Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: SOS Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
Been in Japan for 3 now weeks doing a TESOL course which I will complete in a week on top of my degree and many years of ESL teaching experience in Asia. Started applying for jobs basically since the day I got here but nothing so far except for an invitation to attend a presentation by Aeon that basically led to destination nowhere, I am 47 and it seemed to me that Aeon is keener on the younger types. Sent out well over 60 applications through gaijinpot also directly through different websites belonging to different schools but nothing. Had my covering letter + my CV checked by some TEFL heavyweights over here in Tokyo and they said there's nothing wrong with it. Forgot, I did get a few responses but all asking for the same, a valid work visa which I don't have. Does anyone know of a public school or a language school desperately seeking a teacher at the moment? if you do please pm me. Many thanks!
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem you have is that it takes several months to sort the work visa out. So a school that is desperate for a teacher needs someone who already has a visa. (Unless you plan to work illegally in the meantime, which is a can of worms you should open with great care, as it's a big risk for you).

Sorry I can't offer anything more positive, I don't know anywhere that is recruiting people without visas right now. But you are probably primarily facing an administrative hurdle, rather than there being something 'wrong' with your applications, experience, etc..
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard now to find TEFL work in Japan. Even the big chain eikaiwa are picky as hell. I interviewed recently for a job in Shinjuku and didn't get it, although I thought the interview went well. It's an employer's market these days. Thousands of young gaijin lining up for only a few jobs.

I've recently starting looking seriously at postings in China, which may tell you how positive I'm feeling lately about finding something in Japan.
Rooster.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a job once in Japan is a lot easier. If you can make due, try some of the "lower level" eikaiwas.
flow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I did. But whenever I apply I either hear nothing back or receive a short email asking about my work visa. Work visa WHAT? I don't have one coz I am still jobless..... on a tourist visa. Besides, it's clearly stated on my resume I have been here in Japan for a month. I mean can't they read English? Sad

The job situation in Japan is really REALLY bad at the mo even for experienced degree / TESOL qualified teachers like myself. Unless you're a young Barbie or a Ken or a Brad Pitt, your chances of getting a job (from my experiences job hunting) are pretty slim imo Exclamation Sad

They say the situation could improve after January. Not too sure if I can stick it out in this expensive place until then Question And, good lord almighty transportation and rent are so freakin high Shocked
steki47

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you missed one of the peak hiring periods. Most schools hire for April or September starts.
Having said that, there are two job openings on this site. One is immediate and the other is for a January start.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flow wrote:
Actually, I did. But whenever I apply I either hear nothing back or receive a short email asking about my work visa. Work visa WHAT? I don't have one coz I am still jobless..... on a tourist visa. Besides, it's clearly stated on my resume I have been here in Japan for a month. I mean can't they read English? Sad

The job situation in Japan is really REALLY bad at the mo even for experienced degree / TESOL qualified teachers like myself. Unless you're a young Barbie or a Ken or a Brad Pitt, your chances of getting a job (from my experiences job hunting) are pretty slim imo Exclamation Sad

They say the situation could improve after January. Not too sure if I can stick it out in this expensive place until then Question And, good lord almighty transportation and rent are so freakin high Shocked

I don't understand why you are trying so hard to get something in Japan when there are all kinds of jobs, and better jobs, being offered in China and Korea.

You, and TEFL'ers in general, need to go to where the work is. And it's not in Japan!
deadzenpoet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flow I hit 47 next week and thinking of coming over in Feb if I can't get recruited here. I taught in Japan 8 years ago but not sure that will hold up. Thailand will be my backup. Are you applying throughout Japan? Have you thought about Nagoya and other cities? I would think there is too much competition in Tokyo ne?
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it.

You'll waste your savings.

Try China or Korea.
deadzenpoet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar I would love to check out China but due to a medical condition, that doesn't seem possible right now. My passion is Japan and I think if that is one's passion, then one should stick to that. Thailand would just be for the novelty and teaching experience. Trust me I would consider China in a heartbeat if I could.
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! I can't give you a job Im afraid but I can gvie the next best thing.....advice! Very Happy

You could try to apply to places in the countryside like the bored of educations in the areas. Wink

Its tricky with no visa though. Sad Also you could try kindergardens and nursery schools and places like that. Wink

Good luck! Cool
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bored of education.
LOL.
Bakainfidel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea the job situation has gotten so bad here that I am thinking of leaving. Korea is sooooooo much easier to land a job if you don't mind going through all the visa red tape like background checks and such. I 'm married to a Japanese woman,so can work legally, and am still having trouble finding something decent. Lots of kindergarten dancing gaijin clown jobs though, so if you are really desperate might want to apply to those.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: