Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

China Foreign Teachers Salaries Almost Lowest In World?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walsh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: China Foreign Teachers Salaries Almost Lowest In World? Reply with quote

Fergie wrote:
Hmmm... wrote:
Why all the fricking hype about China when the salaries paid to ESL & TEFL teachers in China are almost the worst (lowest) in the world? And please don't start trying to sell "the low cost of living" argument because that means zero unless you plan to live the rest of your life in China! I have a real student loan to repay in American dollars not Chinese yuan!

I just visited a website sent to me by a teaching colleague in Dubai and it blew me away www.ChinaScamBusters.com There are 87 countries that pay ESL and TEFL teachers better average salaries than China. Yeah, China may be better than Haiti, Dominican Republic and Uruguay but they were never even on my top 20 list anyway! My bud in Dubai makes $50,000 a year plus he gets a free apartment with no roomates!

And I think no other country scam and cheats foreign teachers more than in China (maybe tied with Nigeria!). So why when I do a google search for teaching jobs in China, all these glorious ads pop up making China sound like paradise? Maybe its a great and easy place to get laid (from what I read) but I need to make money and not come home broke!

I think all those bogus ads are just put up so agents and recruiters can bamboozle and swindle someone out of half their salary and don't care about repeat business. I have never seen so much misleading propaganda about teaching in my life than the China crap on the internet.

I disagree. Maybe this was true two or three years ago but today China salaries for foreign teachers are about mid-point on the world pay scale according to TEFL.com and the NEA. 23 countries pay better than China and 17 worse. For me personally the air pollution is a bigger problem for me than the low pay right now.

Okay, but now with the qualification requirements being more strictly enforced, will this mean the wages will go up to keep the truly qualified teachers from bolting to Singapore, Korea, or Japan? Not only do those countries pay a lot more but you can actually breathe fresh air year round. How much do you think the pay has to go up to keep, and get more real teachers working in China?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27
Page 27 of 27

Jump to: