Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ok...MLI...Honest Answers!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
menace2society32

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Ok...MLI...Honest Answers!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

I have just been scheduled an interview with MLI in Abu Dhabi. What is the interview like? About how many people a year do they interview? In other words, what is the likelihood of being hired? Also, generally speaking, what is the starting pay?? I have heard that most applicants have to have a Masters, which I do have. Is this true? Also, I have heard sometimes, teachers have problems receiving pay. What is the truth? Any info would greatly help. Is this a good program to work for? Thank you for your feedback.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read all the posts already here? Seems that many of your questions have been answered. There is a current MLI thread.

VS
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, we don't need another MLI thread.

I suggest that we hijack this thread and turn it into a thread about how we already have a bunch of MLI threads.

BD

P.S. We don't need another Yanbu thread, either, if anybody's thinking of starting one.
mli_vet

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Yeah, that's all we need. More moanin' about the MLI Reply with quote

Yeah, that's all we need. More moanin' about the MLI in a new thread. Another thread for certain posters to "hover" around and monitor.

You've heard right, menace. There are salary and other probs at MLI. Refer to previous postings. You'll get your money, just not all of it, and not when you think you ought to get it, until you'll finally forget how much they actually owe you and you'll just be happy you're getting what you're getting--better than nothing anyway. It'll get sorted out someday, insha'allah. Just like your accrued days of vacation.

MLI Vet
Over and Out
[email protected]
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeah, that's all we need. More moanin' about the MLI Reply with quote

mli_vet wrote:
Yeah, that's all we need. More moanin' about the MLI in a new thread. Another thread for certain posters to "hover" around and monitor.

Oh, no, the Vet is back from vacation! Everybody pretend to be serious. Smile
nowasta

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Me thinks we have a spy Reply with quote

Are you for real or just desperate for work? How can anybody be so positive about a place when so few people have anything good to say about it. And for the record, MLI admin didnn't change the vacation policy because of pressure from staff. They changed because they realized it would be a planning fiasco. Everyone would take their leave from Aug-Oct/Nov leaving no teachers in the building for the start-up of classes. Don't worry though. You'll have plenty of opportunities to get jerked around once you get here (if you really are coming Very Happy ). I'm sure they are busy planning new and even better ways to mess with people next year.
sandcity_uae

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Me thinks we have a spy Reply with quote

nowasta wrote:
Are you for real...?

BD, please no more fluffy, flippant posts. Be serious or seriously funny.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Me thinks we have a spy Reply with quote

nowasta wrote:
Are you for real or just desperate for work? How can anybody be so positive about a place when so few people have anything good to say about it.

Gosh, Mr. Wasta, I'm not trying to be positive, honest! I think my growing rep among you MLI boys is pretty funny, because most people who know me think of me as pretty darned cynical. The truth of the matter, from my perspective, is that I'm trying to remain neutral.

Am I desperate for work? I'm sitting on six bona-fide offers at the moment, Mr. W., and I'm kind of wondering why all of you guys who are not as (*ahem*) positive as I am haven't left the MLI yet. *You're* not desperate for work, are you?

And I have heard good stuff about the MLI. Not here, and not from you and your friends, but from other people in other venues.

As for the "spy" bit, it does not help your credibility one bit.

nowasta wrote:
And for the record, MLI admin didnn't change the vacation policy because of pressure from staff. They changed because they realized it would be a planning fiasco.

Sorry to say it, Mr. Wasta, but that sounds -um- positive to me. They made a mistake, they realized their mistake, and they rescinded their decision. Any way you spin it, they come out looking good to a neutral observer.

nowasta wrote:
I'm sure they are busy planning new and even better ways to mess with people next year.

Mmmm.... That doesn't sound like something that a sober-minded person would say, Mr. W.

BD
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Me thinks we have a spy Reply with quote

sandcity_uae wrote:
nowasta wrote:
Are you for real...?

BD, please no more fluffy, flippant posts. Be serious or seriously funny.

Sorry, Mr. City_UAE. I keep forgetting that this is a serious place. Or a funny place.

BD
nrandserial

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BD
Quote:
Any way you spin it, they come out looking good to a neutral observer.

No, try to increase your imagination. They stuffed things up for THEMSELVES, so they changed things. They stuff things up for staff, the staff suffer, no reason for change. Otherwise how can you explain how long it takes to adhere to contracts they signed with staff half way through last year and are still not honored paywise. Sure, they'll pay eventually ...

While I'm not as ascerbic about this place as MLI Vet, and it does have its good points, I confess that your comments about the conditions in MLI, but supposedly not being here, do grate a little. If I were to read about other institutions, I wouldn't be trying to spin information about them in a different light, I'd sit back and read, and make my conclusions including any other info I got from elsewhere.

As I may have said in other postings, the money is good, the accommodation is OK for singles or couples without children, the students are fairly pleasant on the whole, the workload isn't as onerous as in most other institutions in the UAE. There is a lot less BS about methodology than I've had in other institutions.

But I agree with Nowasta, they'll put you through the wringer when you get here and have you sweating on some administrative point.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Mr. Serial. Long time no see.

nrandserial wrote:
They stuffed things up for THEMSELVES, so they changed things. They stuff things up for staff, the staff suffer, no reason for change.

Yes, I agree that that's an important distinction. Thanks for pointing it out.

nrandserial wrote:
Otherwise how can you explain how long it takes to adhere to contracts they signed with staff half way through last year and are still not honored paywise.

Ah, here's something I didn't know about. I was under the impression that everyone's pay was up to date. I think I asked about this in another thread
and was told that (with the notable exception of Mr. Vet) everyone had been paid.

You see, Mr. Serial, this is more than a little confusing for an outsider. There still seems to be a fairly high innuendo-to-fact ratio in these discussions.

nrandserial wrote:
While I'm not as ascerbic about this place as MLI Vet, and it does have its good points, I confess that your comments about the conditions in MLI, but supposedly not being here, do grate a little.

My apologies, Mr Serial. I know that I can grate. Hell, I'm a born s.o.b.!

nrandserial wrote:
If I were to read about other institutions, I wouldn't be trying to spin information about them in a different light, I'd sit back and read, and make my conclusions including any other info I got from elsewhere.

To clarify my position, Mr. Serial: More facts and less innuendo would crowd out my interpretations and render interpretation less necessary. I look at that vacation business, for example, and it is now clear as a bell what happened. My sincere thanks to Mr. Wasta for his detailed and coherent explanations in regard to that situation.

nrandserial wrote:
But I agree with Nowasta, they'll put you through the wringer when you get here and have you sweating on some administrative point.

I'm not arguing that point, Mr. Serial. Never have. I'm just looking for a clear picture, and that requires me to question, question, question.

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this. All of you guys: Understand that you are performing a valuable function by dealing with this.

BD
4sure

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by 4sure on Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4sure wrote:
Bindair Dundat wrote:
All of you guys: Understand that you are performing a valuable function by dealing with this.

Would that be your personal entertainment, BD?

No, sweetheart, that honor goes to you.
menace2society32

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Sorry. Reply with quote

Didn't mean to start a riot. I should have just stuck to the original threads. Some of the input did help. Thanks.
skeptic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: suspicious omissions Reply with quote

Hello, all. I've been following this board for a week or two and have finally been granted clearance to post. I have a potential for offers from a couple of schools that have been much maligned: ADU and the MLI. What has struck me as odd, however, is that some of the posters seem not to be currently affiliated with the school, and the voices from current employees are few. (Regards to Nowasta and nrandserial Very Happy.) I was given the impression that the MLI has a fairly substantial presence in the UAE. How many teachers are employed there at this time? I ask this because it seems to me that--accepting the stridently negative comments posted here as gospel--there would be more current teachers joining in the fray. The relative silence from current staffers is telling. Could it be that they fear to post negative comments? If so, I applaud Nowasta and nrandserial for their courage. If not, I would really like to hear from other current staffers at the MLI. Is the working atmosphere there as disturbing as has been presented here? Has a mass exodus been planned? Is the information presented in the MLI brochures, as has been claimed, totally inaccurate? Is this organization to be avoided at all costs, or, as is the case with so many EFL institutions worldwide, is it a matter of learning to live with a number of not exactly life threatening irritants. I don't want to step into a den of vipers, and I thank the whistleblowers for their cautions, but neither do I want to summarily rule out a potential offer. I have been around enough to know that you will never find a perfect organization and you can learn to live with a few irritants if the overall program is solid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: