Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally taking the leap...need input

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrWright

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Finally taking the leap...need input Reply with quote

Hello. I haven't been a big poster to this forum over the last few years, but some of what I'm about to say I've said before elsewhere, so please forgive the redundancy. Here's the sitch: I am a public high school teacher in Arizona, 8 years experience by June, and sick, sick, sick of teaching in this system. Like, I'm done. But I've hung on because I've been a single father all these years and my youngest turns 18 in May and is going off to college. So I'm "free" now, so to speak, and ready to make this happen. I am certified to teach History and Biology. I know, I am "qualified" to teach in international schools, but I am so burned out, and I want low stress, low pressure work, and those schools are just as bad in those departments as public schools here, some worse. So ESL seems the better fit, but I am speculating as I've never done it. I'm not too, too worried about money. I have some savings, that I would rather not need to tap, but just want to fund some travel for awhile. If I like it and want to do this more long term later I will concern myself with financial acquisition then. So any advise would be appreciated. I'm going to post this thread in a couple of different country forums, the ones I'm interested in teaching in. Just a warning so no one gangs up on me, lol. Please throw any and all (non-attacking) input my way. Thanks.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by plumpy nut on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

You are qualified to teach subject teaching in international schools in the LOS....there are literally hundreds of so called international schools in the LOS. Money is another story.....and so is competition for these premium paying jobs. Just come here to Thaiiland for the experience and NOT the money and am sure you will be offered a job as a teacher....Good luck! Smile
MrWright

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks EFL educator and plumpy nut. Any other takers? I would apprecaite your thoughts. I reviewed that thread link, that seems to be gone now, and it paints a very bleak picture. Is everyone that unhappy there? So teaching kids is problematic behavior wise. How about adults? Do they want to learn? Is it better at unis or language schools?
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrWright wrote:
Thanks EFL educator and plumpy nut. Any other takers? I would apprecaite your thoughts. I reviewed that thread link, that seems to be gone now, and it paints a very bleak picture. Is everyone that unhappy there? So teaching kids is problematic behavior wise. How about adults? Do they want to learn? Is it better at unis or language schools?

No it isn't very bleak. There are plenty of problems here, yes. And as far as a career goes being a TEFL teacher in Thailand isn't that great. There is better money and better working conditions to be found elsewhere. But if you like Thailand, and are here to enjoy the country and culture as opposed to making money and finding a long-term career, then it's great. Come for a year or two and enjoy yourself. You'll love it (so long as you know what you're getting in to).

International schools are decent options for longer term teachers, but they're highly competitive and face many of the same issues in regards to crappy administration and bureaucracy.

Know that teaching kids ANYWHERE is tough. Also, have you ever been forced to learn a foreign language? It's certainly not the most fun or interesting thing in the world. I know when I was forced to take 2 years of Spanish in high school I paid zero attention because I had no desire to be there, it wasn't until college when I chose to study a foreign language that I actually began to learn it. So keep that in mind as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: