Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Struggling to find an english teaching job in japan...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redstanggt01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Struggling to find an english teaching job in japan... Reply with quote

I don't know if I'm the only one feeling this way. I graduated back in May 2012 with a Major in International Business and minor in Marketing, and since then I've been trying to find a English-teaching job in Japan. I've applied to Interac and JET twice and haven't even made it to the actual interviews, and I've also applied to Berlitz, A to Z, ECC and AEON and other companies in Gaijinpot. I failed the pre-screening interview with Berlitz and most other companies wouldn't even bat an eye on me. I have a 120 hour TEFL certification I obtained last year in November and I have study abroad experience at Kansai Gaidai. I also have tutoring experience, though it was only for two weeks because during my study abroad term in spring 2011, I had to evacuate due to the tohoku earthquake.

I've been applying for teaching work in Japan for about 1 1/2 years now. My friend says that it may be best for me to go to Korea for a year in order to gain experience and transfer, while my mother says that it may be best for me to stay home and spend six months in getting my teachers certification and license. I plan to teach abroad for three years before I decide to go for my Masters. Personally though, my feelings are more towards Japan than Korea, and I'm not sure about working in that country because I don't have that strong of an interest in Korean culture, nor am I in any sort of financial debt. On the other hand, I have a strong passion for Japanese culture and I've visited the country three times before. I'll also be going to japan again in November for two weeks to see a friend. Personally through, I feel very frustrated and I'm at the point where I'm considering going to Korea as a stepping stone to go to Japan, although Japan is where I truly want to go. Should I post my resume on here?
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should go check in over at the Korean forum. A lot of those kids have also been rejected by Japanese EFL companies. It's not really a big deal, however, because English teaching opportunities in Japan have been declining for years now. It's just not as easy as it used to be.
Vince

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering your major and minor, many TEFL employers would probably see you as a flight risk.

Have you considered looking for work with a company from your country that has offices in Japan? If you really want to teach, I'd suggest getting your masters and certification, then looking for a job with an international school.
redstanggt01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, why would my major and minor be considered a flight risk? My degree required me to study a language for 5 semesters and I was also required to study abroad. I'm not seeing the reason.

Considering though that if it is true and that because of my degree, that I can't find a teaching job in Japan, I feel like I now want to throw up due to the majority of my sacrifice of doing college, staying out of trouble and spending years writing essays being a waste....
marley'sghost

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redstanggt01 wrote:
Out of curiosity, why would my major and minor be considered a flight risk? My degree required me to study a language for 5 semesters and I was also required to study abroad. I'm not seeing the reason.

Considering though that if it is true and that because of my degree, that I can't find a teaching job in Japan, I feel like I now want to throw up due to the majority of my sacrifice of doing college, staying out of trouble and spending years writing essays being a waste....

We could speculate that an employer would see your shiny, new International Business/Marketing degrees and assume that once you get here, you will split halfway through your contract for a dazzling, jet-set, business career complete with a corner office and private secretary.
But, I don't see it making you a flight risk either, unless you come off looking as cool as James Bond during job interviews.
Don't get frustrated and throw in the towel yet. Step back and look at your options again.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
many TEFL employers would probably see you as a flight risk.

This is nonsense.

Many teachers with non-related TESOL degrees such as business, economics, history, sociology, law, physics, etc., are working at every big name eikaiwa in Japan - e.g., ECC, AEON, GABA, Berlitz, NOVA.

I was one of them and many of my coworkers also held non-TESOL related degrees. Very few actually do hold TESOL related degrees.
redstanggt01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I guess....when I read that, I was really stressing out at the time. TBH, I really want a teaching job badly in Japan. I know a lot of you would say that it's not as great as it used to be, and I understand but, Japan really means a lot to me, more than I can ever put in words.. Developing a career in Japan was my focus from the very beginning I started University. I just feel that I've come a long way and I would be really pissed off at myself if that dream was never realized.. This isn't just something I planned on a whim...

Also there isn't much I can do with a Bachelor's in International Business anyways, that and despite myself taking over two years of Japanese, I haven't used it in a long time, so I'd consider myself basic level at this point. If I had a Masters in International Business on the other hand, then yeah, I'd most likely be able to find non-teaching work overseas.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're competing with many experienced, skilled people on the ground in Japan (except for the JET Program, which requires candidates to interview in their home cities).

I'd say look at other countries like Korea and China. You are close by, and those job markets are better places for starting TEFLers.
nimaime

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling to find an english teaching job in japan... Reply with quote

redstanggt01 wrote:
Should I post my resume on here?

It can't hurt, you might get a few bites. I did (not from here but other ESL sites). I didn't accept the jobs though because the locations were a bit too inaka for my tastes and/or the salary was too low.

I'm kinda in your situation so I'll tell you my story. I applied to JET in 2009, I got an interview but nothing else came of it. I was rejected from ECC and AEON as well. I went on to get a CELTA after these trios of rejections and came to Korea where I've been for 3+ years. In the middle of my 2nd job I did a homestay/language study in Fukuoka for a summer to get the Japan bug out of my system and it worked for the time being but now I find myself wanting to try Japan again. I'm going to apply for JET one last time to at least say I tried and see if my travel experience, JLPT certificate, homestay, and CELTA will help this time around, I had none of those when I got my first interview. If I don't get in I can at least put my mind at ease knowing I tried my best.

If you can't make it to Japan and come over here instead, there are some pros.. for example, you can visit Japan often. I've been able to visit 6 times including several other Asian countries and manage to save money as well. Furthermore, the food is awesome, and you can get around easily since public transportation is cheap, easy to use and goes everywhere. Is it inferior overall? Most people, including myself would have to say yes, but you can't have your cake and eat it.

I don't really have any regrets, I made friends and travel experiences I wouldn't trade for any job in Japan. I might end up there in the future, I might not, but my point is it's not the end of the world. Good luck!
timothypfox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what people are saying, what would improve your chances is to get some teaching experience with international students. If there are no language schools in your area, be aggressive about setting up private language lessons. Put fliers up around a local campus and charge $15-20 bucks to help with conversation, accent and writing. Try setting up several language exchanges with Japanese people to meet with every week. You can post around a college campus for this, or you can use a website such as: http://www.japan-guide.com/ and click on language exchange. This site is also good: http://lang-friend.com/us/

Language exchanges can appear as part of your Freelance ESL teaching on your resume.

Just a thought.
redstanggt01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys think then that I would have a lot better chance landing a job in Japan if I gain a year's teaching experience for teaching in Korea? If I could, I'd like to teach a year in Korea then go job hunting for work in Japan afterwards.
rxk22

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redstanggt01 wrote:
Do you guys think then that I would have a lot better chance landing a job in Japan if I gain a year's teaching experience for teaching in Korea? If I could, I'd like to teach a year in Korea then go job hunting for work in Japan afterwards.

I think that is the best bet. Will show job stability on top of experience.
Also from Korea you can hop over to japan and job hunt. Can't do that as easily from abroad
nighstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redstanggt01 wrote:

i think that gaining teaching experience in S. Korea (or any other foreign country) will definitely help. all of the interviews that i've had for jobs in Japan, Korea and Hong Kong very much involved questions about my 3 years of teaching experience as an ALT through JET + my 3 years in Australia. had i lacked that experience, i'm not sure i would have even gotten many of those interviews...

not only does teaching abroad put teaching experience on your resume, but it also shows a potential employer you're ability to live and work in a foreign country for an extended period of time. the more experience you have, the better. 1 year should be the minimum, imho.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head off to China or South Korea. Get some experience. You may find that you are no longer interested in Japan.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard to get work. I need a job for next year.
One guy I worked with quit last month and works in China.
The pay is pretty good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: