Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Israel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr. caligari

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xie Lin:

You got me. And, yes, I did switch topics in the middle of the thread. My subtopic was electro/psytrance parties. I took to raves because I don't really drink and find bars depressing, and I can always use more exercise (dancing).

I've successfully taught in the US and East Asia and posted my own rave photos, sometimes with me and students I ran across at the event, on fb. Never a problem. However, once in an East Asian country, I skipped a rave and there was a mass arrest. I was later informed that it was common in that country to bust a whole party and then submit all the attendees to urine/blood tests. I would have passed, but it would not have looked good.

Anyway, at this point, unless I get a call directly from Aramco, I'll probably end up staying in the US.

caligari
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr. caligari wrote:
And, yes, I did switch topics in the middle of the thread. My subtopic was electro/psytrance parties. I took to raves because I don't really drink and find bars depressing, and I can always use more exercise (dancing).

I've successfully taught in the US and East Asia and posted my own rave photos, sometimes with me and students I ran across at the event, on fb. Never a problem. However, once in an East Asian country, I skipped a rave and there was a mass arrest. I was later informed that it was common in that country to bust a whole party and then submit all the attendees to urine/blood tests. I would have passed, but it would not have looked good.

Two words: common sense. And frankly, a US employer might have issues with how you conduct yourself outside of business hours, even if you haven't broken any laws.
dr. caligari

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never a problem here. In fact, it was usually considered admirable that I had so much in common with the students.

That's why I asked about other countries.

caligari
Gulezar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Party with the students Reply with quote

dr. caligari wrote:
Never a problem here. In fact, it was usually considered admirable that I had so much in common with the students.

That's why I asked about other countries.

caligari

Not a good idea in the Gulf. It's very easy to be pals with the kids, but wait until the grades comes out; the claws will come out, too. Some students may seem to be very cool and with it, but you never know what the uncle or Mom or Dad might think. These countries have undergone rapid cultural change over the last 50 years. Literally, some of the grandparents were living in caves. The least little whiff of political or social problems and some foreign teacher somewhere will be found to be the cause of the moral decay.
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Israel and subsequently worked in the Gulf, but they didn't stamp my passport - they gave me a temporary card. It worked for me.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr. caligari wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
dr. caligari wrote:
I took to raves because I don't really drink and find bars depressing, and I can always use more exercise (dancing).

I've successfully taught in the US and East Asia and posted my own rave photos, sometimes with me and students I ran across at the event, on fb. Never a problem.

Two words: common sense. And frankly, a US employer might have issues with how you conduct yourself outside of business hours, even if you haven't broken any laws.

Never a problem here. In fact, it was usually considered admirable that I had so much in common with the students. That's why I asked about other countries.

Sounds like raves serve a different purpose to you other than providing a venue to exercise. Anyway... Employers in this conservative region won't consider this type of behavior "admirable" for the reason that Gulezar gave but also because it implies a sense of impropriety of a different manner. As such, teachers found fraternizing/"friending" with students are likely to quickly find themselves out of a job, or at the least, put on notice.
dr. caligari

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems like, at least for now, I won't be heading to the Middle East. It will be a back-up plan. A few parties advised I might be better off if I can get a decent job in the US. East Asia may also be a back-up plan.

caligari
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those teaching in the M.E. will be relieved. Mind you there are hundreds of other undesirables standing in line waiting for the gates to open.
dr. caligari

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL.

Outside of the $ and the streetfood, Israeli psytrance parties are the only things I find of any interest in the Middle East.

caligari
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed out on Space Cadet Training, so had to resort to Wikipedia to find out what this poster is talking about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_trance
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that we are too old to ... um ... appreciate this sort of thing. Laughing

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya bunch of fuddy-duddies. You're both crossed off my invitation list. I want only kandi kids and ravers - makes for an interesting mix.

You're missing a mind-blowing experience, though.

I have seen the things that you can only dream about... I have been there!

I see myself for what I truly am... and the moments I've had, the marvels I've witnessed, the wonderful truths I've seen!

The night falls and you close your eyes to sleep and dream. I have seen the things you can only dream about... I have been there!

Psycho
John
dr. caligari

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
I missed out on Space Cadet Training, so had to resort to Wikipedia to find out what this poster is talking about.

LOL

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
AH/HH
dr. caligari

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An authentic Israeli Trance Party!

http://djoybeat.com/events/astral-projection-live-israel-221113-3d-vision-party/
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Ya bunch of fuddy-duddies. You're both crossed off my invitation list. I want only kandi kids and ravers - makes for an interesting mix.

You're missing a mind-blowing experience, though.

I have seen the things that you can only dream about... I have been there!

I see myself for what I truly am... and the moments I've had, the marvels I've witnessed, the wonderful truths I've seen!

The night falls and you close your eyes to sleep and dream. I have seen the things you can only dream about... I have been there!

Psycho
John

What you talkin' 'bout Willis?

[Gary Coleman, R.I.P.]

Warm regards,
sane_fat_chris
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: