Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are the chances of finding a job by just going over?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoveTEFL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: What are the chances of finding a job by just going over? Reply with quote

I have a university degree and a TEFL/TESOL certification.

I am currently in the UK and am applying for jobs in Vietnam (Hanoi, HCMC, Hai Phong), but am finding it difficult to secure something - as many employers want you to come to their offices for a face-to-face interview.

Also, for some of the positions, I have read things about the companies that put me off - and you can never know exactly where you're going and what the teaching environment is like until you get there.

Just wondering .. is it completely crazy to just buy a plane ticket over there and try my luck on the job market in person??

Has anyone ever done this?
And were they successful in finding something good?
cb400

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming over is the best way. If you coming to Hanoi and are half way presentable with a cert. of some kind, you have a 90% chance of work. More schools are looking than teachers available.

HCMC is different and much more competitive. It will take longer to find full time and you might need to piece a few jobs together.

PM for some websites to help you get started, but I wouldn't contact schools until your a few days away from landing. Vietnamese do not PLAN anything at anytime so they will always need someone ASAP.

Good luck
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and you can never know exactly where you're going and what the teaching environment is like until you get there.

You may not know exactly what the teaching environment is like AFTER you get there. Very common for these folks to mislead you, and so you can be working under false impressions for a while. Just part of the work scene here.

It does not take the highest levels of skill to be able to do a lot of these jobs, so likely you will find work. However, that does not mean you will be a blazing financial success. This is a great place for folks who have incomes and who can survive without the work. It does take a while to figure out how to make it all come together, it took me forever before I could drive the city without getting lost. We have a lot to learn before it really starts working out.
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what Hanoi is like but I secured a couple jobs and several interviews in HCMC within a week. Part-time as said above but at least I am employed. Do agree that it's best to come with plenty of money. I had a great salaried position that I'm sure I lost because I took the first job (albeit a promising one. Just nice being able to say that you teach college) that came my way to get my feet wet that conflicted schedule-wise with the others. Kicking myself real hard but life goes on.

Don't rely too much on xe oms. Better to drop down $50-$70 to rent a motobike, get a map for $.25 from FAHASA and acquaint yourself with the roads. Pain in the ass the first week or two but once you get a handle on what roads connect to where you want to go things become much smoother.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggled with maps FOREVER, I did eventually figure it out, but after seeing 500 streets named Nguyen something, it got rather confusing. Wish they would do like Phnom Penh and go with numbered streets, that is so much easier to figure out.

I knew a guy who was farsighted and could not read maps. He would just keep the address he was seeking written down, and every so often pull over, show it to someone and give the international symbol for which direction should I go? It worked pretty good. I like the maps, seems like I am learning something, but his technique was likely more effective, plus it gave him more chances to meet and greet the finer elements of the xe om population!

Renting a moto for $70, I guess it makes sense if you may only stay a month or two. You can buy one for about $250 or so. If you are going to be here for a while, seems you might as well go for it.
cb400

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I moved to Saigon I struggled with the one ways that become 2 ways then 1 way again. Even though I have GPS I would never use it on the street as I was worried about the drive by snatching.

I agree with buying a bike for more than a few months, you get your money back plus what you save in rent. Fixing a wave or dream is cheap as chips and easy to sell once your leaving.

I know someone renting waves for 50 a month near the airport if anyone is interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: