Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poznan...second most beautiful city in Poland?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has their own definition of fun, excitement, culture, life, etc.

I have a student going to school in Southern California who was excited to get there, but now finds herself uninspired by the concrete, faceless crowds and vulgarity.

Another was in Kansas whining about how boring small towns are and wanting to transfer to NYU or one of the Cal State Universities but then she bought a bike, made a few friends and now she's settled down.

Personally, I have enjoyed the smaller towns, forests, parks and countryside as a pleasant change-up from the hustle and bustle of the bigger cities. A couple of folks who tried Krakow first came out disillusioned, a couple of others voice sentiments about Warsaw's negatives. To each their own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dynow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: well.... Reply with quote

simon_porter00 wrote:
dynow wrote:
dragonpiwo wrote:

Loads to do if you can afford it but you're right Peter as outside the rynek it's concrete jungle or old kamienice mainly.

but isn't that pretty much......Poland?

but isn't that pretty much......like the rest of the world?

concrete jungles and kamienice? negative.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once again taking it to the narrowest of the narrow just to prove a point.

In England if you don't live in one of the bigger cities, you live in an identikit town with nothing to do.

In the States (although I'm absolutely positive you'll use your supreme all-knowing greatness about the states to tell me I'm wrong) if you don't live in one of the big towns, there's little to do.

In the rest of the world, if you don't live in one of the bigger towns there's little to do.

So yes, the rest of the world doesn't have concrete jungles and old flats but it does have it's equally as depressing and nothing-doing features of small town wherever as well.

So - is this another diatribe which could equally affect the rest of the world - yes.
oipivo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been living in Poznan for around 8 months now and enjoy it immensely. I find that there's plenty to do and they city is the perfect size for walking or biking around. Of course the outskirts are ugly as hell...this is Central/Eastern Europe. Nearly all the cities in this region have ass ugly outskirts with blocks of soviet style buildings.

Once again it all comes down to personal preference. I love the pubs in Poznan since many of them have craft beer and are small and quiet. I hate big loud bars. The restaurants can be pricey and not that great, but I like to cook at home anyway plus there are several fantastic budget options (Pyra Bar!). I find the people in Poznan to be far friendlier and more polite than any other city I've been to in Poland (Krakow, Warsaw, Wroclaw, and Gdansk).

Maybe my tune will change in the coming years, but I loved Poznan when I arrived and I am still very happy to be here.

EDIT- Although to call it the second most beautiful city in Poland is silly. Krakow, Wroclaw, and Gdansk were all a bit more aesthetically pleasing than Poznan, but that's not to say it isn't nice in its own way.
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_porter00 wrote:

In the rest of the world, if you don't live in one of the bigger towns there's little to do.

So yes, the rest of the world doesn't have concrete jungles and old flats but it does have it's equally as depressing and nothing-doing features of small town wherever as well.

But a heck of a lot do.....and many of those that don't, have cardboard, cast-off tin sheets, crowded sampans or plywood jungles along a muddy hillside. Take a really close look at Rio, Mexico City, Kuala Lampur, etc., etc., etc.

The states have their slums and their crumbling buildings. Scan a few headlines on Detroit where feral dogs have become a problem. The projects of NY, LA, Chicago and the like are legendary as well.

Smaller towns and cities have their own things to do for the tens of millions of residents who live there, many doing so happily and cheerfully.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: this is the final word on poznan Reply with quote

This sums it up......

Make your own Hitler video at http://downfall.jfedor.org/

Spot on......
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: ahem Reply with quote

Wrong link.....I think this is it.....made by long-time Poz residents.

http://www.therakeandherald.tv/culture/culturestory.php?id=1335&fb_action_ids=658939450791329&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%22658939450791329%22%3A1415656015315640%7D&action_type_map=%7B%22658939450791329%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D
dynow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_porter00 wrote:

In the States (although I'm absolutely positive you'll use your supreme all-knowing greatness about the states to tell me I'm wrong) if you don't live in one of the big towns, there's little to do.

i was commenting about architecture. but if you want to have that conversation, I guess we could.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: