Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Know about tax on receiving a used lap top?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toiyeuthitmeo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Know about tax on receiving a used lap top? Reply with quote

Hi all,

A friend in SE Asia is upgrading and has offered to sell me her used Mac for a very nice price ($150 which includes shipping). It's 6 years old but has had a new hard drive in the last year as well as constant upgrades and good care. I really need one ATM.

My question is, anyone know how much the postal / customs office will try to tax me to receive this? Any educated guesses or anecdotal experiences?

It's kind of tricky because, how do they assess a value for a 6 year old used laptop?

If the tax is any more than 2 million, for example, I would turn down my pal's offer. I just don't want to pay $250 for a used laptop that old, no matter what kind of shape it's in. Rather get together an additional $500 and get something new at that point.

Thanks for any help.
deadlift

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been able to find any rhyme or reason to the tax.

I was dinged $60 for a $130 kindle a while back. That stung. No tax on the second one, I think because I got it delivered to my place of work.

I would say that an i-anything will attract a pretty solid hit. 2 million wouldn't surprise me at all.
TRH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find someone to carry it in with their luggage then it should be duty free. I brought a used iMac into the country in its original box but obviously taped back up. At Tan Son Nhat the customs guy just asked "new or used" and after I answered he waved me through. If you ship it, that may be another story.
toiyeuthitmeo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responses folks. Unfortunately there won't be any way for the laptop to be walked into the country, so I think I won't take the chances. There are some worthy causes it could be donated to where my pal is working; much better than me leaving it at the post office to become State property because they've tacked a 4 million tax on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: