Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ok...MLI...Honest Answers!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: suspicious omissions Reply with quote

skeptic wrote:
I've been following this board for a week or two and have finally been granted clearance to post.

Yeah, we check you newbies out pretty thoroughly before we let you post. Smile

Check your Private Message box.

BD
tefllifer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reply to skeptic,
Lots of the recent issues about MLI discussed here have only affected a few people at MLI - those trying to get jobs elsewhere in UAE and those with Mas by distance - so that's why there haven't been posts by lots of MLI people. Also, in any place, there are those who don't read the ESL Cafe, those who lurk, those who don't give a toss about helping or advising others, those with an I'm alright Jack attitude and those who just don't care.
Like I've pointed out here before, some things only affect oldtimers at MLI and some affect new folk.
How can you really know who's currently at MLI and who isn't? People do their best to cover their backs, and here in the ME we have a network of contacts and people post on behalf of others who don't want to speak out themselves and so on, and people will say I have a friend of a friend and such when really they work in the given place.
MLI is still in a sort of transition and in a state of flux and has a new coordinator and all that, but it doesn't mean everything is bad.
Given a choice between ADU and MLI - go for MLI - there are a lot of plus points - everything I have read about ADU is negative - it sounds horrific and disorganised.
The whole deal is much better at MLI - ADU has a bad rep academically, whereas the MLI only has a bad rep administratively - it is still respected as an iacademic institution and as a bonafide employer.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Skeptic,

I would say that Mr Telflifer has given about the best summary of the current situation at MLI yet.

I would second his take that MLI is a better bet than ADU if those are your only two choices.

Good Luck,

VS
skeptic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clueing me in, tefllifer. I hadn't realised there was so much subterfuge in the ME tefler's life. What you say makes a lot of sense, and explains much.
bobo_the_circus_chimp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouls say that TEFLlifers's impressions of the place are pretty correct. In my humble opinion it is probably not as bad as some might say nor as good as the brochures might lead you to believe. There have been some administrative issues and problems for those with distance MAs. There is also a new curriculum coming next year and we don't know how that will pan out. It is true that some people have resigned this year. However, it is not nearly as bad as the stories I've heard about ADU. I would avoid that place.
blues clues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: MLI Reply with quote

Whine, Whine, Whine....all that people seem to do here. You know, we all learn from our own experiences. My advice to anyone seeking any job in M.E. or elsewhere is "just go for it"! What have you got to lose. I've been employed in different countries, have tasted those bad experiences and I'm thankful for them. Let's face it, there are more than a few irreputable ESL institutes all over the world. Once you've had a few bad experiences, you hopefully learn from them and don't repeat the same mistakes. As far as MLI is concerned, most of what I've heard about them has been positive. Someone close to me works there and he's very happy there. He has a positive outlook though. ..More than what I can say about a lot of ESL teachers in this part of the world. Whether they are in Abu Dhabi, in Thailand, Qatar, Saudie, if they're not whining about money issues, it's about the lack of females around. In the end, you're the only one who can decide, and if your msgs tell me anything about you, I'd say don't come out. sounds like you've already embetted a negative attitude about the place. Not all is about money, or at least it shouldn't be.......think about where you want to be and then...well.....just do it! it should be as simple as that....
grand fromage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BC, you sound scary. I think your "blind" optimism is dangerous, especially for this part of the world where you can get screwed in a heartbeat. I can think of many things you can lose if you're not careful. Examples? Sure: 3 months pay and a ticket home, passport, referneces, and most of all your precious TIME!!!

Could I just add that you sound like a supervisor desperate to get people over here. Please don't take this personally; I have been accussed of the same in the past-it's just your turn today Wink

Anyway, the reason I'm posting here is to say I have made a few comments about the MLI in the "Changing jobs: My experience with MLI and NOCs" thread.
mli_vet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Beware Infectious Enthusiasm Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing Big Cheese. Don't want to jump to any hasty conclusions though. Good to hear the changing jobs thing might not be as big of a deal as it has before in the past for some people. I'm going to adopt a cautious "wait-and-see" approach though. Just because one person reports no visa ban doesn't mean it'll be smooth sailing for everyone who wants to jump ship after "doing their time" at MLI.

Time to start the positive press to set the stage for the coming year's recruitment initiative. We love teaching at MLI Rolling Eyes --professional development, that's the ticket!

Enjoy your break.

MLI Vet
Over and Out
[email protected]
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware Infectious Enthusiasm Reply with quote

mli_vet wrote:
I was thinking the same thing Big Cheese.

Mr. Vet! Where have you been? I thought you had died and gone to hell, although not necessarily in that order.

Still hovering,

BD
mli_vet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Don't you wish . . . Reply with quote

Don't you wish VD . . .

MLI Vet
Over and Out
[email protected]
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Don't you wish . . . Reply with quote

mli_vet wrote:
Don't you wish VD . . .

Mercy, no! I wish you only the best.

So tell us, now that you've had some time to reflect, what do you think of the MLI?

BD
mli_vet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: It's a happening place, the UAE's best and brightest . . . Reply with quote

Reflections . . .

It's a happening place, the UAE's best and brightest . . . [CALL Lab--come on Abdullah, you can do it by the end of this Lab session. Type in your name and password] get that CV ready and apply today. [Stop visiting THAT site again Hamad, you're going to get me in trouble. Salem, please wake up and at least pretend you're in class]. Great benefits [I wonder if they'll get my salary right this month? What if some serious medical condition occurs? Roaches and bedbugs again--Mother of all cochroaches!!! Abu CoQroach], professional colleagues [buncha moaners and whiners--hey, why not?], and opportunities for professional growth [CV--taught military students keyboarding and surfing skills for X years, heck, got better at surfing myself during office hours, and learned a few words in Arabic like wayn salary, minfudluk? A happening place indeed. 84098INTA27858-2849-2984MAJNOON7839-99328716039-29485743-2948578-204.

MLI Vet
Over and Out
[email protected]
blues clues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: GRand Fromage REsponse, MLI Reply with quote

well GRand Fromage, for your information I am not in a supervisory position and not a recruiter. Just been working as an ESL Instructor for the last 10 years. All I was saying is that we learn by our past experiences and should try to learn from our previous mistakes..I also said I'd heard really good things about MLI from good friends of mine who've been working there for some time. If this sounds overly optimistic then maybe you've been here for way too long. I don't understand people who continue to complain about living in the Gulf, getting tax-free salaries, free-housing, tickets, etc......I've worked among this group of whiners in the past and it sure doesn't do anything to raise morale....Sometimes it's difficult for people to hear the words, "just go home", since they don't even know where that is anymore." Some people thrive on complaining, not saying you're one of those people, but if it's really true that you can work at the same place for any length of time and not have anything positive at all to say about it and continue to suffer (not in silence, as this seems to be the place to vent) then one needs to sit and
assess why you're hurting yourself so much.....own worst enemy syndrome?????
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well blues clues,

Just to come a bit to the rescue of Grand Frommage (not that he probably needs it), but if you go through the massive MLI archive here, you will find that GF was one of the longest holdouts fighting against the MLI critics.

But, this past year can only be described as a disaster - with the management change. By the end of the year, it looks like things may smooth back out.

Yes, there are plenty of whiners on this board. But, I wouldn't include Grand Frommage in that list. I have known quite a few MLI people, past and present - some were/are whiners, but most were/are experienced professionals who got caught up there in a bit of mess this year. Some departed and some are hanging on in hopes of improvement. We shall see ---

VS
grand fromage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support VS- much appreciated. However, BC has just proven, at least to me, that he/she has a lot of unresolved issues gnawing at him/her deep inside. In fact, they have clouded his/her judgement so much that the raction I got doesn't even reflect the posting that it was reacting to. I even went back to reread it, and to my satisfaction, I did not notice that I am guilty of any of all those "dreadful" charges Wink

BC, why so much melodrama? I am trying to keep it as rational and objective as possible. What gave you the idea that I am the sort of individual that you portray in your rather hysterical posting?

I am really offended...just kidding. You should see what I had to deal with after my earlier postings Smile Smile Smile

Ten years, you say. Maybe it's time to take a break and get rid of all that bottled tension? Best of luck from me anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: