Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fun UK culture class for Chinese adult students.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus on the benefits the UK has to offer. Freedom of expression; freedom to protest on the streets or squares; a functioning post office; a banking system that is not tottering; open Internet with little censorship; robust environmental laws; ability to form an orderly queue; convertible currency; higher education based on academic standards; low levels of corruption in public office.... Make up some more rosey viewpoints. I think they'll love it!
JustinC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denim-Maniac wrote:
The idea of a culture class has been and gone ... but the 'British-ness' in my classes at this level comes from exposure to genuine news stories ... but I didnt realise quite how negative such 'recent research' stories are.

It really sounds like a basic schoolboy error ... but in using these stories I have flattened the general mood of the class. I need to be more careful in the future methinks!

Yeah some truthfulness in EFL presentations can go the wrong way, this goes doubly so if you're doing a prezi on their country.

In my CELTA training, in Barcelona, I had an exercise where I put TripAdvisor visitors' online reviews on the walls and asked the students to find the adjectives, verbs etc etc. In my haste I hadn't read every single word of the 5/6 texts, and missed the part where one review mentioned the amount of dog shit on Barca's pavements. Oops. Embarassed

I tried to placate my less-than-cheery students by saying I hadn't noticed any mess as I always looked at the fantastic architecture when walking around. The mood of that class never, fully recovered!
doogsville

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a PPT for a business English class on corporate entertainment. The exercise in the textbook, which is awful, had a long list of foods and the students had to put them into one of four categories; fish, meat; vegetables and other. To liven it up a bit, I showed a picture of each item, beef, potato, prawn, broccoli, cheese etc. The next slide after each item showed a picture of a typical UK dish made from that ingredient. Of course, not all of the dishes were from the UK, pizza, spaghetti bolognese (for pasta), but rather things that have become common in the UK. The reaction to some of the dishes was priceless. The students were genuinely amazed by what we do with foods they are also very used to eating. The prawn cocktail in a glass took a bit of explaining. I used it to illustrate how much the British palate has absorbed the foods of other countries and cultures too.

Showing them pictures of British Chinese food and having them guess what it is can be good too. Kung Po Chicken, what the hell is that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: