Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

September 2013 - New Teachers joining Colleges of Technology
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: September 2013 - New Teachers joining Colleges of Technology Reply with quote

Have you received any news from your recruiters with respect to arrival dates? Have you obtained tickets yet?

I am still waiting so I am beginning to wonder if others have some insights -not getting too much info from my agency. Any info would be appreciated.
stanggg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not being sarcastic, but it does not surprise me at all that you have not received news or tickets. When I started, even though I was a direct hire, I got my tickets a week before I left. Even though I was ready to come before the semester began they brought me in after the semester started and prorated my first paycheck.

Getting info out of HR was nearly impossible for me. You have to just go with it, or you could try and call them.

I am sure this isn't going to help your piece of mind, but your situation is not out of the ordinary.
Peace
Stanggg
madrileno

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not alone.

I'm currently in Oman, and haven't heard anything! I called my recruiter today and was told the MoM is still processing applicants. Don't be surprised if they fly you in last minute, or after the semester has already started (as my current employer did to me when I first came to Oman).

Just one of the many pleasures that come with living in the gulf...
syntaxed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Oman Recruiters Reply with quote

My recruiter did send me an email yesterday saying that the ticket and visa were being processed. No reference to a completion date so, as usual, it is "hurry up and wait". Like you, wish I knew so I could complete my pack out, storage, etc. If anyone hears anything definitive, please post. Thanks.
cam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest from my agency is that I should make tentative plans to arrive on the 7th or 8th of September. However, this is not final so I should not pay for my ticket yet.......

Anyone else in the same boat - waiting to leave for Oman in September?
syntaxed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: ticket for Oman Reply with quote

I received my eticket and visa this week. I fly from USA on Tuesday, 27 August, for a Sept 1st start date.
nenna-978

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cam wrote:
The latest from my agency is that I should make tentative plans to arrive on the 7th or 8th of September. However, this is not final so I should not pay for my ticket yet.......

Anyone else in the same boat - waiting to leave for Oman in September?

Why do you have to pay for the ticket ?
Aren't you supposed to receive a ticket as a part of the package?

Just wondering......
cam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why do you have to pay for the ticket ?
Aren't you supposed to receive a ticket as a part of the package?

I opted for the wrong agency! I had the job lined up months ago and I just stayed with the same agency. Hopefully, I will get my money back for my ticket shortly after I arrive.
nenna-978

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Cam!!!!
cam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update - still sitting at home wondering if and when I will be heading to Oman. (Slowly beginning to accept that I might have to accept a job in another country rather than waiting for this one.)

Anyone know if most new recruits to HCT have already arrived in Oman?
madrileno

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cam wrote:
Anyone know if most new recruits to HCT have already arrived in Oman?

I literally heard from my recruiter today saying I got approval from the Ministry (the letter has been signed). I'm going to need to head to Muscat next week to get a no objection letter from the employer I just finished with, and another letter to allow my visa to transfer.

My recruiter explained that the Ministry held off until the last second to approve applicants with only BAs. This is the reason many were kept waiting for so long.
lizziebennet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madrileno, you should be fine. I got my visa transferred in 3 working days. Already changed over to the uni last week.
cam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick Update: No longer waiting to go to Oman......Conclusion is that CECN is a poor choice for anyone seeking employment in Oman.

The second last email I received on September 15, 2013 is below:

In a meeting yesterday in the Ministry we were told that the teachers should be here before 1/10/2013 or they will not take them.

On Sunday 15/9/2013, the PRO's will start chasing after the visa. I would give it 10 days so make your flight to arrive here on 24 to 25 September 2013. Make your reservation tentative now, do not buy the ticket until I tell you the visa is ready.

Sorry there are so many hurdles that we have to jump now. But it will work out.

The last email to my final request for an update on September 23, 2013 is below:

We are waiting for the visa letter.

BTW, first mention of a "visa letter" in my dealings with CECN. I assume that they fell over the hurdles and didn't secure the documents to get me there. (Hopefully, know one was injured in the fall.) Laughing

Advice for future teachers interested in Oman is to deal with more established agencies - I should have.
Exclamation
cam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the last update: CECN eventually got the paperwork done and I arrived in Oman about 6 weeks ago.

I had three days to find a flat and absolutely no assistance from the company. Two weeks later, they paid my airfare and part of the first month's salary. The second pay was late but I guess if you are patient the pay will make its way to your account.

In the end, CECN is not the best agency but if you get no offers from the other agencies then consider CECN.
revilo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Oman?? No mon! Reply with quote

I had an interview with TATI Oman and I got hired by Al Musanna in summer 2013. I go on vacation during Ramadan....relaxing in Dubai (or as much as one can relax during Ramadan). Meanwhile, days go by and I'm checking the email....nothing about a visa letter.
I call TATI and they tell me: "After they hired you, they checked their records and you interviewed with them 6 months earlier...you did not get hired. They unhired you."

There were 7 of those sleazball colleges to interview with and I made the mistake of interviewing with the same one TWICE! At this very moment, they are still recruiting teachers to come to Oman and experience their (ahem) "quality education." Evil or Very Mad Never again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: