Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

19 y/o German, no degree, little experience – any chance?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiterabbit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: 19 y/o German, no degree, little experience – any chance? Reply with quote

Hello,
my name is Manuel and I'm a 19 year old German guy. Currently I'm volunteering as an English teacher in a rural school in Isaan (North-Eastern-Thailand). I enjoy teaching so much, that I think about taking another gap year to become a real teacher. I could get a TEFL or CELTA certificate, work for 3-6 months and hopefully save some money to travel.
But this decision involves a big investment of time and money (If I don't start studying now I'll have to wait until October 2014 and the certificate is not that cheap as well), and I'm not sure about my job opportunities.

Personal background:
I'm not a native speaker but I speak English fluently, the teachers I asked consider it good enough for teaching. I also speak French fairly well and basic Thai, so I know what learning a foreign language feels like. I don't have a degree, but I plan to get the TEFL- or CELTA-certificate beforehand. I have some teaching experience (taught Thai kids aged 8-15 independently for four weeks) and the Thai English teacher of the school considers capable for teaching English, so I'll probably get a good reference.
The rest of my C.V. consists of another two weeks volunteering with children, 6 months work experience and 7 months traveling.
I'd prefer to work in Thailand, but other Asian countries are fine too.

Do I have any chances to find a job in Thailand with this C.V.? So far I got the impression that it's hard without a degree so which other countries should I give a try? Like China, Indonesia, Spain?
Would a TOEIC (probable score 90%) or something similar compensate for the fact that I'm not a native speaker?
If I can find a job, what salary can I expect? Can I maybe save something?

I need to make a decision soon and I'll appreciate any help Smile
Regards Manuel
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got two strikes against you: your nationality and lack of a university degree. Plus, some employers may even consider your young age (19) a negative.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's the reality, especially since the pool of teaching jobs for those without a degree is drying up. And that's for native English speakers. That being said, perhaps there are some opportunities in Europe. A couple of Cafe members teaching in that region can address that possibility.
sparks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can teach as long as you can get jobs. As has been wisely mentioned, not having a degree will really hurt you long term. If you like teaching and see yourself doing it long term, go back to Germany and get a degree in English, then you will have a chance.
coledavis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a degree in English and a teaching qualification, then you also have the option of teaching German.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the last two posters. Better still, consider getting that degree in an English-speaking country.
coledavis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the last post. It makes you fluent and allows you to make all sorts of really authoritative cultural allusions, which many students enjoy. Also increases your employability: you may come behind native speakers in the pecking order (through no personal fault of your own) but you will be way ahead of the non-native field and, if the native field is in fact rather weak for a particular job application, you might even pip them.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of degrees are taught in English in German universities, and I agree that would be a good choice. But personally I don't think the relatively small additional benefits of studying in an English speaking country outweigh the huge benefit of virtually free education in Germany.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the "get a degree" advice--sound as it usually is--does not really address the OP's questions. He is asking specifically about a GAP year; thus I think we can all assume he fully intends to pursue a degree. (And should I be wrong about that, then add my voice to the chorus, Manuel, and get your degree!)

Since you are already in Thailand, you may be able to answer some of your questions about you chances of working in Thailand from your co-workers. I would also suggest PM-ing our Thailand expert, tttompatz, once you have 5 posts, and posting your Thailand-specific questions on the Thailand country sub-forum.

As for your question about salary: no, you will not be able to save. As a NNS without a degree, and relatively little experience, expect to be at the lowest end of the salary scale.

nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xie Lin wrote:
All of the "get a degree" advice--sound as it usually is--does not really address the OP's questions. He is asking specifically about a GAP year; thus I think we can all assume he fully intends to pursue a degree. (And should I be wrong about that, then add my voice to the chorus, Manuel, and get your degree!).

Hard to say what the OP's plans are regarding pursuing a uni degree. He mentioned that he's thinking about doing another gap year to "become a real teacher" but only referred to taking the CELTA as a means toward reaching that goal. He further stated plans to then "work for 3-6 months and hopefully save some money to travel" --- post-CELTA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: