Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bell School still owes me money!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dynow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
....the occasional kolbasa and hard roll if I am stuck.....

kielbasa! it's kielbasa!

sheesh.
Infinite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
I must admit it, I take my hat off to anyone who manages financially here teaching. I did nothing yesterday, mean nothing, except go for shabby meal which all 3 of us left and still did 500Zl. Eaten out twice in a week in Poznan and had two appalling meals. I'll stick to the restaurants I know. Having eaten out twice, been out for 1 drink (150ZL) and bought my son a pair of trainers, I've done 2,300 in 9 days. On what? I really don't know.

A sushi dinner at a VERY nice place in Warsaw downtown district for 4 people was half of that. A roasted wild boar in forest mushroom sauce with local fresh farm vegetables dinner for 4 costs half of that... wait... an entire leg of wild boar, freshly killed and a set of ribs ran me a 1/4 of that. I don't know where and what you're eating, but 500PLN for a meal sounds like you're using 200pln bills as napkins. 150pln for drinks? A NICE bottle of wine is 75PLN a bottle of top shelf vodka is 40PLN... unless you're hanging out with a group of Polish Hools after a game, you're not going to spend that much. Yes, there are places where a 1L Stein of proper, small, local brew is about 17 - 20PLN, but after reading your notes on Polish beer, I'm well aware that you wouldn't know what those look like. Dragon, I've pointed it out before, but your reality... the place where you dwell, must exist in some parallel dimensions where somehow, you're allowed to post on pages in OUR dimension... must be a glitch in the Matrix.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:
ecocks wrote:

kielbasa! it's kielbasa!

sheesh.

Not for me it isn't.

Sheesh!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

Infinite wrote:
dragonpiwo wrote:
I must admit it, I take my hat off to anyone who manages financially here teaching. I did nothing yesterday, mean nothing, except go for shabby meal which all 3 of us left and still did 500Zl. Eaten out twice in a week in Poznan and had two appalling meals. I'll stick to the restaurants I know. Having eaten out twice, been out for 1 drink (150ZL) and bought my son a pair of trainers, I've done 2,300 in 9 days. On what? I really don't know.

A sushi dinner at a VERY nice place in Warsaw downtown district for 4 people was half of that. A roasted wild boar in forest mushroom sauce with local fresh farm vegetables dinner for 4 costs half of that... wait... an entire leg of wild boar, freshly killed and a set of ribs ran me a 1/4 of that. I don't know where and what you're eating, but 500PLN for a meal sounds like you're using 200pln bills as napkins. 150pln for drinks? A NICE bottle of wine is 75PLN a bottle of top shelf vodka is 40PLN... unless you're hanging out with a group of Polish Hools after a game, you're not going to spend that much. Yes, there are places where a 1L Stein of proper, small, local brew is about 17 - 20PLN, but after reading your notes on Polish beer, I'm well aware that you wouldn't know what those look like. Dragon, I've pointed it out before, but your reality... the place where you dwell, must exist in some parallel dimensions where somehow, you're allowed to post on pages in OUR dimension... must be a glitch in the Matrix.

I was just in Berlin over the weekend.

Ate in an upscale place, browsed the coffee shops and stores.

Interesting for me was that of the dozen or so prices I checked, transportation and hotels were higher, food was the same. Picked up some clothing which also struck me as essentially the same but maybe the selection was a bit larger.

Happy to get back to Poland.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dynow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
dynow wrote:
ecocks wrote:

kielbasa! it's kielbasa!

sheesh.

Not for me it isn't.

Sheesh!

traitor!

my mother in law would have me hanged Very Happy
sparks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kolbasa. It's the ultimate Polish experience. I piece of intestine with mashed up meat AND a lump of the nation's favorite fossile fuel Smile
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

Infinite wrote:

I still want to know how he managed to spend 500zl for a meal in a restaurant that is basically a carbon copy of Sphinx. The only logical explanation is that the food cost 100zl and he accompanied the food with some very premium spirits.

http://www.gastronauci.pl/pl/11145-fenix-poznan

"cena dania głównego: 20 - 40 zł" - or in English - "price of a main course : 20 - 40zł". So - just how did he manage to spend 500zl for three there?

Either that, or he doesn't earn anything near what he claims and he actually spent 50zl.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

The matrix has glitched again and after 4 days in the UK, I'm back. The Polish missus is taking and empty suitcase next time as the clothes are so cheap in the UK. We have also agreed to stop eating out on Poznan as while we can remember really good meals in Sopot and other places we can't recall one decent one you'd write home about in Poznan. The missus was also impressed with just how friendly Brits are and how great the service is. It's just a much higher level of living. Prices are more or less the same but an average salary in the UK is much, much higher. My double en suite room was under 200Zl AT THE AIRPORT and my car cost 60Zl a day to hire. Find that in Poland.

I'm going permanently to the other side of the matrix. As the good woman said;'Let them eat sausage.'
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen from another part of Eastern Europe, those Brits are so POLITE ! And HELPFUL !
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
The matrix has glitched again and after 4 days in the UK, I'm back. The Polish missus is taking and empty suitcase next time as the clothes are so cheap in the UK. We have also agreed to stop eating out on Poznan as while we can remember really good meals in Sopot and other places we can't recall one decent one you'd write home about in Poznan. The missus was also impressed with just how friendly Brits are and how great the service is. It's just a much higher level of living. Prices are more or less the same but an average salary in the UK is much, much higher. My double en suite room was under 200Zl AT THE AIRPORT and my car cost 60Zl a day to hire. Find that in Poland.

By the way, I wonder what you were hiring for 12 quid a day, and to get a room for less than 200zl at the airport, you were almost certainly booking a cheap hotel well in advance - after criticising other people on here for making plans.

I notice you've got absolutely nothing to say about your alleged 500zl meal in a "restaurant" (anyone that knows Poznan knows that Fenix isn't a restaurant) where the main courses cost from 20-40zl.

As for stopping eating out - is that because you've been outed for speaking bollocks about Poznan restaurants and so you need an excuse to save face?

Quote:
I'm going permanently to the other side of the matrix. As the good woman said;'Let them eat sausage.'

Is that the side of the matrix where you have to live most of your life in a country where our own Foreign Office advises to stay well away from?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

The spend for the day was 500...I didn't say I spent it all in Fenix. No drink involved, just a meal, a few coffees and a bit of grocery shopping.

I'll be in Berlin for a few days this week, so much better. Booked the Ibis a week before I stayed in it and the car a few days before arrival. The Luton Ibis has a better room than the Hotel Merkure in Poznan, which is over 150 Euro a night (I've stayed there several times). And that's what car rentals cost on Carcrawler in the UK. Incidentally, we ate at Loch Fyne on day 1 of our UK trip. You won't find food like that or a similar setting/service in Poland anywhere and it was cheaper than the last meal I had out in a good Polish restaurant as was the wine.

Please call me out on restaurants-I eat in them most days. Can talk about high or low end all day long. Compared to somewhere like Sopot, Poznan's gastronomic scene is dire.

You live in your world Delph and I'll live in mine ta. Our paths won't cross.
I firmly believe that old Europe is a much, much better place in which to live. Comparing like quality for like is a no brainer when it comes to cost. Then again some people are quite happy to live on Biedronka food, drink in Piwo Pijalnia and stay in hostels. Fill your boots mate.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
The spend for the day was 500...I didn't say I spent it all in Fenix. No drink involved, just a meal, a few coffees and a bit of grocery shopping.

I do enjoy how the story keeps changing.

I quote -

dragonpiwo wrote:
I did nothing yesterday, mean nothing, except go for shabby meal which all 3 of us left and still did 500Zl.

You said exactly that - that you spent 500zl in Fenix. There was no mention of shopping or coffee - and you even stressed how you did nothing apart from that meal.

Quote:
I'll be in Berlin for a few days this week, so much better. Booked the Ibis a week before I stayed in it and the car a few days before arrival.

But weren't you previously insulting people on this forum for pre-booking? I can't be bothered to find the post, but I'm sure you ridiculed others for planning ahead.

Quote:
The Luton Ibis has a better room than the Hotel Merkure in Poznan, which is over 150 Euro a night (I've stayed there several times).

Hotel Mercure, booking for tomorrow - single room - 410zl. More bollocks, clearly. And that's for a hotel that caters almost exclusively for the business crowd.

Quote:
And that's what car rentals cost on Carcrawler in the UK. Incidentally, we ate at Loch Fyne on day 1 of our UK trip. You won't find food like that or a similar setting/service in Poland anywhere and it was cheaper than the last meal I had out in a good Polish restaurant as was the wine.

Loch Fyne is nothing but a chain pretending to be fine dining. As for the food itself - yes, you can't really compare seafood in Poland with the very limited stock from the Baltic to the UK that has fish in relative abundance.

You might be able to convince the Americans here that Loch Fyne is something exceptional, but having eaten there on some sort of 2 for 1 deal as a student, I know exactly what it is and what it isn't.

Quote:
Please call me out on restaurants-I eat in them most days. Can talk about high or low end all day long. Compared to somewhere like Sopot, Poznan's gastronomic scene is dire.

I wonder why you keep going on about Sopot like it's some sort of wonderland. Most of us that live in Poland know Sopot for what it is and know that it's nothing special. It's certainly not a place known for high quality restaurants.

[qupte]You live in your world Delph and I'll live in mine ta. Our paths won't cross. [/quote]

Nope, they won't. While you're living in a warzone, I'll enjoy being able to travel freely and without having to put up with any nonsense Smile

Quote:
I firmly believe that old Europe is a much, much better place in which to live. Comparing like quality for like is a no brainer when it comes to cost. Then again some people are quite happy to live on Biedronka food, drink in Piwo Pijalnia and stay in hostels. Fill your boots mate.

I think the truth of the matter is that for whatever reason, you can't make it work in Poland. But please don't assume the rest of us are living the life that you want us to live - I think most people on here have made it very clear that they're enjoying life. On the other hand, you don't seem to be enjoying yourself at all. If you were, you wouldn't be constantly posting about how terrible Poland is.

I have to be honest - if you're renting 20 quid/day cars in the UK, flying WizzAir and eating in Loch Fyne, well... sorry, but you're not exactly living the high life yourself.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Clueless Reply with quote

This is my last response on this thread and for it I'll return to the OP. It doesn't surprise me that Bell school still owes you money. The chain schools for which most people work in Poland are pitifully tight fisted. The 100Zl a day you'll earn at Bell (rent not included) will leave you with about 60Zl a day. The 2 pizzas we had delivered yesterday cost 60Zl. So go figure.

With regard to making it? Yeah go and teach 30-40 hours a week. I'm sure you'll be teaching really effectively. I've done it. I remember having to write reports for my 20 groups of 15 students and how difficult it was to recall which Ania was which in a class that had 5 Anias. My 8 hours on a Saturday were just what the doctor ordered. My pals in Poznan earn their extra money by translating, writing blogs, editing and doing web design. I wrote for a best selling magazine and did recording/voiceover work. I think you could say 'I made it'. However, I then made an informed choice when my circumstances changed ie kids etc came a long. Long-term it's a financial catatstrophe as many will find out when and if they get sick, divorced or come to retire.

Regarding Delph and his love of internet searching for prices all I say is this; go to the hotel and ask. The net prices are not what they offer you at the desk. I know because I stay in these places on occasion as do my visiting friends. The nicest places I've visited in Poland is without doubt Dom Wypoczynkowy Pod Strzecha in Giewartow. Thai Thai in Sopot closely follows that. Of course the 5* hotels in Warsaw do some good spreads too. However, Poznan's culinary scene is dreadful. Whether it's Toga, Fenix, Tapas, Room 55, Valpolicella, the Taj India, Peking, the various sushi places, the City Park high end eateries, the place in Solacz by the lake etc etc -it's all drab and dreary, overpriced stuff you could cook better at home. I'm not alone in this, my mates here all agree and they've been here a lot longer than most on this forum. We all concur when it comes to the dire state of EFL employment in Poland too.

My high life is, in fact, something a few people on this forum have concocted in their own heads. I fly scheduled airlines mostly but have to use Wizz to fly from Poznan to London as Poznan actually has terrible connections. I own a car in Libya and one in Poland but rent when I visit the the UK, which is very rarely these days. A quick glance at any map will show you that the Ibis and Holiday Inn are the 2 hotels nearest departures. The Luton Ibis was actually better re the room quality than most of the hotels I've ever stayed in in Poland and I've stayed in hundreds all over the place. Long gone are my days of renting a room with backpackers and that's just what happens when you get older and travel with a family.

Did I enjoy teaching Poles? Yes, I did.

Is Poland a place where I'll optimize my happiness? I doubt it. I don't mind living here at the moment because my son is not yet 18 and my fiancee has a sick parent. Long-term, this is not where I want to be. I love sunny places and beaches, eating out, decent music, travelling with creature comforts, good clubs and places where the people are generally jolly and helpful, so no doubt we'll move eventually. Libya affords me a high standard of living, but I don't think it's for everyone. Only those who have actually walked a mile in my shoes have any right to comment on the place.

I'm off to the bank today yet again to explain to them that only because I have UK bank cards can I book stuff on line like cars. Despite having hundreds of thousands of Zl in cash in my Polish accounts, a karta and my salary paid into them, I still have the useless Visa electron as does my pal, who's a millionaire and has lived here for a decade. I need bank cards that allow me to function on my travels. My accounts at WBK, Millenium and Deustsche Bank are largely friggin useless for anything other than depositing money. The bureacracy here is mind boggling. They really need Indian admin staff as it would all run like clockwork then. From my health care to my son's school, I've gone private and I comply with all tax laws in the Uk and Poland. I want nothing save the usual banking stuff that Poles are entitled to when they work in the Uk and send money home. It stinks of racism and nothing else. Then again the country is hardly a model of transparent, liberal, democracy. Corruption is rife and attitudes are far from liberal.

Good luck to you all. I'm off to buy my son's snowboard, which is a month's wages at Bell. Go on Delph, get on Gumtree and find one for a Zloty.
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, watch the shifting sands of the stories. This saga has more missteps and spin than an Obama campaign speech.

I don't know about that "convincing the Americans" comment Delph. I cannot recall any food experiences beyond "decent" in the UK. When I would visit our headquarters in London there was a queue of Brits to take me to lunch which was ALWAYS at Friday's (4 times in a week, the 5th was me and my boss breaking away to Brighton for lunch along that downtown beach area - the locals told us we would be disappointed but the fish was okay and the beach interesting in its own way). This was despite begging them to take me for fish and chips, a decent steak (they said Friday's was the best I could hope for) or "decent" breakfast with real sausage and over-medium eggs (hot toast would have been great too!). To each their own but I have never had a Brit tell me to visit the UK for the food. Some of the locations were memorable due to the atmosphere and history. There was a place in Havant and another in Brighton that I enjoyed in terms of atmosphere but the meals were only so-so. My guess is that convincing us may be more difficult than expected.

Note: I am sure that you guys have some "better-than-decent" restaurants SOMEWHERE but you are fiendishly effective at hiding them.

I'll validate your memory in that I also remember disparaging remarks about those who have to shop for their vacations versus (bragging about) not having to worry about pre-planning. Now it's talk of chains, search engine pricing systems and discount carriers. Topped off by trying to appear nonchalant while moaning about the banking horrors...

"Spot on" with the travel comment. Despite my own issues with the Schengen legality at least I am not terribly worried about roadside bombs, ambushes at the Embassy, death by friendly fire or hostage rescue options. Razz

Yes, lots of misinformation presented. Mercure in Gdansk is 280zl for a double room while in Poznan it's 291. Only a real rube would pay 150 Euros for those. Holiday Inn was founded in my home city but I haven't stayed in one for at least a decade, except for the Crowne locations they're the low-end back in the States.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

You may not know that Poznan has 20+ trade fairs a year. Room prices sky rocket during such times. I spent 2003 to 2009 staying in its hotels.

Sounds like you worked for IBM Ecocks. There are fabulous restaurants in and around Bosham, Emsworth, Petersfield, Portsmouth, Wickham and Brighton. I am from that area in the UK.

When I was an options trader in London, TGI's was the place we often met cos everyone knew where it was and the bank had a connection with them. It's bog standard food, especially in London, where there are some of the best restaurants on the planet, which rival NYC or Paris. Loch Fyne was excellent the other night and packed to the rafters. It's next to the dock where the fish is landed. Delph continues to talk tosh and I suspect that as usual he's never eaten in that particular one. Like the Poznan hotels he's never stayed in.

I'll continue to post about the Polish reality of EFL teaching and living in general.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: