Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Advise
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris78

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Need Advise Reply with quote

First time looking for a job in Poland and landed my first interview with the director at the language school...they need me to prepare a 90 minute conversational lesson..I got tons of stuff that I'm looking at but would welcome any tips or advise from some of you seasoned professionals. I really want this to go well...
dynow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots and lots of variables with conversation-based classes.

but, in general, a good rule of thumb is to design the lesson so that everyone is asking questions. Poles, even advanced learners, flub sentence structure when asking questions so when they ask something and it's got flaws, correct it and then continue to answer it or have another student answer it. also, if THEY'RE asking the questions, it's something THEY are interested in knowing, otherwise they wouldn't be asking it.

get them to ask each other stuff and correct as they go without being too disruptive. you'll kill their confidence if with every mistake you go off on some tangent about present perfect or some continuous tense issue to the point where they forget what they were asking/talking about.

if they do a lot of staring and appear to be the type that just want to sit there and be taught, force the issue. reel it back and make it more open ended and broad so that there's nowhere to run and they can't use the excuse, "well, I don't really know much about that subject in particular." it's not lecture, it's conversation. make sure it goes that way.

in my opinion, conversation classes are to get the students to improve the usage of words the students already know. anyone can sit and study a dictionary but forming coherent, quality sentences takes practice and if they're not yapping away, they're not practicing.

consider something like this: ask all the students what they did over the summer. vacations, sports, travel, whatever. carefully choose a couple of them that you think will generate the most interest and then write on the board those students' names and their topic. choose a name on the board and tell the class you want to know EVERYTHING about that trip or that long weekend at the beach or whatever it is they said they did over the summer. they're going to ask things they want to know and the student's answers will continue to feed the conversation. If they get stuck, go ahead and ask your own question or suggest something they've left out. When it goes completely dry, move on to the next name on the board.

in the end, the topic doesn't matter. you can talk about absolutely anything and language can be learned all the same, you just gotta get them all talking....with confidence. nobody wants to talk when they think the instructor is douchey, even if the students all get along really well.
Chris78

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good one to get things rolling. Thanks Smile
salamiandbacon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe nobody's said it yet.

It's ADVICE. It's a NOUN. ADVISE is a VERB.

Why do "English teachers" get paid poorly, I wonder?
Chris78

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you never made a mistake? Mr Perfect eh? I saw that as soon as I posted but can't change it now..
sparks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to mention it but restrained myself because, yes, everyone makes mistakes. It is a bit of a common native speaker error to mix the two though...
Chris78

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
I was going to mention it but restrained myself because, yes, everyone makes mistakes. It is a bit of a common native speaker error to mix the two though...

You should have. Nothing wrong with constructive criticism.

Cheers
salamiandbacon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was spelled that way twice: in the subject and in the post itself.

That's why I picked on it.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teachers ? They get they're money for nothing. Their a bunch of no-gooders. I guess its the same everywhere - even in the USA, although I have never been their.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
But if he had titled the thread 'Need an Advice' or 'Need Some Advices', then the reaction would have been: Get off the forum you native-speaker-job-stealing, salary-lowering Pole. Wink
sparks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But if he had titled the thread 'Need an Advice' or 'Need Some Advices', then the reaction would have been: Get off the forum you native-speaker-job-stealing, salary-lowering Pole. Wink

I need Polish teachers, especially in team teaching. It's the only way the students learn anything concrete Smile
TiffanyHoran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: They're, Their, There. Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Teachers ? They get they're money for nothing. Their a bunch of no-gooders. I guess its the same everywhere - even in the USA, although I have never been their.

Oh, I think you might need this:

http://www.better-english.com/easier/theyre.htm
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for you to enrol in Irony 101.
TiffanyHoran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Trolololol. Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Time for you to enrol in Irony 101.

No, I don't think so.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Trolololol. Reply with quote

TiffanyHoran wrote:
No, I don't think so.
You show him, Tiffany! How about some more links to grammar websites?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: