies out there. You do not need to deal with a new company who has in such a short span of time managed to acquire a poor reputation.

Unfortunately, the recruiters aren't always the problem; many of the contracting companies they work for are themselves quite sketchy.
Sugarcubed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: QEHC cont'd Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind wishes, Shine 28. I doubt that I'll be reimbursed for my costs but then again I knew that this was a possible risk and accept the consequences without any bitterness. Such is life. I've since moved on but I don't want others to learn this lesson the way I did. When I signed my contract there weren't any posts from people who had actually signed a contract with QEHC. There were only posts from those speculating about the company's legitmacy after declining their offer.

If others involved with a QEHC contract will soon be leaving PNU, I hope they share their experiences. Mine is but one story. We'd benefit from more voices.

Lastly, I agree, Nomad Soul, that recruiters are but one piece of the puzzle but this is why this thread exists. It addresses a specific recruiter, QEHC. It's the title of said thread. There are already threads on PNU. Discussions such as these are designed to provide information to teachers regarding specific players in the EFL hiring field, from recruiters like QEHC to institutions like PNU. It gets a bit complicated when threads contain cross posts.
the princess bride

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Update QEHC Reply with quote

Sugarcubed wrote:
Hello again. I just wanted to briefly update everyone with my experience thus far with QEHC.

Since my last post, I still have yet to hear from the QEHC staff who were involved in my interview and visa procurement process. I was sent a generic mass e-mail on October 11th for a position at Berlitz Saudi Arabia from the person who originally put me in contact with QEHC.

As I have absolutely no interest in working for Berlitz, I politely declined. I also very briefly (and again politely) informed him of the loss of income and visa expenses which a QEHC contract has cost me thus far.

My e-mail was ignored naturally and an appointment to interview with Berlitz was set up without my permission. Needless to say, I did not honor this appointment.

Again, TEFL instructors come with a range of experience, credentials, tolerance, and expectations. I do not begin to assume that I know what is best for others. But, if I were speaking to myself four months ago, I would strongly advise those offered a QEHC contract to decline. There are already many recruitment agencies out there. You do not need to deal with a new company who has in such a short span of time managed to acquire a poor reputation.

I am really sorry to hear about this! They keep on sending me emails as well, "In case you are not already employed with our fabulous PNU job, here is a job at berlitz!" Rolling Eyes
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does Berlitz pay in Saudi Arabia?
babur

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: pay Reply with quote

Quote:
What does Berlitz pay in Saudi Arabia?
Less than Burger King.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: